Absinthe Cocktails & Recipes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

The only thing I've found I like it with is root beer (diet). I've read it's good with Benedictine liqueur too but I don't feel like dropping $35 for an herbal liqueur I've never tried.

I love liquorice so I like the flavor of absinthe. It's just a little much for a drinking session.

I think it's it's just Ouzo, with a different label.
Liquid licqourice....
But then what do I know know?
I'm drunk on Scotch... :drunken:

I actually remember liking Benedictine quite a bit at some point... just very herb-y I remember.

Of course, that was before I found Scotch. And Rhum Pecoul. 8)

Edit: I remember there being a drink in a bar I used to freguent that had absinthe in it... it was calle suicide, but goddamn I can't remember what went into it! Also, a Finnish rapper called Paleface mentions "absinthe-whisky on rocks" in a song that tells about stupid-drinking. :lol: Only the mention in the song makes shivers of disgust run through my spine every time. :lol:

Absinthe and whiskey are not as horrible together as you might think--the great Sazerac cocktail is mostly rye, flavored with just a little bitters, absinthe, and sugar syrup.

http://cocktails.about.com/od/s/r/szrc_cktl.htm

But if I have real quality absinthe, I'm going to take it with a little cool water and nothing else. (I'll use a cheaper pastis if I'm mixing.)

Long, but a must watch! Very entertaining :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YTvx11Fsq9g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Doc Manhattan":hh92gmte said:
Absinthe and whiskey are not as horrible together as you might think--the great Sazerac cocktail is mostly rye, flavored with just a little bitters, absinthe, and sugar syrup.

http://cocktails.about.com/od/s/r/szrc_cktl.htm

But if I have real quality absinthe, I'm going to take it with a little cool water and nothing else. (I'll use a cheaper pastis if I'm mixing.)
I tried a Sazerac at the last NYC Pipe Club meeting. It was way too sweet for my tastes, this was at Cafe Tabac, perhaps it wasn't made correctly. My daughter lives in New Orleans, I'll have to try one at the hotel next time we are down there. The daughter did gift me some Peychauds bitters, but I need to find some Absinthe.

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder. Must be an aphrodisiac. :clown:

Very good video. Thanks!

I try to venture off the beaten path on booze from time to time, generally around the holidays or when I have spare change in my pocket. The Absinthe was a "let the drunk guy loose in the liquor store and see what he comes out with" event. It sits behind the booze staples on my cupboard and mocks me. Like the woman you see around town from time to time you remember from a drunken fling. Awkward...

Another one on my list is Akvavit. The only I've see in town is Aalborg (750ml @ $15). Most likely also in the realm of absinthe, ouzo etc.

Pimms is another odd liqueur I tried and it's a favorite summertime drink. Pimms, gin, ginger ale and cucumber!