A wee bit of help - New stem vs repair.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreadgerbil

Reaction score
So, I got this cheap little pipe on ebay a while ago. It wasn't from one of the sellers who I usually buy from, know and trust. But I just saw the pipe and fell in love with it.
It was wonderfully cleaned other than the stem being more stained than described.
They even mentioned that it had been over twisted in the past and so the metal cap had pushed futher down over the wood than it was meant to and left the screw in stem a bit loose.

Well, I could fix that easily enough so I bought it for a song. I smoked it once. It felt good in the hand, smoked nicely and overall I was really happy with it.

However, when I was taking measurements to see how much I needed to move the cap/if I'd need a replacement cap I overtwisted it and snapped the stem off in the pipe.

I can get the remainder out easily enough. But I need your opinions. Should I just hunt high and low for a stam and cap of the right size and buy them or should I send it in to someone to be professionally repaired. If so, who?

I REALLY like the current stem. It's part of why I bought the pipe. It's strong but with a little chewy give which I like. Has a wider opening at the tip rather than the usual slit. I just really like it.

Any ideas?

Frenchie.jpg

I have never used them but they say Walker Briar works is good, there are a few other pipe repair people but at the moment there names escpape me. I imagine you could search on here and find several and reviews of there works.

Unless I had the experience working with screw tenons and the shop facilities and tools, I would NOT atempt to repair that one myself. If it is a good smoker and you do like it ALOT I would send it to Walker Briar Works: http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/ . I've had several pipes and stems repaired by them and would recomend 'em to fix your pipe. I'm a SMOKER first and a repairman NEVER :p ( I do the same with my cars :p )

thanks for the suggestions. I may have to go ahead and do that.

I've done a fair amount of pipe repair before and never had an issue. I guess this is what happens when you get overconfident and don't pay attention!