An English/Latakia Memory

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WingRider

Reaction score
The coming of fall, with cool, wet, rainy weather, along with an interaction with a fellow pipe smoker on another forum from wet rainy Oregon, brought back a memory.

For some reason since my motorcycle accident my tobacco tastes have changed. I really don't understand this because none of my food or drink tastes have been affected. What has occurred is that before I liked English blends, and not Vapers. Now it's just the opposite.

I actually miss liking latakia blends because what I remember most is how much I enjoyed them on cool wet rainy days. One of my best smokes was coming back from having just visited pipesandcigars.com in Albany NY. I had a wonderful several hour conversation with Russ Ouellette, and he gave me a sample of Larry's Blend. A couple of days later I was riding the Goldwing back through a light mist in northwestern NJ, and stopped at a wooded rest stop. I got under a picnic table overhang, loaded up the pipe with Larry's Blend and, in my memory, it was incredible. The woods, the mist, the flavor. Nothing's really taken its place on those cool wet days.

It may very well be an example of what C. S. Lewis calls the "Joy Longing," but it's a great memory.

I loved how the weather and your visit to pipesandcigars and Russ Ouellette engendered a very memorable bowl. From your description I can see you enjoying it.