Air Time

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RB-5

Reaction score
How much air time do you give a newly opened tin or jar? Also, do you have a preferred method for doing it? Thank you. :D

good topic RB-5. i've heard of guys dumping the whole tin out on the table for two days or letting it sit in their pipes for an hour or half an hour before smoking it. i've wondered this myself, how wet is too wet, how dry is too dry.

(obviously i've got no answers. typical! i'm just posting for the hell of it. will enjoy this thread though.)

I usually open a tin the day before I'm planning to smoke it to remove that initial sharpness associated with freshly opened tins. Simply open it, evaluate the bouquet, loosen the tobacco a bit, and close it back again, avoiding as much as possible to let the tobacco dry. That's it.

I don't air out my tins, just dry out a bowl at a time on a paper plate until I can pinch it without the tobacco sticking together. Flakes are a bit different, I dry them for an hour or two before smoking usually but I can't wait sometimes

Johnny":t1a1ail0 said:
I don't air out my tins, just dry out a bowl at a time on a paper plate until I can pinch it without the tobacco sticking together. Flakes are a bit different, I dry them for an hour or two before smoking usually but I can't wait sometimes
More or less what he said. When I open a tin, I immediately put the contents into an 8 oz Mason jar. Drying is bowl-by-bowl. I do it this way because I have about 4 dozen of those little Mason jars with various amounts of tobacco in each.

I like variety.

Thank you for all the replies guys. It is great to hear the various methods used. :cheers:

Rb,

This also depends on what tobacco and how moist it is.
Open a tin and leave the lid off for a day, Then close it. The top baccy dries but the bottom stays moist. by closing the tin for a day the moist baccy hydrates the drier baccy ontop. The process can be repeated but at a stage you will need to whirl the tin around a bit.
Not so easy with flake.
I usually open a 50g tin, leave the lid off for a day, then move to a small bail jar the size of a honey jar. The baccy fills half the jar, there is thus enough air in the jar to continue the airing process. Open it to load up you let more fresh air in. Make sure you smoke the entire batch over a given period. Will not be good to put it in cellar again.

I have noticed that fresh McClelland bulks 2010 and 2015 have improved greatly in the honey jars and get better as I smoke the batch over a month or 2.
Have Fun!

Straight from the tin to the jar.

Differences show up over the course of maybe three weeks.

:face:

Usually with tins, I open it for the purpose of filling a bowl. If that first bowl is going to be too moist then I will air dry it on a piece of paper until it is ready.

The rest of the tin just sits and gets smoked, generally with the lid on unless it was really too moist. If/when the tobacco is getting about correct smoking moisture, the tin goes into a zip bag. If I am smoking that blend so slow that it is drying out in the zip bag, I will usually transfer the contents to a jar. Not often it gets to that point.

Yak":q0jtzle9 said:

My experience as well, particularly with lat blends.

Muddler said:
Yak":qfbfil80 said:

My experience as well, particularly with lat blends.[/qu

OOps sorry Mudd!
My post has just been edited accordingly!!