Am I a victim of marketing? s*^t.(RE: Dunhill's pretty tins)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hater

Reaction score
Every morning i start my day off with Dunhill's Morning Pipe. I mean who can resist the rooster? the morning sky and sun just makes me so darn happy. puts a smile on my face as it were. I giggle the whole time I'm loading it.

dunhill-earlymorning-pipe.jpg

and to make matters worse I smoke Dunhill's Nightcap each evening. I mean jsut look at the dark blue pulling you in and the sassy nightcap. (I'm watching 6 velvet nightcaps on Ebay at the moment all complete with fuzzy santa ball to wear when I smoke this FTMFW)

nightcap.JPG

So, BoBers, I ask ya... Have I been DUPED???

Nope, that classic look got me with EMP the first time I saw it. We had a thread recently asking the brothers if they were swayed by "tin art" at all in regard to their purchase, and the EMP was my "marketing weakness." Hell, the Dunhill tins have excellent fonts, colors and imagery in general. 8) Plus, I discovered EMP is a wonderful mixture. No duping here!

C&D has really plain tins and really "flashy" art tins, neither of which really got to me. Their art is cartoonish at best, and their plain stuff is sterile.

Rattray's non-yellow cans (Red Rapparee and Black Mallory) are kind of cool.

MacBaren tries a little too hard with classiness, although I find I love their product.

Gawith is kind of generic, but I do like the Navy Flake tin.

Peterson tins look pretty cool, good bold colors and the classic Peterson logo make ya feel like everything's alright. I just haven't found a blend of theirs that I'm in love with yet. :lol:

Greg Pease has cool tins, too. The ink sketches, good original photography and script lettering are pretty keen.

Kyle Weiss":813gq659 said:
Nope, that classic look got me with EMP the first time I saw it. We had a thread recently asking the brothers if they were swayed by "tin art" at all in regard to their purchase, and the EMP was my "marketing weakness." 8) Plus, I discovered EMP is a wonderful mixture. No duping here!
yeah? well riddle me this batman.... Why am i currently placing bids on 2 Night Caps that match Hef's smoking jacket? Can you tell me that???? Huh?? HUH?????

Hater":wnzfhni0 said:
yeah? well riddle me this batman.... Why am i currently placing bids on 2 Night Caps that match Hef's smoking jacket? Can you tell me that???? Huh?? HUH?????
You're trying to dress the part of your tobacco tins? Okay, that's just silly. :lol: But whatever gets ya through the day. 8)

Tin art is very important to me.

I love the font used on Merdian, Quiet Nights, and Chelsea Morning. The Maltese Falcon Tin art is probably my favorite. The McClelland Personal Reserve logo with the whale is nicely done. I really do like the EMP tin. There is something very inviting about that shade of blue. It speaks of a certain sense of optimism.

Make sure you get yourself a Churchwarden, and a brass candle holder with one of those thingamabobs to extinguish the flame with, to go with your nightcaps. Then you will be set.

The first non-aro I ever bought was EMP. The tin looked so perfectly classic, and the name was awfully appealing. Turns out I didn't (and still don't) care for the blend but that hasn't stopped me from trying other blends because I was drawn in by the name/tin art.

This was for me at least, THE Dunhill tin I am used to. The new ones the Dunhill is all wrong in the script font and the color of the tan is dull and the "My Mixture" part has gotten changed as well. They have made it more "modern" but the tobacco is still good :p I've still got about 16 more tins like this to go thru and after 20+ years of ageing, it is a MUCH RICHER, less sharp smoke than the new one, though the new is still very unique and good. Same can be said for the new Nightcap ( I've fewer tins of it the same age that I bought at the same time) . Dunhill's tin design were very Iconic and unique and I always have enjoyed looking at their tins ( My workbench in my garage has dozens of 965 and 759 tins holding screws and nails etc in them :p )

KGrHqZjYE2GsBYObjBNvwcV2SQ_31.jpg

C&D art is interesting...hit and miss, really, but some of them are pretty cool. Another example of a blend that isn't really my cup of tea, but tin art that I really dig is Autumn Evening.

idbowman":4h0bciqa said:
C&D art is interesting...hit and miss, really, but some of them are pretty cool. Another example of a blend that isn't really my cup of tea, but tin art that I really dig is Autumn Evening.

I would, however, much prefer a very sinister cat sitting in the chair, turned and looking at the viewer with angry eyes with pipe held thoughtfully.

Nope, I don't think you've been duped at all. Both blends are classics and among my alltime favorites. The nice tins are just icing on the cake! ;)

Being a graphic designer and font geek (some say font savant) the presentation of the material is very important to me. Very. Important.

The Dunhill tins may have drawn you in, (and me as well), but the excellent taste and smoking experience keeps you reaching for the tin once the novelty of the art wears off. Although I like my Nightcap in the morning...

Kyle Weiss":ezqi8nfa said:
Don't make me go Dexter on you.

384.jpg
Ahhh, Mixture 79. One of my all time favorite Tobacco Reviews likens that to smoking a urinal cake. :affraid:

Hater":3c1jqoqz said:
Kyle Weiss":3c1jqoqz said:
Nope, that classic look got me with EMP the first time I saw it. We had a thread recently asking the brothers if they were swayed by "tin art" at all in regard to their purchase, and the EMP was my "marketing weakness." 8) Plus, I discovered EMP is a wonderful mixture. No duping here!
TAAD?

Tobacco Accessories Acquisition Disorder

idbowman":uoppafoi said:

I really dig Autum Eveining. I have an 8 oz tin and I enjoy it in the evening. SHIT I'M BEING DUPED AGAIN!!!

DrT999":5sjfaol3 said:
Hater":5sjfaol3 said:
Kyle Weiss":5sjfaol3 said:
TAAD?

Tobacco Accessories Acquisition Disorder
well played, Sir! Well played indeed!