Angular Banjos, Sound Good To Me...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vito

Charter member
Reaction score
Good music, brilliantly played by someone who has mastered her art.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tAZCmtJzkJc" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:joker:

Beautiful!
Strangely, she appears to be performing at the condo complex I used to live in...must be a coincidence. Still, very nice, thanks for the post! :cheers:

For anyone who wonders if that instrument has ever been used in a pop-rock setting, the answer is a big YES. 8)

In the mid/late 1980's there was a killer band called Hiroshima that featured one (and much of their music was written by its player), and they absolutely kicked ass.

The vid is a laid back studio piece, but live they were monsters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJEzRA_FbFo

I love the sound of that always cool to see the instruments of other cultures.

With the surge of interest in the harp guitar over the last 20 years, the market has been flooded with the inevitable stream of collectors, who have driven the prices of that instrument up and out of reach of many players. Eventually, if the demand persists, new makers will emerge, increasing the supply, and driving prices lower...you know, just the way it's supposed to work when markets aren't meddled with.

In the meantime, the gu zheng (the subject of this thread) provides a more exotic and far more versatile alternative to the western harp guitar...albeit more challenging. Sonically, it can do most of what a harp guitar can do, plus a great deal more. The technique is totally different, of course. There are all sorts of things to learn about it, but composing for the instrument is a treat, and it's well worth the effort.

Indeed, I'm finding that to be true of most ethnic instruments. As my skills grow (along with my "working collection" ...meaning, they're for playing), the payoff is more than just an expanding sonic palette for my own recordings; it's a greatly expanded musical mindset—a vastly larger musical frame of reference—wherein the things I learn from each weird, new instrument enhance my abilities on the familiar old instruments. It's way cool. 8)

newjok12.png

Harlock999":bzwepg8t said:
Beautiful!
Strangely, she appears to be performing at the condo complex I used to live in...must be a coincidence...
Harlock: Then again, it might be the very same complex. Bei Bei lives in Orange County.

Vito":o31dee0f said:
Harlock999":o31dee0f said:
Beautiful!
Strangely, she appears to be performing at the condo complex I used to live in...must be a coincidence...
Harlock: Then again, it might be the very same complex. Bei Bei lives in Orange County.

:lol!: