Am I Doing Something Wrong?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty Mouse

Reaction score
Brothers, I've gotta ask...

I had my first cigar on Friday, all went well, tasted great, then I had a different one yesterday (my tobacconist sent me a hand picked sampler box), it seemed to be the same strength as the first, albeit a completely different taste, but not too long after finished it I started feeling sick as a dog. This has happened to me before with certain pipe tobaccos also. I loved the taste, but am I doing something wrong? Am I just a wimp? Am I doomed to have this happen to me for as long as I smoke pipes and cigars?

IMO, I believe smoking every day, can condition the blood stream to handle nicotine more effectively. However, even experienced pipe and cigar smokers can smoke a particular blend such as Dunhill Royal Yacht on an empty stomach, and find their head sweating, and stomach churning.

The key is to get some sugar in your bloodstream before you smoke, whether that is a full meal, or just some simple sugar from candy. One of my favorites, is chocolate covered raisins, eaten between marathon smoking sessions at my local tobacconist. Not only does it help with the nicotine levels, it also helps to neutralize my palate before I smoke the next bowl or cigar.

I've heard of the sugar idea, but I never tried it. Maybe I'll grab some something loaded with it and plunk it down at my desk just in case, because it's a nasty feeling when it happens.

I don't smoke on a daily basis either, so that's probably the other issue. Now that I'm getting into cigars though, it'll be easier for me to smoke on the go and more frequently.

Other than a few exceptions, JKP and Black XX, I've never felt sick or sweaty after smoking a pipe tobacco. I attribute this to the fact that I am such a big cigar smoker. On average I have about 5 cigars a week and have been smoking that kind of quantity for about 4 years. I personally think its just a nicotine tolerance thing. The sickest I've ever been off tobacco was back when I started smoking cigars. I had a Cusano Sungrown on an empty stomach and felt like I needed to vomit for several hours. The room wouldn't stop spinning either. If you plan on increasing your tolerance you'll be fine. If you don't make sure you have a good meal on hand and keep some candy nearby.

These guys nailed it, Mouse.

Unless it's Jackknife Plug, Warrior Plug or Peterson Irish Flake, I usually can handle most nicotine buzzes. I try not to "go there," but often, if I'm lost in some kind of activity or simply really enjoying the moment, it's hard not to stick around for the entire ride.

That said, you'll probably have to build up some tolerance, mind your eating habits beforehand, and maybe even pack half-bowls (or use smaller pipes, or buy smaller cigars) for a while if you know a particular tobacco really messes you up. Cigars have very rarely ever given me any noticeable nicotine rush--not sure why. Doesn't seem to matter what my "tolerance" is, or what I'm routinely smoking at the time.

8)

Life is not nice as far as we all being able to equally do things. Some folks have a lower tolerance to Lady N than others, And I know NONE of us pipe or cigar smokers inhale , EVER, :twisted: , you obviously didn't get overloaded with Lady N THAT way :twisted: Having also been a cig smoker for a long while ( hell I just LIKE tobacco :p ) It takes quite a bit of Lady N to have any effect on me, but I have been ingesting it for twice as long as you have been alive. Relax, pay attention to what your body is telling you and carry on. Unless you are alergic to tobacco it will all work out!!

Dutch":eq61ntv9 said:
IMO, I believe smoking every day, can condition the blood stream to handle nicotine more effectively. However, even experienced pipe and cigar smokers can smoke a particular blend such as Dunhill Royal Yacht on an empty stomach, and find their head sweating, and stomach churning.

The key is to get some sugar in your bloodstream before you smoke, whether that is a full meal, or just some simple sugar from candy. One of my favorites, is chocolate covered raisins, eaten between marathon smoking sessions at my local tobacconist. Not only does it help with the nicotine levels, it also helps to neutralize my palate before I smoke the next bowl or cigar.
Yup...we've all been there. And we'll probably all be there again.

For me, I like a plain ol' Hershey's bar and a tall glass of ice water to keep the system and palette on an even keel.

Thanks guys! I just bought two big ol' bags of the sugariest candies I could find and put them in a jar right beside where I usually smoke. Hopefully this will help next time.

Being a long time cigar smoker, I can relate to the adverse effects of strong nic blends. Had a couple that gave me the shakes, sweats, followed by an involuntary evacuation of the lower bowels.....

:suspect:

Those brands shall remain nameless for the time being.

That was a good few years ago, and my tolerance has gone up a bit.

I still don't appreciate high nic blends, whether it be cigars or pipe weed. Don't want the "buzz", but can tolerate it in small doses.

I've found a small spoonfull of sugar dissolved on the underside of the tongue to be helpful in these rare instances when the nic thing raises it's ugly head. And I also don't reach for them on an empty stomach. Been there, done that......

Cheers,

RR

When I smoked cigars I mostly liked the screamers, which for me were the Padron Anniversaries, etc.

I smoke Dark Flake daily for 3 years and preferred the high nicotine pipe blends. But I haven't gone back to that diet as the high nic blends sacrifice complexity for strength.

My best advice is as soon as you get queasy, stop, or within seconds you'll have your head in the toilet. Once you body says enough, stop right then or you'll regret it. If I do this I'm fine within minutes and can smoke again in about an hour.

I have pretty good tolerance for lady N. The rare times I overdose, it tends to sneak up on me and I don't notice until it's too late. I get that queasy, sweaty feeling and have to stop. The times I can remember have all been when I've been clenching and focusing on something else. Perhaps by clenching I tend to inhale more smoke? :drunken:

Dutch mentioned Royal Yacht. The last nicotine sweats I remember having was while smoking Royal Yacht. That stuff is way stronger than it looks.