Aged Full Virginia Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdavis12

Reaction score
Has anyone aged a tin of Samuel Gawith's full virginia flake? If so, how is it? How long did you let it age?

The tins I'm smoking now are from May of 08. Have some bulk jarred up scheduled to be opened in 2014. those will have 5 yrs. on them

100_0599.jpg

I actually dislike FVF when fresh, but aged it's an entirely different beast in my opinion (in other words, I love it). I think one year is the minimum. My stash now allows me to only smoke FVF that's three years or older. It gets smoother and richer with age and loses some harsh green notes that seem more predominant when young.

Smoke it often, always aged of course (as mentioned above, it is always best when aged). Right now working through some 2006. Lovely.

I didn't take to FVF at all when I first tried it. Then again it was fresh. Bought some and sold it just as quick. Dumb!

Looks like I need to go back and revisit some aged.

Cheers,

RR

Working through a jar from '09 currently. I also recently tried a sample from '06.... Age and FVF seem to go together rather well. I have some old tins (probably 2006 at least) that I've yet to crack... The only aged FVF I've experienced is bulk that was jarred

I had just recently bought a couple tins, popped one opened, gave it a try and was disappointed. It's good to hear that it develops nicely with age. I guess I'll hold onto the tins and wait a few years.

Abe

I would have to agree. I got a tin of fresh FVF and hated it. Then i found some from a BOB that was 2 years old, what a difference.

Unlike some here, I loved FVF when I first bought it. Of course, the first purchase was a tin, so no telling how old it was. (Gotta love McClelland for at least letting you know what year your tin is from.) In any case, I always loved the sweet aftertaste it left.

I'd heard it aged well, so I started buying in bulk and sealing it up. Now all my stuff is at least two years old, and it is even better. One of my mainstays.

Yes, I've aged many, many tins of FVF over the years. I'm opening a 5 year old tin for Thanksgiving, another for Christmas, and a 10 year old bundle of joy for my birthday this Spring. Life is good!

My advice to you would be: purchase as much FVF as you can afford without pawning your children and store it away in a safe place. Even fresh, it's my favorite tobacco - at 6 months, it's much better than it was when you bought it - at one year, it's better than any tobacco on the market - at 5 years, you'll think you've died and gone to Tobacco Heaven - at 10 years, you may wish you had ignored my advice about not pawning your children. :)

For those who are new to FVF or had a bad first experience, please do yourselves a favor and dry the tobacco before smoking it. When wet, FVF is flavorless, steamy and uninspiring. Dried to the point of breaking when folded, the smoker is rewarded with a clean, rich, naturally sweet, pure tobacco flavor that is not to be found in any other blend.

God bless, and Happy Smoking,
JT

What is the Vitamin N content of this baccy? I am tempted to try it, but have a low tolerance :no:

Gumball":pbwxd288 said:
What is the Vitamin N content of this baccy? I am tempted to try it, but have a low tolerance :no:
Maybe I'm not the best judge of N level because I seem to have a fairly high tolerance, but I dont think the "full" in FVF stands for N content... It stands for full flavor ;)

Do you think escudo is too strong, Gumball? If so then maybe FVF will be as well. But I seem to recall your affinity for Squadron Leader, no? I think if you dry out some FVF before smoking it, like suggested by JT, you won't have to draw so hard to keep it going which sometimes makes blends seem much stronger N-wise than they actually are.

Yes, SL is in my regular rotation and I have never suffered from Vitamin N poisoning :D

I will get a few tins of FVF in as part of my next order and set them aside to age.

JT":ceeimj8o said:
Yes, I've aged many, many tins of FVF over the years. I'm opening a 5 year old tin for Thanksgiving, another for Christmas, and a 10 year old bundle of joy for my birthday this Spring. Life is good!

My advice to you would be: purchase as much FVF as you can afford without pawning your children and store it away in a safe place. Even fresh, it's my favorite tobacco - at 6 months, it's much better than it was when you bought it - at one year, it's better than any tobacco on the market - at 5 years, you'll think you've died and gone to Tobacco Heaven - at 10 years, you may wish you had ignored my advice about not pawning your children. :)

For those who are new to FVF or had a bad first experience, please do yourselves a favor and dry the tobacco before smoking it. When wet, FVF is flavorless, steamy and uninspiring. Dried to the point of breaking when folded, the smoker is rewarded with a clean, rich, naturally sweet, pure tobacco flavor that is not to be found in any other blend.

God bless, and Happy Smoking,
JT
I sure wish I'd have known this a couple years ago. I got in 1.5 lbs of it based on the hype and sold it just as quick.

Old Deutsch saying: Ve get too soon old und too late schmart!

:oops:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":kwz0z641 said:

LOL, RR! I'm not German, but I can certainly vouch for the validity of that comment. :)

BTW, if you'd like to try a sampler of aged FVF, PM me your address.

And brace yourself if you do.

The Pirate is one of the more generous Bros you'll run into.

Spoken from experience.

:face:

Very kind of you to say, Bill. I'm not sure how this place is these days, but I do know that the original members were some of the most generous people I've ever "known." Pay it forward!

I hope you've been well, brother, and wish a Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

JT":kjm81zbk said:
Brewdude":kjm81zbk said:

LOL, RR! I'm not German, but I can certainly vouch for the validity of that comment. :)

BTW, if you'd like to try a sampler of aged FVF, PM me your address.
Sir, that is very kind of you to offer. pm coming.

:face:

Cheers,

RR

If anyone is interested in acquiring some aged FVF, I have one last jar for sale containing 8 oz of FVF that is now 27 months old. See details at: https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t14299-tobacco-4-sale-aged-virginias-english-new-on-mac-barens