Aging and Orientals

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idbowman

Reaction score
One of two things has happened. Either (1) I've never read much about the effects of aging on oriental varieties or (2) I've read it a hundred times and have forgotten.

Either way, anyone know what time is supposed to do for them? I've read all the usual articles about the effects (or non-effects) time has on VAs, Latakias, Aro casings, and burleys, but I can't seem to recall how oriental/turkish leaf fares...any thoughts?

Not caring for them at all (except some Lat's) I can't see any amount of aging will improve them. :fpalm:

Given that fact that most Oriental tobaccos have a fairly high sugar content I am going to imagine that they age well, or at least exhibit some of the same characteristics of change (for better or worse), that we tend to notice with high grade surgary VA's.

My experiece is that they age well . They turn darker with age and a more intense taste and aroma. I had the chance not so long ago to smoke a whole tin of state express london (very old tin) and the orientals where there present all the time. Not only on pipes tobacco , but had the same experience with RYO with D&R tobacco (ramback).

Brewdude":ibcinck9 said:
Surely GLP has had something to say on this topic?

Scroll down to "Aging"-

http://pipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Tobaccos

Cheers,

RR

Like I said:

me":ibcinck9 said:
(2) I've read it a hundred times and have forgotten.
Head-slap-2c.jpg

I have a couple of tins McClelland Grand Oriental Yenice Agonya from 2007 and they are amazing. I feel the Orientals have aged really well along with the Virginias in the blend.