Almost saved (finished, pics added)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crafty

Reaction score
Well a few month ago I started a pipe but miss-drilled the draft hole and mortise. I guess the briar shifted on the drill press when drilling. So the stem was crooked the the pipe as you’ll see in the pics. I got mad and shelved it for a while. Today I managed to get things somewhat straight. Side views are looking good but the stem still has a crook, OH Well.

NOT that bad... looks pretty good to me. A great pipe needs character.

That really doesn't look too bad. I'm sure some of that crook can be smoothed out when you heat up the stem to bend it. Look forward to seeing it completed.

Jim

Ah, heck, ain't nothin' wrong with that. I kind of like it. If you told everyone you did it on purpose they'd believe it. :lol: 8)

I agree Huff a little judicious use of the heat gun will pull a majority of the crook out. I’ve done as much as I can with briar removal. :face:

Not bad at all and really who cares as long as it smokes well for you!!

PS, are you going to give the stem a slight bend, you won't notice any mistake!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Been there, done that.

The only difference is that I usually fling my miss-drilled pipes as far from my sight as I am able and start all over.

So kudos for following through with it. :cheers:

Conrad, I used Fiebings dark brown as a base sanded that with 600 then topped with British Tan. I really like the way the dark base makes the grain pop out.

Py golly, that turned out great Crafty! Great finish work and the stem looks fine despite the slight crook! Or can it be rotated a little?

8)

Cheers,

RR

Looks really good buddy! I would say you did a great job saving that one. Your right the dark brown base really makes the grain pop. Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Jim

Handsome little pipe there, Crafty. Looks like it turned out alright. I'd bet its comfortable in the teeth, too.

Hope it serves you well for many, many years.

Wish I had even a quarter of the skill that you have. My best effort was crafting a pipe out of an apple in my younger days, but that's a whole other story. :D

Sweet smokes!