All Things Must Pass....But Why THEM?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When my McC tobacco hoard began to grow out of control I started to take seriously the anti-cellaring notions that buy-as-you-go was the wiser course, since it encouraged trying tasty new blends. But after reading the PT article, I’m mighty glad I have all those Mason jars filled with tasty McC bulk tucked away in my cellar. It looks like the Golden Years for pipers are in the rear view mirror. What would we poor, simple folk do without the government stepping in to lend its helping hand?

KevinM":o50wjzh1 said:
When my McC tobacco hoard began to grow out of control I started to take seriously the anti-cellaring notions that buy-as-you-go was the wiser course, since it encouraged trying tasty new blends. But after reading the PT article, I’m mighty glad I have all those Mason jars filled with tasty McC bulk tucked away in my cellar. It looks like the Golden Years for pipers are in the rear view mirror. What would we poor, simple folk do without the government stepping in to lend its helping hand?
Yeah, I am inclined to think that we are entering the twilight of the Golden Years. FDA going after premium tobacco, McClelland gone, Steven Books passed, Carl McAllister retired, quality Oriental tobacco hard to procure, so many B&M's closing doors even famous ones like Kramer's and the original Tinder Box in Santa Monica, it's all beginning to add up...

DrumsAndBeer":ggptmefe said:
KevinM":ggptmefe said:
Yeah, I am inclined to think that we are entering the twilight of the Golden Years. FDA going after premium tobacco, McClelland gone, Steven Books passed, Carl McAllister retired, quality Oriental tobacco hard to procure, so many B&M's closing doors even famous ones like Kramer's and the original Tinder Box in Santa Monica, it's all beginning to add up...
'Fraid you might be right about this ! Having had this habit ( it's NOT a hobby) for over 50 years now and seeing the price increases up & up over this time period, pipe smoking has become a wealthy mans endeaver . Prices for even standard shapes in quality pipes good grain, no fills hitting what I refer to the stratosphere it's no wonder pipe smoking is going away. Back in the '60s/'70s a man with an average income could afford a new Comoy, GBD, etc as well as a mo's supply of 'baccy and still take the family to a resteraunt . Not any more. It's become the pervue of the upper income and as such will be a "niche" sort of retail endevar. Makes me glad I started when I did and sorry for the young ones trying to get started today ! JMHO :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: