A true Brother from across the big pond

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon my mailman ( being politically correct HE is a Mailman :twisted: ) dropped off a package from across the big pond from Plymouth, England!! I only know two folks personally who live in London, but none from the southern coast of England !! After doing a bit of sleuthing I found the culprit, our own Pirate, alandapd !! :twisted: :twisted: In the package was a picture of his ship, a lovely tiny squat straight Rhodesian briar, bowl size about the size of a small clay marked BRITISH Made in England and a nice black sateen pouch with a lovely Faux Mil Bit ( it has a standard mortise/tenon stem/bit which goes into a rounded nickel end piece marked Hardcastle's Trophy covered in a velour/suede type material in an Apple shape about a grp 3 in size !! A pipe without 'baccy is basically worthless and brother Adam did not send me worthless pipes he included a 50g pouch of Condor long Cut ( brown pouch ) and one of St. Bruno Flake as well as a package of pipe cleaners and a neat cylindrical pipe tool/tamper with it all !! :twisted: :twisted: I've now smoked two bowls of each and wold have to agree with many about the Condor being a somewhat soapy/fruity scented flavor flake that does rub out well ( it comes as nice long narrow flakes in the pouch) lights easily and is smooth yet highly flavored as many have noted. Not as badly as the boys in the Lakelands top blends, but still obviously topped !! Not a bad smoke, but definitely different !! Now the St. Bruno , THAT'S a different story !! It also has a fruity topped pouch smell and is presented in the little foil sealed plastic tub inside with some nice thin dark brown flakes neatly stacked !! They also rub out well and with about 15/20 minutes of dry time are ready to be loaded and lit !! None of the pouch aroma is in the smoke, just a nice full smooth va based blend which has none of the fruity essence in the smoking !! I can understand why it is one of the top 5 selling blends in the UK !! It's to bad we are not able to get it regularly over here !! I've jarred them both up to make 'em last !! :twisted: :twisted: This is one of the most marvelous things that proves the folks here are BROTHER'S ! Brother Adam I THANK YOU !! :cheers: :cheers:

I'd like to see that pipe!

This-thread-is-useless-without-pictures.gif

It is amazing how small and generous the global pipe community has become via the internet.

riff raff":94cs9a8w said:

This-thread-is-useless-without-pictures.gif
Please send me your digital camera as all I have are film Nikons. Otherwise we'll have to wait till my photog friend comes over and I'll try to remember to have him take pics !! :twisted: :twisted:

Adam, is a good man no doubt! ;)
Enjoy my grouchy friend

I'll try and help out with the pics.
I don't have one of the tiny rhodesian but the Hardcastle is one of the three shown on the left below:

All six were owned by an ex Hardcastle worker but the Trophy's were the only ones stamped (on the caps).
One thing mombla didn't mention was that, as I didn't expect him to be that keen on 'flowery' blends, I also included three satchets of Heinz ketchup as optional flavouring :)

Thank you Adam!! I did go on the web and found a c of a Hardcastle's Trophy and pics of the two pouches of 'baccy for the bro's who have NEVER seen them !! :twisted: BTW funny how everyone refers to them as Hardcastle which they are now, but the original firm . pre- dunhill was spelled with an apostrophe s !! :twisted: :twisted:

The Hardcastle's Trophy:

St. Bruno Flake:

Condor Long Cut:

I'm guessing everyone knows what Heinz 57 packets look like ? 'cept THESE are Euro packets with contents given in6 languages and the weight is 11g-10ml!! :twisted: :twisted:

And if ya don't know what pipe cleaners look like OH WELL :twisted: :twisted:

And sorry Adam but I can't show them the pic of your ship but I'm sending it to my 5 yo grandson who's BIG TIME into PIRATES !! I'll tell him it's from my Pirate friend over in England "olde Black Adam the fierce" :twisted: :twisted:

Gorgeous pipe, and one of my favorite shapes! As Al stated, the online pipe community is a special brotherhood! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Real beauty of a pipe there for sure! Well done Alan! Michael enjoy them in rude good health sir!

Jim

Fr_Tom":bce7hv9n said:
riff raff":bce7hv9n said:
We need a picture so we can be properly jealous.
A more fitting statement cannot be found in this forum.

Congrats to assailant and victim.