an unexpected treasure

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob the coldblooded

Reaction score
So my grandfather is moving to north carolina and was going through some of the old stuff and found HIS fathers pipe tool... Today it was given to me. it's left with no engraving.. should i get it engraved with the family name or leave it blank?

Wow, you great-grandfathers pipe tool, what a treasure indeed. I have the same tool, found on Ebay last year. At first I thought leave it as found, but your great-grandfathers initials might look good.

Harlock999":kz2528im said:
I would leave it the way it is.
I second this. I got one of my grandfathers infamous pocket knives when he passed away. I thought twice about restoring, it and should have thought 3 times. I spent a good long time making her look new again, and once I was complete it just didn't seem the same. I never ever saw his knives look new, he actually put them to good use. "Shiny" just isn't the way of a farmer....at least not that farmer. If I had it to do again, I would leave it alone and enjoy it exactly as I always remembered it.

Just my two cents.

PS. A very cool treasure indeed.

This type of heirloom should be protected and displayed. It's not like you need another pipe tool. This however, is something you should hold onto, you may even have a campfire moment with your grandkids and pass this onto them.

I'd leave it as is.

You might think about building a little treasure chest for your treasure.

A nice wood box. Fit some foam and cover with fabric of your choice to hold it and then put the family info on a plaque on the box. It would be great provenance for your family treasure; and, a fun project.

A very cool piece of family history! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Go with your gut feeling, did you wish it had your great grandfathers initials, name or family name when you first seen it. If you did so might the lucky one who you pass it on too.
Congrats on a fine tool and a great keep sake. :cheers:

Just use it, care for it and pass it on when it's the time to. It's s tool, and as such should be used. I have my fathers 'v' cutter that he used on his cigars and I still use it.

Thank you all, it sits on my pipe rack for now until I can make a nice box. I plan on using it (gently) since it is the only pipe tool I own. I also think I may leave it as is. I didn't know my great grandfather so this is the only thing I have from him accompanied by a few stories

Perhaps the only thing you should add to it is more history: use it, appreciate it, care for it, let it continue to develop even more character until it gets passed on to another family member down the road, with more stories attached.

An incredibly cool, sentimental heirloom. :cheers:

8)

Very awesome!! :cheers: 
Me personally, if it is in as good of shape as it looks, I would get it engraved and use it all the time! I can't think of a better way to keep your grandfathers memory alive! But that's just my opinion.