A very weird pipe smoking experience!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations on the success of your club's revival! :cheers:

I suppose I've been fortunate over the last few years to be able to find good places to smoke in public. Everywhere I've been there's been a decent to excellent tobacconist where I could light up a pipe or cigar with a group of pals.

Now, as far as public references bars, restaurants, museums, etc., I haven't smoked in any of those since I left Louisiana 4 years ago(never museums, but I would like to have had that experience once). I have smoked pipes and cigars while taking a walk to work or just to stretch the legs and been accosted by non-smoking fiends who would posit silly questions like, "You know that's going to kill you, right?" or "Would you put that out? There are children playing nearby." Of course I'll answer "no" to the latter question when I'm in a public park where smoking is still allowed, but I generally walk on by those who'd ask the first. Perhaps if I were more clever I'd fire off something witty that would shut them down, but that's not my bag, so I just give them a sideways glare, blow a plume of smoke into the air, and on I walk.

If I were able to light up in a bar and have no one approach me or look at me sideways for more than 5 minutes, I'd be surprised. It's great to hear that you've found a great public place to enjoy your pipe and the company of friends!

Three cheers!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Excellent story!

I tend to smoke on my own, alone and hidden away from the scrutiny and prying eyes of the public. Which is odd, I do this out of consideration, yet I still get people who approach me to talk about my pipe and "how good it smells." Staunch anti-smokers, too--who as everyone knows, can't keep a lid on their opinions, usually. :)

There's hardly a pipe club here, however, there's a "pipe party" every month at the local Tinder Box, our only brick and mortar place (as sad as that is...), but it's better than nothing. I don't like staying too long because of how much smoke builds up in the room, and eventually my lungs begin to protest and off I go.

I always have a good time jabbering with the other pipers, though--always fun. 8) I love the age range, walks of life, opinions and personalities that you find at those gatherings.

Quote "just finished a political thriller novel" Unquote

Not to get too far off the beaten path here but, I reckon there's a lot of that to write about nowadays. :study:

I had a funny experience today. Having been cooped up in the house I decided to stretch my legs and take a walk around the city. Walking along by the river smoking my pipe and minding my own business a young lady and her boyfriend, following some paces behind, started a conversation about 'young fogeys'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Fogey

I may well be mistaken, but I think that my pipe may have ignited their conversation topic.

Gumball":whce2ow1 said:
I had a funny experience today. Having been cooped up in the house I decided to stretch my legs and take a walk around the city. Walking along by the river smoking my pipe and minding my own business a young lady and her boyfriend, following some paces behind, started a conversation about 'young fogeys'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Fogey

I may well be mistaken, but I think that my pipe may have ignited their conversation topic.
Young Fogey's a new term for me. And a wikipedia page to boot!

Thanks!