Advice RE repair

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ED_X

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I completely understand this is a personal decision, but I'm asking anyway because I'm really torn. I have an estate Parker that I paid $85.00 dollars for, my dog chew the stem before I even had a chance to smoke it. Doing a bit of investigating on the web it looks like the repair is going to cost at least $25.00 dollars. What would you do?

Thanks,
Ed

if you like it, I'd drop the $25 and get it fixed. You're already $85 in, so....

petertschantz":qk39fhcb said:
if you like it, I'd drop the $25 and get it fixed. You're already $85 in, so....
That's really the crux of my problem, having never gotten to smoke it I'm not sure how much I like it. The shape is nice (bull dog), the grain is OK but not spectacular, it would be a far easier decision if I knew how it smoked.

That does make it tough.

Although, if you get it fixed and don't like it - you'll be able to get at least some of your money back....

Good luck!

Look at it like this: a Parker you paid $85.00 for is worth nothing with a chewed stem; a Parker you paid $110.00 for ($85 + $25) with a good stem is apparently worth at least $85.00.

Idlefellow":su8wptug said:
Look at it like this: a Parker you paid $85.00 for is worth nothing with a chewed stem; a Parker you paid $110.00 for ($85 + $25) with a good stem is apparently worth at least $85.00.
This.

See if another pipe's stem will fit it to give it a try and then decide if it is worth the repair price?

A Parker bulldog sitting in a drawer in your house unsmoked makes the world a slightly more doleful place. :(

Idlefellow":l9sag5cw said:
If he does not repair, he's out $85. If he does he's bound to get at least the $25 back if he doesn't like it.

Consider it a total loss now. Would he buy it again for $25?

I would.

Idlefellow":szzwc2kg said:
This for sure! besides, old Parkers are not investment pieces, they're meant to be smoked :evil:

petertschantz":c1u2353i said:
Maybe the dog has already been neutered.

petertschantz":9kmf272q said:
That does make it tough.

Although, if you get it fixed and don't like it - you'll be able to get at least some of your money back....

Good luck!
Man, that's mean. You can't just sell a used dog just because all of a sudden you don't like it.

Buckshot":je8wz8mm said:
petertschantz":je8wz8mm said:
That does make it tough.

Good luck!
Man, that's mean. You can't just sell a used dog just because all of a sudden you don't like it.
Yeah you can! This is "Murica" we SELL EVERYTHING :twisted:

You'd be surprised how much better your mindset is after you get an ailing pipe put right.

Screw the economics, have it re-stemmed and make it whole again. Pipes deserve dignity, too. :) There's dogs that smell cancer, maybe your dog knew the stem was flawed somehow, and was saving you from a bad smoke. :mrgreen:

Once an original stem is damaged or use-impaired, you're not really talking about "collector" value as you are "guys who want it to smoke it" value.

A whole five pipes here have and use their original stems, and two of those are lucite.

"The best of the rest" have lucite replacement stems with proper drilling. And smoke/taste very well indeed. Two of which had obviously replaced stems when I got them . . . to smoke them.

:face:

Look at it this way: $25 is what you'd pay for a lunch for two. The lunch is enjoyed, but forgotten the next day. The pipe can outlive you, and provide you with decades of fine smokes.

It's a NO BRAINER for me.

Fix the pipe!

Kashmir":xwz011th said:
The lunch is enjoyed, but forgotten the next day.
That depends on a few things, for example, possible food-borne pathogens, or the amount of hot peppers added to the dish...how low the cut of the gal's blouse was as she leaned over her soup... :mrgreen: ...