Aldo Velani Moderna

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernPiper

Reaction score
Browsing cupojoes and making a list of my next PAD/TAD order, and I came across an odd looking set of pipes. The Aldo Velani Moderna.. It seems to be a cross between a MM and Falcon. just a slightly bent mouthpiece jabbed into the side of the bowl. I found a post on here regarding AV, but I'm just wondering if there would be any problems with the way the mouthpiece joins the bowl.

Do any of you folks have one or has seen one close up?

Along with a pipe, my PAD/TAD list includes a good lighter, some OGS, some kind of high quality vanilla or cherry aro (any advice on this?) a couple of pipe tools to spread around, and hopefully a pipe rack..

I have an A Velani Lovat here. It´s about 20-25 years old and is the largest bore pipe I've ever seen.

I actually smoke it often now, at least once a week, but it took a loooong time to grow on me. For years it had a hot, harsh flavor. I smoked English blends exclusively at that time and pretty much gave up on it. Once I discovered Virginias and Vaper flakes it took to those well. Now I really enjoy it. Perhaps the enhanced airflow works better with flakes? Dunno, but that´s my only A. Velani experience.

Hmm. Decisions decisions. I was considering the moderna because it's "different". But Ive since found the Irish Sea series from Peterson on smokingpipes. And of course, knowing me i'll probably end up buying something totally different.

I checked it out and it is an interesting pipe. I can't see the internal design so I can't see how far the stem goes in. If the draught hole angles up into the chamber from the end of the stem it should work ok. If it sits flush with bottom of the bowl it could melt if you let it overheat. We don´t like for it to get too hot, but shit happens...