Ammonia scent

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrumsAndBeer

Reaction score
Every now and then when I am smoking a pipe, I'll get a subtle hint of an ammonia like scent wafting from the bowl. I tend to notice it a bit more when I clench and practice breathing with the pipe, I also notice it more with blends that have a fair amount of Turkish in them and with certain lat mixtures. I really noticed it smoking the newer Orlik version of EMP.

I don't particularly dislike the aroma, it reminds me of the scent some greener cigars have, I also notice it in certain snuffs, and I know there's a tremendous amount of ammonia created as a byproduct of the curing process. But I was under the impression that when cured correctly the scent should be fully rendered from the leaf.

Anyone else ever experience this or am I crazy?

I rest my pipes well, and I typically dry my tobacco a bit before smoking.

Anyway, just thinking aloud at this point....

DrumsAndBeer":ci8n5992 said:
Every now and then when I am smoking a pipe, I'll get a subtle hint of an ammonia like scent wafting from the bowl. I tend to notice it a bit more when I clench and practice breathing with the pipe, I also notice it more with blends that have a fair amount of Turkish in them and with certain lat mixtures. I really noticed it smoking the newer Orlik version of EMP.

I don't particularly dislike the aroma, it reminds me of the scent some greener cigars have, I also notice it in certain snuffs,  and I know there's a tremendous amount of ammonia created as a byproduct of the curing process. But I was under the impression that when cured correctly the scent should be fully rendered from the leaf.

Anyone else ever experience this or am I crazy?

I rest my pipes well, and I typically dry my tobacco a bit before smoking.

Anyway, just thinking aloud at this point....
Never had this, after reading this you may want to check with a doctor though.

Ammonia smell in the nose is often caused by Phantosmia, a brain related problem. It is also caused by lack of enough carbohydrates in the body. You should consider increasing the percentage of carbohydrates in your diet and if the smell persists, go for a thorough check-up by a good Neurophysician.

Could it be part of the aging process, so to speak? Something similar to what cigars go through?

my husband checks his boxes of cigars regularly before he smokes anything out of them. If there is even the slightest hint of ammonia he says they are going through another fermentation.

Does pipe tobacco do this too?

Every once in a while I get the ammonia scent and I'm just fine (according to my doctor). I have gotten the same scent from cigars.

Cartaphilus":z1n8bmtr said:
Ammonia smell in the nose is often caused by Phantosmia, a brain related problem.
Way to cheer everyone up, thanks Ron.   :x 
Some of us on here have enough 'brain related' problems as it is.   :affraid: 

:lol!:

Cart said:
"Never had this, after reading this you may want to check with a doctor though.

Ammonia smell in the nose is often caused by Phantosmia, a brain related problem. It is also caused by lack of enough carbohydrates in the body. You should consider increasing the percentage of carbohydrates in your diet and if the smell persists, go for a thorough check-up by a good Neurophysician."

Thanks for the tip, Cart.  Never heard of that but certainly worth remembering.

Rob_In_MO":xjjtk1yt said:
Cartaphilus":xjjtk1yt said:
Ammonia smell in the nose is often caused by Phantosmia, a brain related problem.
Way to cheer everyone up, thanks Ron.   :x 
Some of us on here have enough 'brain related' problems as it is.   :affraid: 

:lol!:
Thank you Rob and Walt, just doing my job sirs, looking out for mankind and making sure we all can live another day of happiness and bliss in the wonderful Garden of Eden that we've made for ourselves.  :D 

Puff Daddy":0sl26vn9 said:
Stop using the toilet brush to scrub out your pipes.

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:  :lol!:  :lol!:  :lol!:    

That's the funniest reply I've ever seen posted on this forum.

AJ

To do list for next week -
1. Call Neurologist regarding potentially serious brain disorder.
2. Buy a different brush to clean my pipes with, preferably one that won't get mixed up with the toilet brush.

Gee, thanks guys!  :p 

One thing's for sure, next time I'll think twice before posting any serious questions here. ;)

I have always understood that if you are getting an ammonia scent, then the tobacco was not cured correctly. Ammonia is a byproduct of color curing and fermentation. You should not get this smell from a manufactured product. This is what I have read, I don't really have any specific experience to draw from.

Are you getting the smell from the unburned tobacco as well, or just when you smoke it?

Ammonia and ammonium are a natural byproduct of composting action. The compost process happens as bacteria break down material in the tobacco. This can be anaerobic or aerobic. In the case of these tobaccos it is almost certainly the anaerobic action, that meaning that all oxygen was depleted around the tobacco before the action took place.

You may try to air the tobacco a little bit and possibly "turn" it before smoking to let all the byproduct gases of the aging process dissipate.

Generally I'd say this is a good sign since it would mean that your tobacco is stored air tight and it IS aging well if you can smell the ammonia.

DrumsAndBeer":5o7ca4xt said:
To do list for next week -
1. Call Neurologist regarding potentially serious brain disorder.
2. Buy a different brush to clean my pipes with, preferably one that won't get mixed up with the toilet brush.

Gee, thanks guys!  :p 

One thing's for sure, next time I'll think twice before posting any serious questions here. ;)

For the straight skinny on your legitimate question why don't you ask Greg Pease or Russ Oullette? They will give you an answer you can trust, not that any of the brothers would deliberately steer you wrong. Just saying.  :) 

AJ

Northern Neil":gbmlbuqf said:
Are you getting the smell from the unburned tobacco as well, or just when you smoke it?
Neil, Only when smoked.

Tate":gbmlbuqf said:
You may try to air the tobacco a little bit and possibly "turn" it before smoking to let all the byproduct gases of the aging process dissipate.  

Generally I'd say this is a good sign since it would mean that your tobacco is stored air tight and it IS aging well if you can smell the ammonia.
Thanks. One thing I probably don't do enough of is drying tobacco before I smoke it. Part of the problem I have with my current schedule is that I try to squeeze pipes in here and there, so I usually don't have the actual time needed to properly air the tobacco out, only smoke it. Anyway, good advice.

ajn27511":gbmlbuqf said:
For the straight skinny on your legitimate question why don't you ask Greg Pease or Russ Oullette? They will give you an answer you can trust, not that any of the brothers would deliberately steer you wrong. Just saying.  :) 

AJ
No doubt. I bother Greg with questions that I have enough. I once asked him a question about the Kentucky leaf in Cumberland. My question prompted him to change the description on his website, and apparently change the label too. I felt like a bit of a muckraker.  :fpalm:

Easy solution to your problem, smoke McClelland's blend s ONLY. Ketchup is BETTER than Amonia  :twisted: :twisted: 

DrumsAndBeer":k6851e7c said:
... prompted him to change the description on his website, and apparently change the label too. I felt like a bit of a muckraker.  :fpalm:
Shit disturber. No wonder you use a toilet brush to scrub out your pipes  ;) 

Although I've NEVER smelled ammonia from my pipe or the tobacco in it I would think that if it's from aging that it has chemicals in it that shouldn't be. Anyone that has smelled back alley's or outhouses knows they smell of ammonia and I certainly don't want that in my pipe.
Ammonia is not a good smell nor is the chemical, smoke what you want (if that's the culprit) but, I'll stick to non-ammonia tobaccos.

And to set things straight, I was being serious in my 1st post.
Just because a doctor says your alright doesn't necessarily mean your all right.
I would think there are certain tests that would have to be done to determine if it has anything to do with your health that a normal doctors visit does not include.

Now if it is only smelled when smoking a certain pipe or a certain tobacco I myself would eliminate those two from my diet or at least the tobacco and clean the pipe well.

Tate":uilbht25 said:
Ammonia and ammonium are a natural byproduct of composting action.  The compost process happens as bacteria break down material in the tobacco.  This can be anaerobic or aerobic.  In the case of these tobaccos it is almost certainly the anaerobic action, that meaning that all oxygen was depleted around the tobacco before the action took place.

During the peak of the "Cigar Boom", this was an unfortunately common problem. In an effort to meet demand, manufacturers were rushing the process.

There were several articles on the subject published in the cigar magazines. Tate's explanation is a pretty good synopsis of those articles. The tobacco, at some point in the process, wasn't quite ready for the next step.

The best solution for cigars was to air them for a few days, then put them back in the humidor to re-stabilize. Pipe tobacco could be treated the same way. Air it out and turn it occasionally, then re-hydrate and re-jar it.

I have a friend who is really into snus. Not Skoal, but good, imported snus, usually from Sweden or somewhere overseas.

They always smell like ammonia. According to him, it's the fermentation process of the tobacco, mixed with bergamot.

I have no idea if that is true or not, but these high dollar snus smell like high dollar packets of cat piss to me.