Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenleaf

Reaction score
I've been thinking of this recently, but I don't hear dumb ass remarks like I did when I was younger. Still, I'd like to know if others have dealt with this nuisance. You're smoking your pipe out in public, and some troglodyte just has to make an inane comment about having just seen a real live pipe smoker. Here are some of the brilliant remarks I've heard.

"Hey, I smoke somethin' else from a pipe, he he."

"Why you smokin' a pipe?" (say what?)

An ignorant ass reference to Sherlock Holmes, these would annoy me the most, just appallingly stupid (I always wear a hat, an ivy dress, not a deerstalker, but an unfortunate coincidence nonetheless)

There were others, of course. Y'all heard any comments like that? Which ones do you find the most asinine?

Actually had the opposite happen on Halloween. I was downtown trick or treating with the little one and a woman commented on how much she loved the smell coming from my pipe. Mind you this was the first time I've been out and about smoking it so it could very well be an anomaly.

I did hear positive comments back then, I was smoking aromatics. That and some people are charmed by a pipe if it evokes fond memories of a dead family patriarch. I don't know, my grandfathers smoked cigarettes, but the children and grandchildren of pipe smokers see the pipe in a positive light. Whether they'll outright admit it or not.

I heard a woman behind me once as I was smoking say to her friend, "I think all pipe smokers are lazy! Don't you?" :evil:

Falconer":l3uv5n4d said:
I heard a woman behind me once as I was smoking say to her friend, "I think all pipe smokers are lazy! Don't you?" :evil:
Better than trying to rush through life 100 mph... Smoking a pipe allows one the freedom to really stop and smell the roses, burly, latakia, virginia, perique, or English for that matter...

I rarely, if ever, smoke in public. But one time I was at the post office mailing a package of various tobacco samples to a fellow Brother... so there I am in line, and I get to the window and proceed to putting the finishing touches on the package.

The mail person at the window (a woman) commented on the smell... I said it was pipe tobacco. She picks up the box, puts her nose to it, and inhales deeply, then says, "Wow that reminds me of my father -- I LOVE that smell!"

Well, the woman in line behind me then says that her father used to smoke a pipe, and could she please smell the box... so then she smells it and says she LOVES the smell too. At hearing this, another mail employee behind the counter asked to smell it, he loved it, then two more people in line behind me asked if they could smell it.

Everyone was commenting on how great it smelled, how it reminded them of this person or that.

During all of this, the original sniffer, the mail lady, was actually tearing up, because the odor had apparently brought back strong memories from when she was a little girl.

It was a totally surprising, very awesome experience!

That is a good story. I do see pipe smokers in public, but only while in their cars. Why is this? I just don't get it. I always smoke mine wherever I go, hardly every like to put the pipe down. Plus, I don't drive, never owned a car and don't care to fool with it so long as I work only a mile from home as I've generally been sure to do.

Hey, show your pipe smoking mug around town and maybe I won't look so damn conspicuous.

I was at my 5yr old son's t-ball game and myself and another kid's dad were both smoking a pipe in the bleachers and woman approached us and said "smoking will kill you". He replied is a soft monotone voice "giving unsolicited advice may get you killed faster than smoking". That was one of the funniest moments of my life.

I smoke my pipes in public all the time and get mixed comments such as " wow that really smells good" or "that reminds me of my grandfather" and sometimes it's "that thing smells worse than a cigar". To each their own, if you don't like my pipe, don't breathe in my smoking space!

New Smoker":xdqs7k0n said:
I smoke my pipes in public all the time and get mixed comments such as " wow that really smells good" or "that reminds me of my grandfather" and sometimes it's "that thing smells worse than a cigar". To each their own, if you don't like my pipe, don't breathe in my smoking space!
What a jerk!! :lol!:

Greenleaf":fmfsm9pd said:
I've been thinking of this recently, but I don't hear dumb ass remarks like I did when I was younger. Still, I'd like to know if others have dealt with this nuisance. You're smoking your pipe out in public, and some troglodyte just has to make an inane comment about having just seen a real live pipe smoker. Here are some of the brilliant remarks I've heard.

"Hey, I smoke somethin' else from a pipe, he he."

"Why you smokin' a pipe?" (say what?)

An ignorant ass reference to Sherlock Holmes, these would annoy me the most, just appallingly stupid (I always wear a hat, an ivy dress, not a deerstalker, but an unfortunate coincidence nonetheless)

There were others, of course. Y'all heard any comments like that? Which ones do you find the most asinine?
I have heard the "sumthin else" comment one time and the response I made is better suited to the "Rubber Room". Most common comment is that reminds me of __________, he smoked a pipe too.

I did have a situation when I was sitting at the bar of my local pub, smoking a Virginia blend and isolated by several empty seats from other patrons. In walks a guy and his wife who deside that they will set right next to me. He is a cigarrette smoker, she a rabid anti, my assumption is he doesn't have the nuts to smoke in front of her, after several minutes, I found that a tamp and re-light were called for and proceeded to do just that. Once the pipe was going I set back to continue my pipe and single malt. Suddenly the woman made a rude noise and said rather loudly, "What's that nasty smell?". I calmly turned to her and said, "I don't know for sure, but I bet if you close your mouth and put your knees togaether, it will go away."

Once he quit laughing she snatched him up and they both stormed out. I guess I was right about the origin of the "nasty smell", because once they left several people commented that my pipe reminded them of ___________. :D

New Smoker":rd0auer7 said:
Here in Indianapolis, virtually the only place you can smoke publicly is a tobacco shop or a bar/pub, consequently. this is where I hear the most comments. Probably 98% of the comments are positive, to the negatives I point out that they are in a bar, if smoking bothers them they might be better served spending more time at church, where smoking is prohibited. I can't help but wonder how many souls I may have saved :D

J_Rock":bto901oq said:
I was at my 5yr old son's t-ball game and myself and another kid's dad were both smoking a pipe in the bleachers and woman approached us and said "smoking will kill you". He replied is a soft monotone voice "giving unsolicited advice may get you killed faster than smoking". That was one of the funniest moments of my life.
Reminds me of the story about the young tough sitting on the curb smoking. Seems an older, very prim and proper gent approached the youngster and stated, "Smoking will kill you!" to which the young fellow replied, "My grandfather lived to be 103!".

Taken aback the gent asked "Was me a smoker?"

The youngster said, "No sir, but he knew how to mind his own dern business!"

shootist51":yp8krhm5 said:
J_Rock":yp8krhm5 said:
Reminds me of the story about the young tough sitting on the curb smoking. Seems an older, very prim and proper gent approached the youngster and stated, "Smoking will kill you!" to which the young fellow replied, "My grandfather lived to be 103!".

Taken aback the gent asked "Was me a smoker?"

The youngster said, "No sir, but he knew how to mind his own dern business!"
That is a good one. I will have to remember that one.

shootist51":p7spzlsj said:
New Smoker":p7spzlsj said:
Here in Indianapolis, virtually the only place you can smoke publicly is a tobacco shop or a bar/pub, consequently. this is where I hear the most comments. Probably 98% of the comments are positive, to the negatives I point out that they are in a bar, if smoking bothers them they might be better served spending more time at church, where smoking is prohibited. I can't help but wonder how many souls I may have saved :D
I know that most states laws don't abide my thinking, but it is my opinion that I should have as much right to smoke my pipe as everyone else has to breathe.

One of my favorite quotes is from Charles Lamb, "May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest". I think someone on the boards had that as their signature at one time.

Just about everywhere i go smoking is prohibited.The only place that i can smoke is the local tobacco shop,in my garage or my porch.I dont smoke in the house at all.
Maybe this is another reason I find it so relaxing.....no one to bother me. :D

Such ingenious rejoinders, damn! Gentlemen, you make me proud. We gotta write these down and save them for posterity. Last time I was in such a situation, I just said "mind your own g*****n business" and concluded with "so f**k you." No, I wasn't in rare form. Can you believe this "no smoking within 50 feet of this building" nonsense? The guy could've whipped my 140 pounds, but my stoneface does look crazy when I get to fulminating. Heck, that sort of thing is an enjoyable old pasttime.

Already can't help but snarl so often when I go out, just look at these freakish fashion statements and sorry idiot fools. Does it strike y'all funny that given all that, a guy just smoking his pipe should attract some special attention? I gotta take a break from this topic, have a drink and smoke a tall cob. Thanks for making my day.

This happened the last time i had my annual health check at work.

Doctor: "Do you smoke?"
Me: "Yes i do"
Doctor: "How many cigarettes per day?"
Me: "Non. Zero. I smoke pipe"
Doctor: "Pipe? Don't you know it is so old fashioned? Nobody smokes a pipe"

Doctors last sentence was such a great silencer. For a moment i thought about starting a conversation about my reasons for smoking. I never came to thinking that being old fashioned or most fashionable dude in town had something to do with my pipe :shock: But the doctor, younger man than me, was obviously living on a different planet where being fashionable is a key to all the good things in life, so all i could say is "so fucking what?"

Nice Story TB..................
Here is one I get:
"Have You just smoked a pipe?....... go spray on some deodorant and brush your teeth, YOU STINK!"