Advice for an aromatic blend

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, been thinking about it for like a month, and I think I am ready to try some aromatic again (my first one was a worthless experience).

I use to smoke pure italian kentucky, Capstan, Skiff Mixture...

I was wondering if anyone could help me in selecting some aromatics to try... Possibly something not leaving unbeatable ghosts just in case I decide it is not for me.

Thanks

Try GH&COs. "Bob's Chocolate Flake." It's an "English" aro with a bit of latweed and a nice sweet taste and aroma. It's not goopy or heavily topped with chocolate. I'm not an aro person but I do like/enjoy this one. SG's "The Mayor's Chocolate Flake" would be a good one also, IMHO!! :cheers: FTRPLT

A good place to begin might be this sticky at the top of this page-

<table class="three-col" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tr><td valign="top" width="0">
</td><td valign="top" width="100%">
<table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2" width="100%"><tr><td align="left" valign="middle" width="50"> </td><td class="nav" valign="middle" width="100%">Brothers of Briar :: 
Pipes & Tobacco
 :: 
The Tobacco Jar</td><td class="gensmall" align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom">Actions
</td></tr></table><table class="forumline" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tr>[th] Topics [/th][th] Replies [/th][th] Author [/th][th] Views [/th][th] Last Posts [/th]</tr><tr><td class="row1" align="right" colspan="7">Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 41 ... 81   </td></tr><tr><td class="row1" align="center" valign="middle" width="20">
folder_sticky.gif
</td><td class="row1" align="center" valign="middle" width="20">
empty.gif
</td><td class="row1" width="100%">
empty.gif
Sticky:
<h2 class="post-content">The Great Best of the Best of the Best Aromatic Project</h2> 
</td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

Avoid aros that use poor leaf and lotsa artificial flavor. These abominations gave drugstore aros a rep for burning hot and wet and goopy. Check out the offerings at Pipeworks and Wilke where Proprietor Carole Burns does an excellent job and offers an introductory sampler of her wares. Uhle's Irish Aromatic is a fave of mine, but doesn't qualify for the enthusiastic taste fest on this board because of a bias against aros with a Lat component. I also enjoy a nice bowl of Lane's Hazelnut from time to time, especially in a cob. (Avail in bulk only, I think.) My experience with aros is that one piper's delight is another's perfumed lawn clippings, so patience and perseverance is essential to your search which I bet will be well worth the effort.

@Brewdude: Woops... missed it. Going to check it

In the meantime thanks... I will check if I can put my hands on something in this country or in Switzerland

Cult BRM is good in briar and meer as well.
Captain Black Red Sky is quite good.
IRC gourmet aro is good, even better in a deep pipe (recent discovery)
These are all cherry - first two bolder and sweeter; last one more subtle.

Advice? Here's a biased opinion: almost all aromatics are as forgettable as they are interchangeable, though there's nothing really wrong with a mouthful of vanilla, is there? One that does seem to hold my interest is Cornell & Diehl's Autumn Evening, for some reason. And McClelland's Bulk 2000 (Fragrant Matured Cake) blows everything away when the sweet cravings come. Has a crisp, sweet and clean quality, unlike most of the mucky aromatics, even the good ones. It's both a great aromatic for non-aromatic smokers, and a great non-aromatic for aromatic smokers, depending on predisposition.

I might suggest MacBaren's Scottish Mixture - it's technically an aro, as it is topped (cocoa, I think??), but is probably the least "aromatic" aro I've tried. Makes for a nice change-up when I don't want an English blend.

I've tried their Vanilla Cream ,too, which tastes pretty good, but I find the "room note" stays in the hair and clothes far longer than mot other baccy I've tried recently. I save it for when I've got "delicate" company, as the room note is not offensive. :)

Top Black Cherry (best cherry blend on the market IMO)
Autumn Evening
W.Ø. Larsen Signature