admit you read comics

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brennivin

Reaction score
I do. I know they're often dismissed as disposable junk if not just for kids in the US, but dang it, I'm pushing 40 and still find more and more great literature in the form of a comic book every month.

I'm not really a reader of the typical big publisher super hero stuff myself. Although a couple 'cape' books have been added to the pull list lately, they're not really the typical stuff. Usually more complex, along the lines of Watchmen, etc.

Some older titles I still swear by:

Grendel - by Matt Wagner - the definition of epic. This incredibly well written and creatively illustrated book explores not just the ideas of hero and villian but expands that mythology into how it fits into the world, and on to the developments of religions and politics.

Sandman - by Neil Gaiman - one of the only comics to ever win non-comic literary awards (only to have the genre snubbed from future possible wins). The reason being, it's really a pinnacle of the concept of 'story'. It's history we know, mythology we're familiar with, and fiction that's new woven together seamlessly.

Some new titles I'm getting into:

Daytripper - by Gabriel Ba - an obituary writer's daily life and death. It's hard to grasp a bigger picture at this point, but the sincere humanity with which each confounding issue is written erases the concern. You'll wait to find out.

Demo - by Brian Wood - a short story collection of sorts. Each issue stands alone, but is tied together by the idea that there is potential for something extraordinary in the world. For better or worse.

I, Zombie - by Chris Roberson - just launched, but quickly compelling. Not remotely your typical horror story, but the story of a girl, trying to get by, who happens to on occasion need to eat a human brain, and has to deal with the fairly unique issues that raises.

I may not actually read comic books anymore but I will admit that the 1st thing I look up on a daily basis is Dilbert and Get Fuzzy

I was raised reading comics, and I still do, esp. in omnibus collections (just like renting a whole season of a show on Netflix.)

Even if I wanted to deny this, I couldn't--my handle here is a comics allusion.

My wife and I enjoy the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight comics quite a bit.
Can I admit that here? Is this a safe place?
Also Stephen King's Dark Tower/ Gunslinger series looks AMAZING in comic form.

how are the dark tower books? not the comic but the ones in general I have wanted to read them but honestly a lot of my fav authors have been letting me down.

Canardo and Corto Maltese comics are ok. Tintin is evergeen.
From the morning newspapers i always check the Far Side and Finnish comics Fingerpori - politically, sexually and almost every way very uncorrect serie.

Despite having a Spiderman and Fantastic Four collection going back to almost the beginning (Spidey #28 is my earliest) for about the last 15 years I have not read comic books nor have I played video games (other than our annual X-box competition at Christmas time). If the Sunday comics are laying there I will often pick them up and read Blondie and a couple of others but that is about it.

My son has really gotten into comics on the iPad. Once the new iPod Touch is released this fall I am going to decide to buy it or an iPad. Maybe I will get into some comics then. Mattia, I am a big Buffy TV series fan and have checked out Season 8 but it hasn't grabbed me yet.

When I was a kid, I used to read a lot of Donald Duck (see Avatar ;) ) and French "classics" such as Asterix, Lucky Luke and Tintin.

Since then, I’ve hardly read any comic books at all.
The last comic books I have read were La Quête de l'oiseau du temps by Loisel/Le Teindre, that was two years ago. I read a review about them 15 years ago in a magazine and had them on my list ever since. It’s a very atmospheric fantasy series I’ve grown quite fond of.

brennivin":vtalh0ms said:
Sandman - by Neil Gaiman - one of the only comics to ever win non-comic literary awards (only to have the genre snubbed from future possible wins). The reason being, it's really a pinnacle of the concept of 'story'. It's history we know, mythology we're familiar with, and fiction that's new woven together seamlessly.
If I ever should feel the urge to read some new comic books again, I would go for those!

Heck yes. Sandman, Hellboy, Johnan Vasquez's titles, The Buffy and Firefly comics and a lot of the stand alone series that come out in Graphic Novel form.

StephenDownie":2a0iigi4 said:
Heck yes. Sandman, Hellboy, Johnan Vasquez's titles, The Buffy and Firefly comics and a lot of the stand alone series that come out in Graphic Novel form.
Oh, man, I haven't read any Jhonen Vasquez in years. I have to dig up my Johnny collections now.

Do webcomics count?

I like xkdc, Hark! A Vagrant! and Dinosaur Comics.

Dakki":3nv4bzic said:
Do webcomics count?

I like xkdc, Hark! A Vagrant! and Dinosaur Comics.
Yes, yes, and yes. If you like Hark! you might like Fudge That Sugar, too.

I don't read them anymore but I still have all my Marvels from the 60's. I take that back I sold Daredevil 1,2 & 3 back in 1983.

The only comic book that i read is Fables.

I no longer buy anything on paper, unless I just have to have a physical copy, or if it is a reprint of something like "The Spirit" (great comic, lousy film), Little Abner, or Carl Barks stories from the great days of the Disney comics.

I read regularly among the a selection of the web comics, among other things they have not been dumbed down and sanded smooth like the newsstand comics and of course the newspaper comics.

I particularly like Girl Genius, it's a science-fantasy story:
http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php

And I have recently found and devoured "Out There" the story of a waitress and her live for the moment life and how she is finally maturing. True enough to life, as I saw it through the bottom of the glass in my drinking days, and funny, and with lots of genuine humour. Sex is a main theme but it is NOT graphically depicted.
http://outthere.keenspot.com/d/20060612.html

You can't even hope to read more than the tip of the iceburg in Web Comics, no matter what your taste runs to, there are so many, a few that are really great, and then the other 99% which is garbage.

Oh, and as a former comic bookstore owner, I have a few thousand comics left from those days, nothing under 20 years old. Don't know why I have most of them today.

Al (in Canada)

I recently downloaded an Image comic reader and have been enjoying the free samples. They give you the first issue of a bunch of different series for free. Last one I read was called Chew. It's about a psychic detective of sorts. He gets impressions from the things he eats. So in order to solve a murder he just eats a little piece of the body. :pale:

for years i've read and reread different calvin and hobbes compilations. last christmas my wife got me the complete collection (a huge two volume set that has everything ever published in chronlogical order). it's probably my favorite christmas present ever. i never get tired of waterson's humor.

I totally do.

One of my joys is the Coheed and Cambria related series The Amory Wars. I also have thoroughly enjoyed Grendel.