Ahhh, my first pipe smoker's forum

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serif365

Reaction score
Hi! from beautiful, dry and hot Austin, Texas. I've been a newbie pipe smoker for more than 40 years meaning I have tried all those years to pick it up but never quite got the hang of it. I was a light cigarette smoker until two years ago when I just quit. I had a collection of 50+ pipes of various styles from MM cobs to meerschaums I had picked up while stationed in Turkey in the early seventies to some higher end Petersons and Dunhills with a few free-styles thrown in. I had the pipes but only a small amount of "house blend" from my local tobacconist (Pipe World). Then I discovered Pipes and Cigars!!! I started smoking a bowl or two every day of a dozen or so blends from P&G two months back AND I LOVE IT!!! Like I mentioned earlier it's hot down here this time of year. I get home from work in the evening and the temperature is still in the nineties so I change into shorts and tee, load up a pipe with the rotation for the day, head to the back porch, fill up a wash tub with cool water, sit in a favorite chair, put my feet in the tub, fire up my pipe, read a good book and fall into what I can only describe as pipe smoking Nirvana. My biggest question is what took me so long??? I don't think I would have ever enjoyed a pipe as long as I smoked cigarettes. :sunny:

Welcome to the Brotherhood Serif. Looks like you found the right method to deal with the heat.
And for being a newbie of 40 years you seem to have amassed quite a nice collection of pipes.
:cheers:

Welcome Serif. I had a similar entry into pipe smoking except with a lot fewer pipes. I never really got the hang of it, or the joy of it until recently. Studying this forum has actually helped me a lot.

Welcome to the forums! It sounds like you have a great routine!

"Y"

serif365":rmgh6ygi said:
Hi! from beautiful, dry and hot Austin, Texas. I've been a newbie pipe smoker for more than 40 years meaning I have tried all those years to pick it up but never quite got the hang of it. I was a light cigarette smoker until two years ago when I just quit. I had a collection of 50+ pipes of various styles from MM cobs to meerschaums I had picked up while stationed in Turkey in the early seventies to some higher end Petersons and Dunhills with a few free-styles thrown in. I had the pipes but only a small amount of "house blend" from my local tobacconist (Pipe World). Then I discovered Pipes and Cigars!!! I started smoking a bowl or two every day of a dozen or so blends from P&G two months back AND I LOVE IT!!! Like I mentioned earlier it's hot down here this time of year. I get home from work in the evening and the temperature is still in the nineties so I change into shorts and tee, load up a pipe with the rotation for the day, head to the back porch, fill up a wash tub with cool water, sit in a favorite chair, put my feet in the tub, fire up my pipe, read a good book and fall into what I can only describe as pipe smoking Nirvana. My biggest question is what took me so long??? I don't think I would have ever enjoyed a pipe as long as I smoked cigarettes. :sunny:
As they say " ... all things in their time" :p Welcome to the forum and it's good to hear from another Texan :p

Welcome from Maryland! I never thought about smoking and soaking, sounds relaxing!

Hmmm, "Onward through the fog" used to be the montra of a local headshop here in Austin, Oat Willies (a different kind of smoke shop from the ones I would frequent today...another time, another preference). :scratch:

Last weekend I had my first experience with a too strong of a smoke. I loaded up a fairly large Peterson apple to the brim with Key Largo, set match to leaf, opened up my trusty Nook to a really good fantasy I'm reading and the fun began. To my senses Key Largo is a relatively powerful tobacco and as I continued to read and puff (excuse me, "sip") I began to slip into a form of light headed semi-coma! For some reason (although I knew better) I just couldn't put that pipe down??? This bowl was likely two inches deep and a full inch wide and it took over an hour to smoke from rim to ash. I finally finished, somehow found the off button on my Nook and then made the mistke of standing up! I almost fell off the porch, over the rail no less! I finally gathered enough fortitude to think I was headed to bed...wrong! It was another three hours before I could even think about sleep and then I had the weirdest dreams. This is likely a moot warning to you seasoned pipesters out there, but some of us pipe pansies have to be a little careful with the high octane weed. I hate to use the "n-word" since this chemical is not the focus of my pipe serenity but I'm not used to that kind of nicotine absorption. This was somewhat akin to my first Cubano Opus-X experience. :geek:

Firstly welcome to BoB it is great to have you here. If you don't know about a blend before you try it log on here and search for it in the search bar or log on to tobaccoreviews.com and see what people say about the vitamin N content. Y'all youngsters have to be careful with that stuff. I am certain any questions you might have can either be found answered here or can be answered here. Enjoy your pipes brother.

Welcome. Sounds like you will like the fall weather for pipe smoking. Harder for me to smoke when its hot. Fall and pipe smoking seem to go hand in hand.