amount of Perique in VaPers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
monbla256":s0sn9l9n said:
leacha":s0sn9l9n said:
Purchase some McC 5100 RC along with your perique. Pull out some mason jars and make up some small batches say in the 5%, 10%, 15%, etc. Let them sit for a month and smoke away. You'll find out your tolerance level and have some very tasty VaPers to smoke. After that you can play around with the blends by adding a little stoved Virginia, some lemon Virginias, whatever. If you keep it simple you'll always have some low cost VaPers that you know you'll love.

Just my 2¢
Some sound advice here, well worth giving it a try at a reasonable price too !! :twisted: :twisted:
I've been smoking 5100 mixed with about 15% 4noggins perique for a while now. I find it very tasty but not as an everyday smoke though. I keep it as a special treat. I like perique in a big way but in different amounts. Pete's Irish Oak is my daily go to tobacco with such a small amount of perique that its hardly noticable. I also smoke a bowl of either Escudo or OGS daily. My other periques are PS LBF and LNF, Prairie Wind and Bayou Morning.

I've also mixed Erinmore Flake and perique 70/30 .......good and clean and fresh, tra la la :bounce:

I've also tried little cocktails where I mixed very small amounts, like 2 or 3 bowls at a time.

The only "rule" I know is: "Smoke what you like and like what you smoke".

Richard Burley":hol1pe9o said:
MichaelM":hol1pe9o said:
U-235":hol1pe9o said:
Richard Burley":hol1pe9o said:
...or you could do what the late British, ah, eccentric Aleister Crowley allegedly did: smoke pure perique soaked in rum. Yummy!
That doesn't surprise me.  He probably has smoked pure nutmeg as well. :lol:
Not that it matters, but I thought Crowley smoked straight latakia.   Likely not for enjoyment as much as the attention it brought.
Mike.
Dunno. Thought I read it in an old Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris years ago--which I still have, but am too lazy to look it up.  The guy was a flaming weirdo.
Flaming weirdo indeed. We sure agree on that!

MichaelM":hamlw4a2 said:
Richard Burley":hamlw4a2 said:
MichaelM":hamlw4a2 said:
U-235":hamlw4a2 said:
Richard Burley":hamlw4a2 said:
...or you could do what the late British, ah, eccentric Aleister Crowley allegedly did: smoke pure perique soaked in rum. Yummy!
That doesn't surprise me.  He probably has smoked pure nutmeg as well. :lol:
Not that it matters, but I thought Crowley smoked straight latakia.   Likely not for enjoyment as much as the attention it brought.
Mike.
Dunno. Thought I read it in an old Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris years ago--which I still have, but am too lazy to look it up.  The guy was a flaming weirdo.
Flaming weirdo indeed.  We sure agree on that!
I've smoked straight latakia and perique a couple of times. Not much to it. Latakia on it's own is smooth and very weak, no kick. And if you think straight perique tastes like peri peri, please try it. You're going to be soooooo surprised!

SpeedyPete":y2jmpaz4 said:
monbla256":y2jmpaz4 said:
leacha":y2jmpaz4 said:
Purchase some McC 5100 RC along with your perique. Pull out some mason jars and make up some small batches say in the 5%, 10%, 15%, etc. Let them sit for a month and smoke away. You'll find out your tolerance level and have some very tasty VaPers to smoke. After that you can play around with the blends by adding a little stoved Virginia, some lemon Virginias, whatever. If you keep it simple you'll always have some low cost VaPers that you know you'll love.

Just my 2¢
Some sound advice here, well worth giving it a try at a reasonable price too !! :twisted: :twisted:
I've been smoking 5100 mixed with about 15% 4noggins perique for a while now. I find it very tasty but not as an everyday smoke though.  I keep it as a special treat.   I like perique in a big way but in different amounts. Pete's Irish Oak is my daily go to tobacco with such a small amount of perique that its hardly noticable.  I also smoke a bowl of either Escudo or OGS daily.  My other periques are PS LBF and LNF,  Prairie Wind and Bayou Morning.

I've also mixed Erinmore Flake and perique 70/30 .......good and clean and fresh, tra la la :bounce:  

I've also tried little cocktails where I mixed very small amounts, like 2 or 3 bowls at a time.  

The only "rule" I know is:  "Smoke what you like and like what you smoke".

"Smoke what you like and like what you smoke"
Yes it all boils down to that! I read tobaccoreviews when I have an interest to try a particular blend for the first time. After some time, I learned to separate the objective from the subjective in a review - at least to a certain degree. But ultimately, I know for sure when I stuff my pipe and torch it up.

As far as VaPers are concerned, I ordered and smoked what I thought were the big players (namely Escudo, Dunhill DNR, Esoterica Dunbar and Dorchester). As soon the package arrived at my door, I loaded my pipe and started puffing. I enjoyed them, but the Perique didn't strike me as I thought it would. Maybe my expectations were set to high or maybe I have not developed the palate for these fine blends. Does the Perique become more defined in these blends after some aging?

When I was a kid, I could not eat fava beans. I eventually developed a liking to them - to the point where I now crave them. With so many dedicated VaPer smokers among us, I feel as if I am missing out on something. Like fava beans, it may be a matter of developing a palate to discern the subtleties in these blends.

Unfortunately, I live quite a distance from any pipe smoking club or from pipe smokers in general for that matter. Some of the local smoke shops have a very nice selection of fine cigars in their humidors - cigars are a big thing here, but surprisingly there aren't enough pipe smokers around for these shops to stock up with any tins. So I am very grateful for all of your suggestions and replies. I'm glad to hear that you enjoy the 5100 & Perique. I am going to give that a shot. I will also continue to smoke the Escudo & others and put some away to age.

One last thing. I very fond of the British products, especially Samuel Gawith, JF Germain, and Gawith & Hoggarth. What do you guys thinks of SG's St. James Flake (which seems hard to find now) or G&H's Louisiana Flake?

I hesitate to buy more tobacco as I have collected quite a bit, but since I will be placing an order for 5100, I thought I would add G&H's Louisiana Flake to my list. Here's where my TAD comes in. I see GLP Fillmore come up as a popular VaPer - that may end up on my list as well.

I believe, in time, the perique in VaPers rounds itself out, and becomes less spicy... I know there are many on here who could tell you better than me.

I also like SG blends and have been wanting to try the St. James Flake. If you make that purchase, let us know how it holds up in your quest for the perfect VaPer.