"ahem" Also, Retiring

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you decide to stop and look for some Petoskey stones on the way to the land of Gitchee Gume drop me a PM. I'll be happy to point you in the right direction away from the Fudgies. ;)

I should mention that I am not really a rock hound. Just something I want to do. Always liked looking at rocks. Especially the interesting ones. Our selection is pretty thin here in central IL. Lots of black muck soil around.

congrats carlos! don't forget you'll have more time to make a few more pipes now.

Congrats!! And every day is Saturday!!!
I've drunk more of the Pacific than I care to remember, and every time I've been to Superior it was just too cold to wade in! But they are good places to start in!!!

Congratulations, Carlos!
I'm 3 years behind you, can't wait! Enjoy your retirement in good health.

HUZZAH!!!:cheers: 
Congrats on getting out of the clutches of the system!!!

The system has sticky clutches. The paper says that our criminals (lawmakers) in the state capital have reached an agreement on pension reform and they are changing the ages on a graduated scale. Guess I will know next week if they stopped this or not.

I understand your frustration. There was an agreement that they aren't going to live up to in the manner explained to their employees.

Benefit programs are a fairly recent happening. It was only during WWII that benefits came about. It was done to retain employees during a time that pay was fixed by government mandate.

What is going on for you and has been going on in industry for years is that the promises have been unaffordable. Much of that revolves around health care which has risen dramatically.

I have friends in the same kind of boat. In thier case, they were spawned off to a government agency that took over their benefits that were much reduce with health care lost.

Illinois is 30-billion in the hole for their program with the changes proposed. Taxes are a burden for many with those increases that were supposed to be temporary.

It is sad for those retired and for those nearing retirement. But, it has to happen or the state will go into bankruptcy. Springfield is just realizing that they are at the end of a long road of excess that must be addressed. The abuses by politicians with double dipping and the like have created the mess.

It is very unfortunate that you can't take an earlier out than regular Illinois workers. You've been screwed by the times and the past excesses. I do hope it works out for you because, to a degree at least, I know you. The rest are going to be forced to live closer to the rest of the work force.

Unless your wife is working and can carry you on her medical. Think about what is down the road for the next 9 years until you can get Medicare. Current insurance would be over $300 a month if they reduce it to all but gone. Factor that into the next 9 years. The program you will have available now will still be subject to further cuts. If the state does go into receivership, the funds available could be separated and new tables for benefit established.

It is a rough go, I'd suggest getting a professional evaluation by a really savvy CPA. That especially true if you actually plan to retire and not find subsequent employment. Look at the equity you've accumulated and how that will be affected if your income changed.

Good luck!

What they did does not really affect me. It will go to court anyway. So I sent in my official letter. Just about all done.

Congratulations. If you make it out to the NW Oregon coast during summer, I'll get you on a tuna trip. I'd rather no wading on the trip, it scares the sharks.

Congratulations, Carlos! I retired at 56 (6 years ago) and haven't missed my old job one bit!
Stress leaves immediately and is replaced by a smile...just make sure your'e not the type that manufactures your own stress. :eek: