All day blend suggestions

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkOfThePipe

Reaction score
So, I need some advice again. I am looking for blends or mixtures that I can smoke repeatedly without killing my mouth, and that I don't have to think about that much. Also, I work outside all day, so blends that smoke well outside are a plus. Can I get a few suggestions as I would like to have at least 3 or 4 of these around for variety.
I am willing to maybe try an aromatic or two, but nothing goopy or bitey. Thank you all!

In the aro (mild) dept. you can't go wrong with 4-Noggins Killington or Lord Methley.  They are both great flavor and no bite.  Brigadier Black Alamo is also a great aro.

Want something stronger and different from the above I'd go with PS-Luxury Bullseye Flake, McCranies Red Flake, Dunhill Flake or Erinmore Flake...just a few off the top of my head.

Well, I can smoke burley. Not everyone can it seems. I would think you need to have enough flavor to keep you from puffing it up and getting it hot. So I would reach for these first.

C&D
Morley's Best
Barrister
Home From the Hills

Yale Mixture (no burley)

Anything similar may work for you. These seem to be tasty without being too strong in flavor.

In a straight Virginia, I would lean towards those hay-like blends.

Best Brown Flake
GL Pease Union Square

Or anything similar.

Everybody will react differently to tobaccos so a universal, all-day smoke would be hard to decide on. I think the basic task would be finding something you like that's also readily available. Some guys can puff Irish Flake all day, and others Captain Black.

Me, I like medium VaPers like Escudo or PS Bullseye. They taste great, and don't usually burn my tongue. Both are available everywhere at all times, too.  

Check around, see what you find.

MisterE":v1ycmrr4 said:
Everybody will react differently to tobaccos so a universal, all-day smoke would be hard to decide on. I think the basic task would be finding something you like that's also readily available. Some guys can puff Irish Flake all day, and others Captain Black.

Me, I like medium VaPers like Escudo or PS Bullseye. They taste great, and don't usually burn my tongue. Both are available everywhere at all times, too.  

Check around, see what you find.
This for sure ! The other thing is HOW different "cuts" of tobacco smoke outside. For me, a nice ribbon or shag cut works best in a pipe when I'm smoking outside so I usually have an English/Balkan like Presbyterian in my pipe or if I'm in the mood for a Va, a bowl of Royal Yacht or Virginia Woods will do. I save my Flakes for inside smoking. JMHO  :twisted: 

Half and Half - Burley/Va
C&D Junk yard Dawg - Burley/Latakia/Va
McClellands M-27 Three Cherries - Va/Cavandish
germains 1830 - oriental/Turkish/Va/Latakia

Brewdude":98d7uk24 said:
There's a reason old time pipers only smoked one blend like CH or PA.
My father smoked Half and Half. My grandfather smoked Granger. My great-uncle smoked Amphora Brown. They did not have tobacco shops or tins to deal with. They had to go to the grocery store anyway. Cost per smoke was low, and when you are smoking all day, it starts to add up...

Brewdude":55q1abmi said:
I disagree with this on a couple levels. First, only Americans were smoking these classic American Burleys. Second, the reason they were smoking them is that there was a boatload of money spent marketing Burleys in the early 20th century as the no-bite alternative. Google it and look at the Edgeworth, PA and Granger ads from the 1910s-WW2. Lots of emphasis placed on this, and they had a lot of celebrity endorsements as well with movie and sports stars on a lot of these ads. Joey Bagodonuts couldn't pick up Ogdens at the corner gas station, but these American Burleys were sold everywhere. Remember too that tobacco culture was in full swing and there weren't an antis to appease back then.

So these classic American Burleys were cheap, they advertised, and they were everywhere. That's why people smoked them. There wasn't that much thought put into it. These guys were just getting their nicotine, not wanting to scorch their mouths into oblivion because their pipes were lit most of the day, and trying not to make the wife nag them to death about a rough room note.

I suggest Carter Hall as an all day smoke
I do a little blending also and add a bit of Smoker's Pride Black or Cherry Cavendish to it also sometimes.
This works for me, especially on the days that I am off work and smoke 10-12 bowls in a day. No bite for me and a great smoke too!
Granger is another good one.

sisyphus":nnj06fx1 said:
There wasn't that much thought put into it. These guys were just getting their nicotine, not wanting to scorch their mouths into oblivion because their pipes were lit most of the day, and trying not to make the wife nag them to death about a rough room note.
Isn't this the essence of an all-day smoke?

So these classic American Burleys were cheap, they advertised, and they were everywhere. That's why people smoked them. There wasn't that much thought put into it. These guys were just getting their nicotine, not wanting to scorch their mouths into oblivion because their pipes were lit most of the day, and trying not to make the wife nag them to death about a rough room note.
I think there is also some sort of cultural shift at work here as well. People used to pick something and stick with it. Now we demand, and get, a 1000 choices.

Back 50 years ago it was a case of, what Beer you ask? I'm a Budweiser man! What kind of car do you drive? I'd rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy.  Pipe tobacco you ask? Prince Albert is the only blend for me!  Today we have 100's of craft breweries and if you ask a man what beer he likes he'll probably say something like "I prefer IPA's with a high bitterness number". It's the same way with tobacco, ask someone what they like and they'll give you a category instead of a brand name "I like VaPers"

To answer the original question and bring this back on topic, I think the Dunhill blends are a good recommendation. I've tried most of their offerings and they all have been ready to smoke right out of the tin. They also seem to be blended with an eye to smoke ability and work great for me when I'm doing something with my hands since they stay lit with a minimum of fuss. Topping the Dunhill list to me would be EMP since it's also available in bulk if you are smoking a lot of it.

If I had to smoke one tobacco day in and day out it'd probably be SG MVF.

For me:

Va: Orlik Golden Sliced (ok, technically a VaPer, but not much perique to speak of)
VaPer: GLP Telegraph Hill
Lat Blend: Frog Morton
Aro: 1-Q, RLP-6, or some combination of the two.

4noggins Trout stream usually works pretty well for an all day smoke for me as well.

Fr_Tom":vdrz0rw6 said:
sisyphus":vdrz0rw6 said:
There wasn't that much thought put into it. These guys were just getting their nicotine, not wanting to scorch their mouths into oblivion because their pipes were lit most of the day, and trying not to make the wife nag them to death about a rough room note.
Isn't this the essence of an all-day smoke?
BINGO Fr !