African Meerschaum

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stinger4me

Reaction score
Here is a question for those of you who have smoked African Meerschaum pipes, is there any difference in the quality of them compared to Turkish Meerschaum pipes? Thanks very much.

Stinger

(...the following is a generic overview of the material involved as material varies, and not necessarily the workmanship of any given pipe...)

African Meerschaum: not as brightly white, heavier, shows more "grain" or layers, not as smooth to the touch. I have heard-tell that certain folks actually prefer African meerschaum over Turkish, and feel the smoking characteristics are superior. I have seen African meers that have taken color, and the color is not nearly as even and bold as Turkish. African meerschaum, unless it has been stockpiled, is no longer extracted and made into pipes.

Turkish Meerschaum: brighter in color, lighter, smoother, and the most common. Colors relatively evenly, smokes well, currently the only meerschaum extracted and made into pipes, and all pipes must be made and carved in Turkey--they do not export unfinished meerschaum outside the country by law. This was said to be a reason why African meerschaum was being mined and crafted into pipes.

8)

Actually if you have African, you're sure it's a block meerschaum. A great deal of the Turkish pipes are actually pressed meerschaum, especially the cheaper ones.

And no, there's no difference in the quality of the smoke. I have both Turkish and African, the smoke is the same.

The pipe is a GBD and clearly marked on the shank, GENUINE BLOCK MEERSCHAUM. Thanks very much for your information. The pipe was a gift to me, it will be fired up in the next couple of days. Thanks again.

Stinger

Stinger4me":pebqbsir said:
The pipe is a GBD and clearly marked on the shank, GENUINE BLOCK MEERSCHAUM.  Thanks very much for your information.  The pipe was a gift to me, it will be fired up in the next couple of days.  Thanks again.

Stinger
What other information do you have that it is AFRICAN meer as all you state it says on the pipe is "Genuine Block Meerschaum" ?

A pure bone white meerschaum block indicates Turkish origin and top quality; a block containing flecks indicates a lesser grade from Africa's northern coasts, ...
Also, you'll not find African Meer being it was mined out about ten years ago unless it's new old stock.
Difference between

I'd like to see a picture of that GBD meer. If anything, just to see it. I like GBD pipes.

8)

Turks do a lot of advertising lately, since the demand is rising. But market habits in this part of the world are somewhat different than in the US. Here the fraud is an ethical thing. Where I live was part of the ottoman empire for 500 years, and is just 300 miles far from Istambul.
In Kapali Carsi market in Istambul there's an abundance of meer pipes starting at $10 and even less. But almost all of them are fake. The consistence is the same as in block meerschaum, weight is the same, they even cover the inside of the bowl with some substance so your finger can stick to the surface when you lick it (that's one of the methods to check if it's block) . They all swear it's a block meerschaum. Most of those pipes come from Eskisehir, the only place left on earth where meer is mined and pipes are crafted, and they're all fake. There's more meerschaum left in the process of carving than in the pipe itself. All that meer is been reused, grinded to dust, and pressed in blocks again. For every block pipe that leaves Eskisehir come about 4-5 fake ones. And they're so good at faking, you have to be really professional to tell the difference. It even catches the color, but smoking experience is like smoking from a plastic bowl.
I've had fakes, and I've had block. Nothing in common.
If your pipe costs less than $100, then it's very likely that it's pressed meerschaum, not block.

The safer alternative is to go with African, I personally prefer them over the turkish. It gets nice patterns all over the pipe, has vintage appeal and gets orange-reddish-brown all over like peace of art. And the most important thing, it's porous and delivers just as good smoke as the turkish blocks, if not better.

I received the pipe from a friend who owned a shop which sold pipes, cigars and tobacco. The pipe is very dark at the top of the bowl. The weight of the pipe is heavier than a briar for the size. Cartaphilus is right on the money with his response.

Stinger