AAA membership - is it worth it?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All-

I'm considering the possibility of a AAA membership. Just had a quick look at their website and annual fees are pretty affordable, but are they reliable when one needs roadside assistance?

Anyone here a member, and what is your experience with them? TIA.

Cheers,

RR

My wife is a member. I am not. It is a great thing for her to have because I work 25 miles from home and can't run home if she has a flat/whatever. She had a ball joint fail once and the tow was quick.

I've always had it. I figure it's worth the 50 bucks or whatever to know that if you break down somewhere or get locked out far from home, or at night, or both, you have a central number to call, they take care of the rest, and they give you a fairly accurate ETA. That's better than waiting for the police, since you don't have their number either. If you're 300 miles from home, how do you know whom to call? Is 911 applicable? If it is, doe it work everywhere? Dunno. That's my basic rationale: that number. And I'm too cheap to pay for Onstar.

Just signed up to the RAC (Royal Automobile Club) for the 28th year. I've probably been overly loyal and could find cheaper elsewhere. Nonetheless, £10 / month covers my wife and I at home and throughout the rest of Europe for when we're on holiday. Comforting to know my wife and children can get moving again if I'm not around.

Decision could be influenced by how old your vehicle is and whether arrival at a destination in a timely manner is critical. If not, phoning a preferred garage to recover and fix may well work out to be the cheapest option.

Likelihood versus consequence?

My wife and I both have memberships. Our here in the Western US where things are often few and far between it can sometimes save your butt. For us...once a broken timing chain and we needed a tow...twice for a dead battery replacement...once for a jump start. It’s insurance. If I lived in an area where it might be dangerous to be stranded due to sketchy neighborhoods or dangerous weather (hot or cold can kill you) I’d do it.

We’ve also used it to get good discounts on purchases on numerous items, and motel discounts.

We’ve also used it to get trip planning and travel reservation services...like a travel agency.

If you get one tow you’ve paid for it many times over.

Was just reading the reviews for OnStar, the General Motors satellite-connected thingy with many gee-whiz features. Run like hell! I'll stick with AAA.

I had it for about 20 years and it certainly came in handy. There were waits of course depending on how rural my location was.

I’d also say that since dropping it I’ve had no need for it. Knocks on wood.

You might also want to look into wether your cell phone provider has a similar program. I believe there might be plans but at a lower rate, or at least that’s what my father told me recently.

Keep in mind.

You may already have similar towing on a credit card. New cars often come with it as part of the deal.

Having said that. It does ease Cathy's mind knowing she has AAA. We, can often get a tow faster ourselves. But AAA does have a reimbursement thing. So we pay for it and they send us a check later. $123 a year I think for us both on RV Plus or whatever they call it. They will go further distances I think, than they do on the standard membership. She destroyed a tire and came close on wrecking the rim this spring. $160 and they covered it all in a tow of nearly 45miles. Dealer took care of the tire under warranty. They gave us a deal on a rim repair. Guy did a nice job for the size of the gash in it.

We have made use of it several times in a similar manner. Often what AAA wants to do is send a tow out from 30-100 miles away. When we are 5 minutes from a tow truck and can get her off the Interstate quicker. Just write good reimbursement letters.

We have been a member over 20 years now.

Hmmm......My auto Ins policy does have towing included, but need to revisit how many miles it covers. Think it may be 50 miles and I'd like to at least double that.

Before I sign up for AAA the first thing to do is research my existing policy and see what the limits are, and if they aren't sufficient what additional coverage can be added and for how much. No sense paying for essentially duplicate coverage.

Right now, the only advantage I can immediately see is that there is a central toll-free pone number to call when one has AAA. Otherwise how would one determine who to call for assistance?

Am I missing anything here? Starting to have second thoughts.

Cheers,

RR

My wife drives more than I do and visits the kids a lot, over 200 miles each trip.  So, we got AAA to be on the safe side.  In the 2 years we had it, we never used them for anything.  I guess we are just lucky in that respect.  We dropped it this past year.

A nice side benefit to AAA is that is that most motel chains offer a discount to members. The discount is generally the same as the AARP discount. I won't join AARP because of their hard left wing political activity.

I think you can get a 10% off shipping discount at UPS too.

Oops. I just googled it...the discount is 5% off shipping...and 15% off “other services”...whatever those are. Copying? Paper products? Whatever.

I just used it to save $30 extra a night over the "special" rate for an event at a Hyatt Regency. It pays to ask.

The real reason we got started on it, is that there is a local AAA office in Springfield, IL. Cathy has no sense of direction. So when she traveled she always stopped in there, grabbed maps and brochures. She is a planner. Not like me and my family, where in 15min or less I can go to......Florida. Or wherever. Just decide to hop in the car and go.

Absolutely! I've been a member for over 25 years, 40 before that on my folks membership. I've needed them several times and knowing they are there is a relief. Now that I'm much older and have medical issues, I wouldn't think of not having their quick and efficient service. I've used them 3 times in the past 5 years and would have been screwed had it not been for them. The cost is well worth the peace of mind (what little I have left).

pepesdad1":lqh0kqs8 said:
Absolutely!  I've been a member for over 25 years, 40 before that on my folks membership.  I've needed them several times and knowing they are there is a relief.  Now that I'm much older and have medical issues, I wouldn't think of not having their quick and efficient service.  I've used them 3 times in the past 5 years and would have been screwed had it not been for them.  The cost is well worth the peace of mind (what little I have left).
Now there is a testimonial if I ever heard it. Thanks Walt!

Cheers,

RR

I love AAA. Great discounts on hotels and other assorted stuff. Also they show up in a pinch and save me money. Had a few flat tires in remote areas (mountains of New Hampshire) and they show up rain or ahine