A tale of two Best Browns...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentbulldog

Reaction score
As popular as FVF is on the tobaccoreviews site, I've always enjoyed Best Brown more.

But I'm perplexed by the comparison between Sam Gawith Best Brown Flake and Gawith & Hoggarth Best Brown #2

When I smoke BBF, I detect that little bit of Lakeland, moreso that I do the BB#2. In the case of BB#2 the lakeland is spread out throughout the bowl, whereas BBF provides a more acute hit. This is strange because G&H is known for that Lakeland essence. There are times I wonder If I accidentally picked up the wrong jar, but that's not the case.

These two are my staples for straight VA's yet I can't get my head around it. I'd be dumbfounded if it was a blind test and wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

What's your take on these?

Best Brown is fine by me. It's a little sticky and needs drying out, but it's a solid smoke.

I still haven't tapped into my small collection of aged FVF, but it's so hyped, I almost want to hate it by that alone.

8)

Kyle Weiss":4qo6fvit said:
I still haven't tapped into my small collection of aged FVF, but it's so hyped, I almost want to hate it by that alone.  
Well I never, just sort yourself out right now young man, verbal abuse of the FVF is totally unacceptable do you hear me, now grab yer tin O'FVF and have at it, you naughty boy!

Briar Spirit":zj9y34m2 said:
Well I never, just sort yourself out right now young man, verbal abuse of the FVF is totally unacceptable do you hear me, now grab yer tin O'FVF and have at it, you naughty boy!
It'd be hilarious to find out it's just steamed/pressed Troost without the sugar. Sammy G's laughing at everyone for that little prank. :p

Kyle Weiss":ln7ijslq said:
It'd be hilarious to find out it's just steamed/pressed Troost without the sugar.   Sammy G's laughing at everyone for that little prank.    :p
OI!!!! Now you've done it, how dare you reveal the secret of secrets of the FVF, oh now there's gonna be some trouble, just you wait until 'they' find out what you just did, ooooooh you're in turrubble now Buddy.

I don't smoke much SG BBF because I much prefer FVF. That being said, I have never picked up the Lakeland scent in the SG offering. It has always stuck me as a lighter, sweeter FVF.

On the other hand, I would consider G&H BBF#2 to be firmly within the category of Lakeland scented aros. Its on the lighter end of the spectrum, but I get Lakeland through the entire bowl.

I'd take FVF over BBF by a fair margin. Not to say I don't like BBF, but I'm one of the many who really, really dig FVF.

That said, I'd take Sam's Flake over either of them any day of the week.

I also like BBF more than FVF (but only slightly). It may be my favorite tobacco. I don't get any lakeland scent, though. I haven't tried BB#2. Philly boys stick together.