Annotated Sherlock Holmes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regulus

Reaction score
For you diehard Holmes fans, Norton publishing house has a 3 volume "The Annotated Sherlock Holmes". The books contain the entire collection of stories with marginal notes printed in columns of crimson type face next to the black text of the author's original text. The has spiced up my reading - you get the familiar story but can glance at the annotated (notes) column and get some extra insight.

The notes tell background, confirm details, and speculate of little issues. It makes reading a lot more interesting, if you've read a given story multiple times before. It is all very well done.

If you just want to chill out, I am a Jeremy Brett fan - there is no other Holmes!

I agree completely. Essential set for any Sherlockian. The additional info gives many of the stories an improved sense of place and time. Highly recommended.

Regulus":4ds5qswz said:
For you diehard Holmes fans, Norton publishing house has a 3 volume "The Annotated Sherlock Holmes". The books contain the entire collection of stories with marginal notes printed in columns of crimson type face next to the black text of the author's original text. The has spiced up my reading - you get the familiar story but can glance at the annotated (notes) column and get some extra insight.

The notes tell background, confirm details, and speculate of little issues. It makes reading a lot more interesting, if you've read a given story multiple times before. It is all very well done.

If you just want to chill out, I am a Jeremy Brett fan - there is no other Holmes!
On TV/in movies, I agree with you! However, have you ever checked out the Clive Merrison series that was broadcast on the BBC in the late 1990's? Merrison took Brett's portrayal a step further IMO and really showcased Holmes' compulsiveness in a manner that has never before done justice to the Canon. Go to www.timespast.ning.com sometime, sign up for an account, and head over to the Sherlock section where episodes from the Merrison series can be downloaded for free. They actually recorded the entire Canon and also did about a dozen or so additional "original" episodes, which related to suggestions from the original stories. Very well done and I hope you look into it.

-Scott

scottbtdmb":7q3navro said:
Go to www.timespast.ning.com sometime, sign up for an account, and head over to the Sherlock section where episodes from the Merrison series can be downloaded for free. They actually recorded the entire Canon and also did about a dozen or so additional "original" episodes, which related to suggestions from the original stories. Very well done and I hope you look into it.
What an impossible-to-navigate mess that site is. I heartily applaud the intent, but damn... Those guys need a competent web designer in the worst way.

LL":513pcxka said:
scottbtdmb":513pcxka said:
Go to www.timespast.ning.com sometime, sign up for an account, and head over to the Sherlock section where episodes from the Merrison series can be downloaded for free. They actually recorded the entire Canon and also did about a dozen or so additional "original" episodes, which related to suggestions from the original stories. Very well done and I hope you look into it.
What an impossible-to-navigate mess that site is. I heartily applaud the intent, but damn... Those guys need a competent web designer in the worst way.
Agreed! There are some real gems on there though