American Aromatics

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briar Spirit

Reaction score
This question I posed on another forum and I rather thought it might be something folk here might be able to shed some light on for me.

I was recently'ish gifted some very enjoyable aromatics samples from our very own wonderful Walt and to be honest they have really got me seriously curious about US aro's. The UK available aromatics I have tried in the past were bloody awful at best and left me quite convinced that anyone smoking aromatics needed their heads testing, of course I am seeing a new light on the horizon.

It's not something I can venture into as yet but I would greatly appreciate any views or suggestions for good US aro's for me to look into trying, I really don't like alcohol in my tobacco so nothing along those lines. I'm not overly keen on heavy berry flavours but am rather partial to cherry. I've heard mention of US aro's which smell and taste rather like cookies, now that sort of thing strikes me as rather tempting, I adore coffee flavoured tobacco so any suggestions along those lines would be great, additional anything with maple or vanilla would be interesting to try.

I was very fortunate to try the Baileys Supreme blend that the 'Chief' (god rest) used to sell and I must say that was spectacular, so anything along those lines would be fabulous.

I should stress as well that anything with Latakia is a HUGE no-no, can't stand the darn stuff, I tried getting back into it but turns out I still can't stand the stuff.

Suggestions and recommendations would be fantastic, thanks for taking the time to read my drivel.

Kirk and aromatics  :affraid:  I've been enjoying Lanes Hazelnut quite a bit lately and popped open a tin of McClellan's Best of Show last week and like that one also.

Yeah, this is a bit surprising to find out. But hey, nothing wrong smoking aromatics. I wish I could derive more satisfaction from them.

One that I would openly endorse...

HPCS - Trout Stream

A while ago Rich @ 4noggins sent me a sample of a blend called Double Fantasy, which is mocha flavored. I enjoyed it. Not something I would smoke with any amount of frequency, but it was quite good for its style.

Though I'm a convinced RedVa smoker, with a few English/Balkans thrown in to keep thins interesting There is one Aro that I always keep on hand as it's NOT goopy, cloying nor soaking wet with PG and smokes nice and sweet and dry and smooth. Dan's Tobacco Melonga which I would think you might find available over your way!
The other one that is really a "classic" Aro found under many names in just about EVERY B&M here in the US, Lane's 1-Q ! It's sold in bulk by ALL B&M's and e-tailers just about world wide. JMHO  :twisted: 

I agree on the 1Q! For myself and Dan Tobacco,  Blue Note is my favorite. Milonga and Sweet Vanilla Honeydew are ok to me and I have yet to crack open Devil's Holiday. I love aromatics, but there are a lot of them I don't like. Peterson and McBarren aromatics I can't stand, although I like ODF and Irish Oak. I agree on Autumn Evening from C&D. Boswell's Christmas Cookie is a keeper for me. I'll post some more when they come to mind. This topic got me back into posting and not just looking Kirk! It's also that this dummy finally got a smartphone.

Some great ideas there chaps, many thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate that very much.

Very pleased to see you posting again Clay and many thanks for your excellent suggestions my friend.  :sunny: 

The best maple is Vermont Maple Cavendish from Pipeworks and Wilke or maybe Town Topic from McClelland. If you happen to like Perique and something more along the lines of a semi-aromatic, then 4noggins Essence of Vermont is an outstanding burley/perique with maple in it.

For vanilla, Pipeworks and Wilke 191 is the best there is.

fsu92john":vcp5fnas said:
C&D Autumn Evening is quite pleasant.
Agreed. Autumn Evening and 1Q are the only two aromatics that I smoke regularly. With a little CB white thrown in for good measure.

I did get a pretty healthy size sample of Lane's Hazelnut in my last shipment, not too bad. I won't order more, but I'll happily smoke through any further samples that tag along with future shipments.

Dave_In_Philly":13od9axk said:
fsu92john":13od9axk said:
C&D Autumn Evening is quite pleasant.
Agreed. Autumn Evening and 1Q are the only two aromatics that I smoke regularly. With a little CB white thrown in for good measure.
Add me to the Autumn Evening fan club. I'm not a huge aro smoker (mostly just this and occasionally some Lane stuff), but this seems to do the trick for me.

+1 on 191 and Vermont Maple from Pipeworks and Wilke. If you contact Carole Burns (owner of P&W) on the Internet site, she can also fix you up with a nice sampler of her blends that won't require a big investment in any single blend that might/might not do much for you.

I also agree with the Lane Hazelnut rec. This is a low cost, low maintenance, easy-to-like blend that tastes like, well, hazelnuts, but also maybe like baked goods depending on your briar of choice. I like to keep some Lane Hazelnut and RLP-6 on hand for occsions when I'd like a quiet 45-minutes or so, without working at it.

And while you're enjoying American aros, why noy acquire a couple humble cobs to enjoy them in?

Many many thanks for all of the wonderful replies and very helpful suggestions/recommendations, some superb food for thought indeed.

It'll be a good long while before I can invest in anything, personal stuff which I don't wish to bore you good folk with but once the clouds lift and the sun shines once more over the horizon I shall indeed be making very good use of these excellent suggestions.

Possibly just makes me seem a little strange but just being able to discuss such things as future possibilities makes the drudgery of the long wait seem a tad less strained, thanks for your very kind replies and consideration, I appreciate it very very much.  :sunny: 

Autumn evening gets my vote as well. I try other stuff and always come back to this.

Really not a fan of tobaccos with alcohol in them and having both Rum & Whiskey in it Autumn Evening is a definite no for my tastes but I appreciate the replies, many thanks.  :sunny: 

Briar Spirit":r0wb98p5 said:
Really not a fan of tobaccos with alcohol in them and having both Rum & Whiskey in it Autumn Evening is a definite no for my tastes but I appreciate the replies, many thanks.  :sunny: 
For what its worth, the only flavor I get out of AE is maple. Its like smoking waffles for me.

I didn't realize it had the other flavorings until you just said so, and I have smoked it for years.

Dave_In_Philly":wzkc0yju said:
For what its worth, the only flavor I get out of AE is maple. Its like smoking waffles for me.

I didn't realize it had the other flavorings until you just said so, and I have smoked it for years.  
Oh my goodness, now you really do have me chomping at the bit, I cannot say as Aromatics would ever take the place of my much beloved Va/Pers but hot damn that sounds absolutely delightful. Thank you kindly for letting me know Dave, appreciate that very much.  :sunny: 

Yeah, if Autumn Evening has any booze in it, then it evaporated off the tobacco before it was put in my tin because I too only tasted maple. Still it wasn't my cup of tea.

Storm Crow mentioned Essence of Vermont. Now that's a good tobacco forward smoke that just happens to be maple sweetened. It has a nice sweet/sour thing going on and a bit of spice & complexity from the perique.

DrumsAndBeer":okmy4vs5 said:
Storm Crow mentioned Essence of Vermont. Now that's a good tobacco forward smoke that just happens to be maple sweetened. It has a nice sweet/sour thing going on and a bit of spice & complexity from the perique.
Now that we're talking about EoV....it's about time I put in an order. I really love that stuff. Nothing else out there quite like it.

DrumsAndBeer":cbf6brvl said:
Yeah, if Autumn Evening has any booze in it, then it evaporated off the tobacco before it was put in my tin because I too only tasted maple. Still it wasn't my cup of tea.

Got them both on my ever growing list Buddy, got to say i am rather partial to Maple so I will have to give AE a try at some point, EOV is certainly a blend i am going to try my hardest to get hold of at some point.

Something I have noticed with almost all Aromatics is how low they are in the Lady-N department, reckon I'll have to get hold of some good hearty strong Burley at some point too so I can add a proper kick in the rump from the Good Lady-N.

The closest I come to an American aro without a liquor topping is Lakeland Brickle Fortissimo. If you were so inclined you should probably not start with the Fortissimo version but the standard. I've not had that one yet though. This is an American tobacco with some aromatic elements but is in the vein of British Lakeland tobacco. Florals are involved. You've been warned.