African Mohogany Poker Pipes - from a MARINE

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leatherneck

Reaction score
As I have stated in earlier post, I have traveled the world with the USMC collecting and having commissioned pipes made for me. It's time for me to try a new adventure in piping. Because of the love I have for pipes, I have decided to create my own pipes. With all the different styles of pipes, I decided to make the POKER pipe, BUT with a new twist. Several years ago a friend of mine gave me two blocks of aged AFRICAN MOHOGANY. Along with the MOHOGANY bowls, I created a stainless steel stem with an attached acrylic bit. The pipes smoke very smooth and because of the stainless steel in the stems, there is no excessive heat.

As seen in the photo, there are 5 styles so far:

From LEFT TOP, this pipe is 2 1/2" high, 2" wide, with a 7" stem and acrylic bit. The shorter version is 2" high, 2" wide, with a 4 1/2" stem and acrylic bit.

From RIGHT TOP, this pipe is 5" high, 1 1/4" wide, with an angled 7" stem and acrylic bit. Because of the height on this pipe, I inserted a stainless steel screen 1" down from the top, that is removable for cleaning. The 2nd and 3rd pipe are 3 1/8" high, 1 1/4" wide with a straight 2 3/4 stem or a 5 1/2 angled stem with acrylic bits. The last 2 still need there attached bits.

The tamper is 3" high and 3/4" wide.

These pipes are also going to be made in ALGERIAN BRIAR, MORTA AND OLIVE wood.

I have enjoyed making these pipes and would GREATLY appreciate any ideas or comments from YOU brothers, as I value ALL suggestions from within these hallowed walls.

Nice Pokers! I look forward to your other incarnations....

You will never be without a pipe again with those skills. And that's a good thing!

They remind of the really old corn cob pipes with the reed stems. I really like these too. Very simple lines gives them an understated elegance.

Jim

I agree with HuffelPuff, very elegant and clean lines! Sender Fi brother!

3/3 83'-87'

Very nicely done! I'm sure they smoke on the cool side. I use to make custom knives as a hobby now I've been making different pipes. I will post some pictures once I'm allowed.
Keep up the great work, I'm sure you can sell a few.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!