An old dog can learn new tricks... packing.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 2031

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I've been smoking a pipe for quite a few years and have always just layered my tobacco into my pipe and tamp down lightly between layers... I never really had a problem with it, except sometimes it left a bit of unburnt tobacco at the bottom.

This morning while looking on Youtube I saw what some guy referred to as the "Frank method"... I thought well, why not give this guys method a try. So I loaded up the Ferndown Canadian according to his instructions with some FMOTT.

What I noticed is that my pipe burned better than it does with my layering technique and it DID burn down to a nice ash. I also discovered something I totally did not expect to discover, but MY FMOTT just seemed better. I mean, I already like FMOTT very much, but it seemed even more flavorful and gentler, and I don't think it is just my imagination.

Does anybody else do it this way? What are your observations?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kJP0JaNRw6Q" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dude! Love your avatar.
When I was growing up in southern Indiana, my granddad subscribed to the Chicago Tribune and every year, about this time, that scene was featured on the cover of the magazine section. It was an annual tradition for us to read the story of that picture.
:lol!:

shootist51":b0gqxjjv said:
Dude! Love your avatar.
When I was growing up in southern Indiana, my granddad subscribed to the Chicago Tribune and every year, about this time, that scene was featured on the cover of the magazine section. It was an annual tradition for us to read the story of that picture.
:lol!:
Yep! Same here! I grew up in Northern Indiana and loved it when the Trib ran this every year too. It was first ran in 1907 and is a poem and illustrations by John McCutcheon titled Injun Summer... here is a link if you would like to read it again.

Injun Summer

I use the Frank method Jack. For me, it enables me to have a great smoke.

Interesting, I will have to get a butane lighter when I come back home and give his method a whirl.

Simple Man":xdonrt8s said:
kaiser83":xdonrt8s said:
Interesting, I will have to get a butane lighter when I come back home and give his method a whirl.
That's the only difference for me, I still use matches.
So you are just adapting the packing method and keeping your light the same? If that's the case I will try out his pack tomorrow.

I found that vid last week and tried it. <shrug> Honestly I didn't see any improvement in burn time or having to relight over my usual method. Maybe I'll have to try it again but... One method that did seem to give me a good burn all the way down was Dave McGrane's swirl method found here. I've been using this method for about 4 days now and each bowl's burned all the way down with maybe 1 relight at most.

TonyS":rp7e73hw said:
I found that vid last week and tried it. <shrug> Honestly I didn't see any improvement in burn time or having to relight over my usual method. Maybe I'll have to try it again but... One method that did seem to give me a good burn all the way down was Dave McGrane's swirl method found here. I've been using this method for about 4 days now and each bowl's burned all the way down with maybe 1 relight at most.
Tony, after trying it again for a few times, I have to agree. I thought I had found something remarkable, but I guess not. :scratch:

Today I went back to doing it the way I always have and it worked out just fine. So, I don't know... guess you really can't teach an old dog new tricks. :lol:

ADDED: I'll check out your link in a bit, cooking dinner right now. :D

Simple Man":70x3xbfy said:
Tony, after trying it again for a few times, I have to agree. I thought I had found something remarkable, but I guess not. :scratch:
It doesn't hurt to try new things. The first time I tried it I had a great smoke.... but the first time was it. The subsequent times I was thinking to myself, "Self, this is a lot to pack a damn bowl!" :D

gravel":ffzwzcwy said:
That thumb thing can be learned with an Atari 2600 joystick.
Hey, I still have mine somewhere! Probably right next to the old Star Wars stuff. :)

The "Frank Method" is like making love, which is nice, but sometimes I just feel like a nice quick shag. Probably why I'm into flakes at the moment... Bend her over and stuff it in! Now that's what I call a quickie!

UniversalCode":vo69bkbm said:
The "Frank Method" is like making love, which is nice, but sometimes I just feel like a nice quick shag. Probably why I'm into flakes at the moment... Bend her over and stuff it in! Now that's what I call a quickie!
That is how I started the day. :twisted:

I hope you have an assitant & not doing this all on your own. :pirat:

Packer a couple of bowls this way and worked well but used regular lighting method as i don't have a butane fire stick.
Don't know if i dislike any of my pipes enough to use one of them in it.