Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Handsome Dynamite":fvn5u31n said:
Blackthorn":fvn5u31n said:
Handsome Dynamite":fvn5u31n said:
They all usually bother me. Being twenty, smoking a pipe and not small in anyway, it's hard for me to go unnoticed. The comment that always gets me is "Now that's classy." or some configuration of that. Do they mean that as a compliment or an insult? Since obviously in my worn boots, oil stained jeans, tshirt and leather jacket, I'm far from class.
I think I've got ya beat, Dynamite. I'm 5'7", I wear cargo shorts, t-shirts, and skater shoes, I play in a band, and I'm 23. Not exactly the epitome of the classy pipe smoker here. :joker:
I dunno, working on a night freight team and being too lazy to shave more than once or twice a month is pretty bad....
Course talking about unclassy we are has to give lots of non-class points
I don't mean to be ugly or rude... really, I don't! But, this is sounding kind of like my ex-wife... "I can't go anywhere... my hair's a mess... my shirt's got a stain on it (invisible to the rest of the world)... I'll bet he's saying... I just know she thinks... Did you hear what she said... Do these pants make my ass look big... Have I got too much makeup on... "

Come on guys... we're men!!! And, as pipe smokers we are in the company of famous people, world leaders, world class lovers, and some of the most intelligent men to ever set foot on planet Earth!!!!!!!! If we enjoy our pipe and our tobacco and someone else doesn't... F**K'EM!!!!! If they are so shallow that they will allow a pipe hanging from your mouth or the good smell of a pipe tobacco to prevent them from getting you to know you for who you are... PISS ON THEM!!!! They AIN'T worth your time anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just my humble opinion!! :lol:

Robert

beebiz":ltbv26f1 said:
Handsome Dynamite":ltbv26f1 said:
Blackthorn":ltbv26f1 said:
Handsome Dynamite":ltbv26f1 said:
They all usually bother me. Being twenty, smoking a pipe and not small in anyway, it's hard for me to go unnoticed. The comment that always gets me is "Now that's classy." or some configuration of that. Do they mean that as a compliment or an insult? Since obviously in my worn boots, oil stained jeans, tshirt and leather jacket, I'm far from class.
I think I've got ya beat, Dynamite. I'm 5'7", I wear cargo shorts, t-shirts, and skater shoes, I play in a band, and I'm 23. Not exactly the epitome of the classy pipe smoker here. :joker:
I dunno, working on a night freight team and being too lazy to shave more than once or twice a month is pretty bad....
I don't mean to be ugly or rude... really, I don't! But, this is sounding kind of like my ex-wife... "I can't go anywhere... my hair's a mess... my shirt's got a stain on it (invisible to the rest of the world)... I'll bet he's saying... I just know she thinks... Did you hear what she said... Do these pants make my ass look big... Have I got too much makeup on... "

Come on guys... we're men!!! And, as pipe smokers we are in the company of famous people, world leaders, world class lovers, and some of the most intelligent men to ever set foot on planet Earth!!!!!!!! If we enjoy our pipe and our tobacco and someone else doesn't... F**K'EM!!!!! If they are so shallow that they will allow a pipe hanging from your mouth or the good smell of a pipe tobacco to prevent them from getting you to know you for who you are... PISS ON THEM!!!! They AIN'T worth your time anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robert
It's all in good fun, beebiz! I pride myself on being an oddball amongst my many friends, and I'm the first and maybe only one of my group to actually have an interest in the art of the briar. It's a great way to start up conversations, though, and I'm going to do my best to get my friends interested and make a tradition out of it. :D

Blackthorn":vk8yrjpx said:
beebiz":vk8yrjpx said:
Handsome Dynamite":vk8yrjpx said:
Blackthorn":vk8yrjpx said:
Handsome Dynamite":vk8yrjpx said:

Robert
It's all in good fun, beebiz! I pride myself on being an oddball amongst my many friends, and I'm the first and maybe only one of my group to actually have an interest in the art of the briar. It's a great way to start up conversations, though, and I'm going to do my best to get my friends interested and make a tradition out of it. :D
Whew... you had me sweating a bit there!!! I've pretty well always been one who had the kind of attitude that I outlined above!! :D

It's always good to learn of young folks who are interested in pipe smoking... for something other than MJ and instead of cigarette smoking!! I wish that when I was younger I had realized how much better it would have been for me and how much more enjoyable a pipe is than cigarettes! But, I was young... and, didn't know about such things!!! :roll: :roll:

Robert

BTW, I apologize for the admonishment! I just hated the thoughts of you allowing tobacco nazis and other similar idiots to "step" on you!!!!!! ;)

beebiz":l2yd606b said:
Whew... you had me sweating a bit there!!! I've pretty well always been one who had the kind of attitude that I outlined above!! :D

It's always good to learn of young folks who are interested in pipe smoking... for something other than MJ and instead of cigarette smoking!! I wish that when I was younger I had realized how much better it would have been for me and how much more enjoyable a pipe is than cigarettes! But, I was young... and, didn't know about such things!!! :roll: :roll:

Robert

BTW, I apologize for the admonishment! I just hated the thoughts of you allowing tobacco nazis and other similar idiots to "step" on you!!!!!! ;)
It's no problem at all! As I said, I pride myself on being uniquely odd amongst my friends, so I'd sooner cut off my own arm and eat it than let someone's opinions have any effect on my enjoyment of tasty, tasty pipe tobacco. :D

Blackthorn":j0hktmq9 said:
It's no problem at all! As I said, I pride myself on being uniquely odd amongst my friends, so I'd sooner cut off my own arm and eat it than let someone's opinions have any effect on my enjoyment of tasty, tasty pipe tobacco. :D
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

beebiz":bm16fcz5 said:
Come on guys... we're men!!!
Exactly...the clothes don't make the man, so to speak. And life's too short to worry about what other people think.

Jack Straw":t7nipnyf said:
beebiz":t7nipnyf said:
Come on guys... we're men!!!
Exactly...the clothes don't make the man, so to speak. And life's too short to worry about what other people think.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Right on, beebiz. I must say though that being odd ain't a great way to make life easier, but piss on 'em, indeed. We are men, and smoking ain't a damn fashion statement. Sure would be nice if passers-by understood this.

Hey, I was out in lily-handed Far North Dallas waiting at a bus stop this morning, just leaning against a post and puffing away on a windcapped MM General while clipping my nails (while wearing my linen flatcap and Roy Orbison-ass sunglasses, if you wanna talk fashion) I looked over at a pretty brunette driving by in her little German car, she had been shooting me this look like I was a masturbating flasher on the train. My big pipe must have struck her deeply offensive. An oddly priceless moment.

Greenleaf":n39qj46s said:
Right on, beebiz. I must say though that being odd ain't a great way to make life easier, but piss on 'em, indeed. We are men, and smoking ain't a damn fashion statement. Sure would be nice if passers-by understood this.

Hey, I was out in lily-handed Far North Dallas waiting at a bus stop this morning, just leaning against a post and puffing away on a windcapped MM General while clipping my nails (while wearing my linen flatcap and Roy Orbison-ass sunglasses, if you wanna talk fashion) I looked over at a pretty brunette driving by in her little German car, she had been shooting me this look like I was a masturbating flasher on the train. My big pipe must have struck her deeply offensive. An oddly priceless moment.
A big toothy grin and a friendly wave would've made it an epic moment worthy of video documentation.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Blackthorn":t3qta92a said:
Greenleaf":t3qta92a said:

A big toothy grin and a friendly wave would've made it an epic moment worthy of video documentation.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
indeed! :cheers:

beebiz":3k7ib9df said:
Blackthorn":3k7ib9df said:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I naturally dress how I feel for that day, and smoke regardless. Suit somedays, but usually my functional worn clothes. Don't matter. Smoker all the same. Just not sure about why people connect pipe smoking to classy. Only one or two of my friends is really into pipes, I stand out and don't mind.

I started smoking a pipe when I was 18 and didn't look back. I've gotten mostly positive comments and most people just come up and start talking probably just to be around the aroma. I do get some looks though but they've never bothered me because you can't figure out what a person is thinking and if you try you'll probably get it wrong anyway. I find it easier to only focus on the good comments/looks anyway - my day tends to go better that way.

I teach at a proprietary technical school and on breaks I'll go out and smoke with the students. No one, and I mean - NO ONE ever comments on the smell. They just talk with me then we all go back to class. When I did some training at another place, when they smelled the tobacco, the people who worked there would almost flock outside to start talking to me just to smell the pipe.

I find most of the people who have a negative reaction to the pipe probably have a negative reaction to A LOT of things and it's just one more thing to have a problem about. Just bless their pointed little heads and send them on their way, then sit back, relax, and think about how lucky you are to be in the "classy" minority of this unique brotherhood.

Blue Max":8eu4beju said:
I find most of the people who have a negative reaction to the pipe probably have a negative reaction to A LOT of things and it's just one more thing to have a problem about. Just bless their pointed little heads and send them on their way, then sit back, relax, and think about how lucky you are to be in the "classy" minority of this unique brotherhood.
Now THAT'S what I call a classy understanding and a classy reaction!!!!!!!!

Robert

beebiz":7dyrllab said:
Blue Max":7dyrllab said:
Now THAT'S what I call a classy understanding and a classy reaction!!!!!!!!

Robert
Dang bro's Now that was well said!!!!
Bravo!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Greenleaf":192vy3j9 said:

That was what you did on Tuesday, right? :p :p :p

I sometimes get some disparaging comments but, more often than not, people think it is interesting.

Occasionally I hear "Nice pipe!" and wonder if it's sarcastic. Mostly kind words, though.

People who know me have said, "That's so You." And I can't exactly argue with that one, can I?

One... vagabond, shall we say, asked me for an ace off my pipe after I explained that no, I did not have any cigarettes. I was kind of dumbstruck by so many things about that. (All I had to do was show him the mouthpiece--it was a chewed-up yard pipe--and he understood this was not anything he wanted.)

DoverPipes":egps6vbk said:
Greenleaf":egps6vbk said:

That was what you did on Tuesday, right? :p :p :p
Well, in no alternate reality can I see such a woman stopping to give a guy like me a ride of any kind. So, at least I had some fun with her. :sunny:

Doc Manhattan":r4dtwj2z said:
Occasionally I hear "Nice pipe!" and wonder if it's sarcastic. Mostly kind words, though.

People who know me have said, "That's so You." And I can't exactly argue with that one, can I?

One... vagabond, shall we say, asked me for an ace off my pipe after I explained that no, I did not have any cigarettes. I was kind of dumbstruck by so many things about that. (All I had to do was show him the mouthpiece--it was a chewed-up yard pipe--and he understood this was not anything he wanted.)
Yeah, I've had people ask me for a take off my pipe. I'm like. Uuuuhhhhh. No.....

Hey, I used to share my briar with dancers at the strip club. Happy smoking for me, too.