Angler's Dream ... an Amateur's Review

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveaux

Reaction score
A while back, I mentioned wanting to try Angler's Dream, but not wanting to invest in an entire tub. Brother Simple Man offered to send a sample and I, of course, accepted.

A few days later, I get a box containing a heapin' helpin' of Angler's Dream, a big sample of Storm Front, and a tin of McClelland / P&C Lazy Day. It was a good day! Thanks, Brother.

Angler's Dream is Russ Ouellette's tribute to Codger Burley blends.

From P&C; "This is my tribute to those solid, reliable smokes - light, pleasant aroma, easy on the palate and tongue. Angler’s Dream takes it a step further by using higer [sic] quality tobacco, delicate flavors while keeping the price affordable."

In the tin/tub/bag/jar, it's a broken flake cut of Burley with a little Black Cavendish mixed in. Not as finely cut as Prince Albert or Carter Hall, but not really a ribbon, either. The raw note is cocoa, tobacco, and a hint of honey. My sample was ready to smoke, no drying needed.

In the bowl, it packs easily and stays put. Very manageable cut/texture.

At the char, it lights readily and produces mass quantities of smoke. The initial flavor is classic ... nutty, sweet burley, with a little earth and leather in the background. I notice the cocoa more in the nose than on the tongue here. There has been a lot written regarding the cinnamon essence in this blend. For me, it hasn't shown up yet.

Tamp, light, and go ... the initial flavors are back, and they stay pretty much the same throughout the bowl, all the way to the bottom. Re-lights are minimal, and usually my fault. It doesn't get bitter, it doesn't get ashy, it doesn't get wet. This is quality tobacco.

As the bowl warms, the cocoa and sweetness come up to join the fine Burley flavor and the cinnamon shows itself. The cinnamon, to me, is an always present tingle on the tongue and in the nose, but complimenting rather than over-powering or interfering with the other flavors. As I said earlier, it stays this way to the end. No big changes, just the same great mild-medium flavor profile, all the way through. I can't get it to bite.

I have smoked Angler's Dream in briar and cob. I prefer it in a cob, but that's probably just my personal paradigm coming through. It's just as tasty in a briar.

As much as I enjoy CH and PA, Angler's Dream is real "game changer" in my world of Codger Burleys. In my opinion, Mr. Ouellette has managed to create more than a "tribute". Angler's Dream is a superior quality blend.

I'm getting a tub.

*Your mileage may vary, some assembly required, batteries not included, parental guidance suggested ... , etc.*

Nice review.

I agree completely with your assessment of the blend.

I've always got a tub on hand and order a freshy before I really need to. Great " kick around " smoke for sure.

I'm with you, its good stuff and anything that promotes Codger Burleys is ok in my book. That being said, it won't replace Carter Hall or Prince Albert in my rotation and with the two of them I don't really need the third wheel.

Personally I found it necessary to smoke this at a trout stream to cool my tongue from the bite!