Am I a neophyte?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highpockets

Reaction score
I am intrigued when I read about the different tobaccos revered and sometimes almost worshipped by members. I am afraid that I missed something along the way. I have tried Haddos, Rattrays, the Frogs and many others mentioned on this forum. It is with some temerity that I admit to this group that none of them really suited me. I am currently smoking mostly aromatics blended by Boswell. In my defense, I have been a pipe collector for years and recognize good quality pipes. I have Blue Ribands, Dunhills, Radice, Upshalls, CAO meerschaums, Castellos, Caminettos and others. Is there a learning curve and a trial by fire (no pun intended) required to reach the sacred grounds of tobacco connoiseurs and an appreciation for more sophisticated sources of nicotine? I would appreciate the experiences of others and your thoughts on this subject. Thanks

before joining the BoB, about all i enjoyed were really sweet tobaccos, largely aros. like you, i was disappointed that i couldn't appreciate what everyone else was talking about. two things changed that:

1. i learned to smoke my pipe correctly (was puffing too hard, packing too tight and it made anything but the sweetest stuff taste harsh and ashy).

2. some one told me to stick with something for awhile before trying something else. (hard to do when you have a dozen tins staring you in the face). but i took the advice and i picked a blend known to be a good example of a particular type of tobacco (i.e. virginia/english/whatever) and smoked only that until i could imagine it's flavor even before i lit it up. for me that took about a week.

over time, i learned what a virginia tastes like, what latakia tastes like, what orientals taste like, cavendish, a typical english blend and so on. i also learned that some things i didn't like the first or second bowl, i really grew to like later. once i had this 'base' knowledge of the basic ingredients in pipe tobacco, then i could just start going by my own tastes in what i'm drawn too. that's the fun part, and i'm still exploring what my tastes are. but i would have never guessed 6 months ago i would like straight virginias!

this was my experience anyway, whether it is helpful or not, don't know. (btw, frog morton is awesome!)

,,,if you've tried them and they aren't to your liking, so be it,,,,it's all about what YOU enjoy smoking,,,,

There are many experienced pipe smokers who have settled with aro blends. And there are no rules that state that aromatics are bad tobaccos. If you like it, enjoy it. That's perhaps the only rule. For the rest, pipe smoking is pretty anarchical.

I am faced with the same situation. I recently got my first pipe and have tried 3 different tobaccos. Thinking I may want to start trying some Virginias rather than blends with latakia first. I know there is a tendency to buy on-line and the fact that I live in NY with their crazy tobacco tax means I shouldn't buy at the local B&M, but they have so many to sample and even though I bought my pipe there, I feel guilty about trying the samples and not buying any tins.

Ken has been smoking longer than most of us have been alive and he prefers lakeland aromatics...

A mans experience is not determined by what he smokes but by how he smokes...
If your an aro smoker so be it. Tell us what's good or bad, Taalk about what works and what doesn't.. Let us know your favs.... That's what this board is about.

puros_bran":saoh3kok said:
Ken has been smoking longer than most of us have been alive and he prefers lakeland aromatics...

A mans experience is not determined by what he smokes but by how he smokes...
If your an aro smoker so be it. Tell us what's good or bad, Taalk about what works and what doesn't.. Let us know your favs.... That's what this board is about.
The wisest words I have seen here in quite some time!!! :cheers: :cheers:

Ken is a guru around here and Mudd and I had just smoked some Lakeland samples last week and we really did not like them. We were trying to figure out what the Guru saw in them but decided to shut up outa elder respect. Just goes to show!

As Muddler also mentioned there is no right or wrong in choice.
I really do not like heavy Lat blends, others do for example. No one here will crucify you for choices you make......... BUT, that said if you choose to smoke Walnut your circle of friends may diminish somewhat and you will need to hang with JP, VE and myself :lol: :lol: just joking man!

Each to his own brother!!!! Imagine how boring this place would be if we all smoked exactly the same blends? :pale:
Good luck and enjoy the ride!

The wisest advice that I ever got from anyone here on the boards is "Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke". I lost count of the number of BoBs that have told me that, and it really is true. The second best advice I ever got was try some Escudo! (Thanks Valky) ;)

New Smoker":3wd8wvih said:
The wisest advice that I ever got from anyone here on the boards is "Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke". I lost count of the number of BoBs that have told me that, and it really is true.

Yeah, but did anyone ever tell you in Latin? :lol:

Fuma quod amas; ama quod fumas.

Hermit":m97hafkl said:
New Smoker":m97hafkl said:
The wisest advice that I ever got from anyone here on the boards is "Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke". I lost count of the number of BoBs that have told me that, and it really is true.

Hermie! A Catholic in Ascension Parish? Nothing fishy there. :cheers:

Hermit":tuknzp96 said:
New Smoker":tuknzp96 said:

Never in Latin, until now. Thanks Hermit!

I can really relate to this topic. Reading tobacco reviews often mystify me, in the same way that listening to wine and Scotch connoisseurs talk about all the myriad subtleties of taste that they can detect also mystifies me. Maybe I just have pedestrian taste, or maybe Phillip Morris ruined my taste buds, who knows. All I know is I wish I could detect all those exotic flavors that apparently come to life for some in a bowl of tobacco. As it is, I still enjoy burning a number of different blends, aromatic and non. Once I got over the fact that smoking tobacco in a pipe is not quite like what I THOUGHT it would be like, I was able to start over and really find some blends that work for me. One of my faves, Astleys No.66, got pretty bad reviews in general, but has become an early morning favorite of mine. :pirat:

Hermit":jdul42sm said:
New Smoker":jdul42sm said:

Also in Afrikaans NS!!

Rook wat vir jou lekker is

Enjoy!

Piet Binsbergen":xnv51z65 said:
Hermit":xnv51z65 said:
New Smoker":xnv51z65 said:

Also in Afrikaans NS!!

Enjoy!
I've got to write all these down, I may be fluent in more than Appalachian when this thread is finished.

Piet Binsbergen":ntq48wir said:
Hermit":ntq48wir said:
New Smoker":ntq48wir said:

Also in Afrikaans NS!!

Enjoy!
Uitstekende advies, my broer Piet!
:cheers: :cheers:

Broer Piet, mag jy en BD geskep het 'n Afrikaanse MONSTER! ;)

I just don't know if I will ever get the slang korrek is!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Robert

Well Done Brother Rob!!
Yes we did create a monster and yes your slang is correct!!
Well done!!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks to everyone for their input. I am going to give some of these suggested brands another try. :)

I wish I could detect all those exotic flavors that apparently come to life for some in a bowl of tobacco.
Just pull over to the side, park, get out of the car and walk around for a bit. You'll find them.

People get so fixated on managing what's involved in smoking a pipe that they miss what's going on in the experience of it. Plus, they're usually either doing something else as well, or otherwise mentally AWOL.

When your attention's not distracted, there it is ! :cheers:

I was very proud of myself when I actually tasted the malt and the grapefruit in Laurel Heights :D Had to work at it, but persevered.

:face:

PS : most of the subtle flavors are on the edge where it's almost going out. Huffing it occludes the flavor(s).

WOW Yak, grapefruit and malt in LH??????
You better at it than I am man. I love the stuff but have never managed to taste that!!! Malt maybe!!!!!
good on ya bro!

GLP":ag6j1fgh said:
Rich, ripe, red leaf forms the base of this wonderful Virginia blend. The flavors are deep and round, with a smooth, natural sweetness, and subtle notes of orange peel, roasted oats, leather and peat. The smoke develops richness as it progresses, delivering a long, clean finish, that is never cloying or syrupy, with hints of malt and grapefruit. For lovers of darker, natural, unstoved Virginias.
:D

:face: