Another Corn Cob Thread...From An Impressed Englishman.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henwrench

Reaction score
OK, so, I'd been thinking about purchasing my first cob because of some of the threads here and there. I looked on eBay and around the web. And thought, 'yea, I'll get one when I'm ready. I want to add to my collection of briars, and well, you know, I'm really digging that Popeye look'.
Yesterday, the evil Mrs henwrench and I were on a day out about 30 miles east from where we live,to a small, innocuous sea-faring town called Falmouth. Upon our arrival we entered a newsagents. A regular, nothing special newsagents. And there, behind the counter were a rack of Original Missouri Meerschaum 'Legend' Corn Cobs. I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing. And at the rather attractive price of £6, I of course snapped one up. I now wish I'd bought the shop's entire supply.
I've only smoked her twice, both times with Irish Oak, and I am mightily impressed. This cob is wicked, it burns pretty quick but without being hot at all, I'm finding the sweeter edges to the Oak tobacco are more pronounced. As I said, I wish I'd bought a load more of these little wonders, and I will be in the future.
If you're wondering about the power of the cob, get one. I know availability is probably not an issue for some of the American 'Brothers', but all you other Ol' Limey Bastards, go get.

Glad you enjoy the Cob, Brother!

Now you see what why Americans are bragging about them so much. Not at all the look or image of a Fine Briar, but they are darn good smokers in their own right (as you've noticed).

Many blends will taste a little differently in a Cob, especially a new one. Give it about 6-bowls and see how you like it then, they just seem to get better as they break in.

You are only 30-miles away, so it sounds like a road trip is in order. :cheers:

I have to agree that any folk back home should nab them when they see them. I'd never tried one until I moved over here and was thrilled at the great quality for such a low price!

I never wanna be without my cobs, no matter how many excellent briars I own. I'm eagerly waiting for the new bulldogs which should make their appearance some time during the next 12 months.

SpeedyPete":oj1jlyn8 said:
I never wanna be without my cobs, no matter how many excellent briars I own. I'm eagerly waiting for the new bulldogs which should make their appearance some time during the next 12 months.
The lack of rainfall and severe heat was tough to this year's crop. We might not see the bulldogs for a couple of years.

Nice to hear from West Penwith!

Someone should mention that the MM Legend is one of their smaller cob offerings. The "Diplomat" is more like normal pipe size. Missouri Meerschaum has an Internet site that displays their wares and you may be able to order and have shipped.

Yah, too bad about this year's U.S. corn crop.

I received a refurbed estate James Upshall "Dublin" a few days ago, and happened to put it down on the desk beside an MM Diplomat. The difference in "pipely presence" was comical. But if the Upshall is as eager to please as the MM I'll be a happy pipester.

Smoked her today fully loaded with University Flake, really fantastic smoke. I'm sooo digging the look of the Country Gentleman, but unless I can find a UK supplier, I just can't even think about the $20.00 postage charge. I'm a man of ridiculously low funds at the moment :cry: HA!! Nevermind....

I can assure you from personal experience that an MM Country Gentleman would be an excellent choice. In fact, given the low initial cost compared to a halfway decent briar, you might consider both a straight and a bent, explaining the purchase to yourself as follows: "Self, the purchase price plus shipping of a CG is still lower than if I just walked into a shop and bought a briar. And, since shipping for two cobs is as low as one, and since the pipe itself is the cheapest part of this transaction, I'm going for it." Channel the assertive spirit of Lord Nelson. ;)

KevinM":ro78ry7n said:
I can assure you from personal experience that an MM Country Gentleman would be an excellent choice. In fact, given the low initial cost compared to a halfway decent briar, you might consider both a straight and a bent, explaining the purchase to yourself as follows: "Self, the purchase price plus shipping of a CG is still lower than if I just walked into a shop and bought a briar. And, since shipping for two cobs is as low as one, and since the pipe itself is the cheapest part of this transaction, I'm going for it." Channel the assertive spirit of Lord Nelson. ;)
Agree 100% :cheers:

My Country Gentleman is one of my best smokers, briars included. And it is maturing so nicely, the colour is unique and improving all the time.

Highly recommended!! :bounce:

Blackhorse":b8k3lnea said:
I sent Mars an email to see what the shipping to England would cost.
Mars doesn't ship outside the US, expect for APO.

tiltjlp":6hasbzkn said:
Blackhorse":6hasbzkn said:
I sent Mars an email to see what the shipping to England would cost.
Mars doesn't ship outside the US, expect for APO.
I bought all my cobs directly from Missouri Meerschum, nice people to deal with.

I had the same opiffony when on vacation in Sweden last year. I had packed tobacco, tools, wind caps and all sort of unnecessary pipe stuff. When i arrived i found i forgot THE PIPE.
Drove down to the closest mall and there it was, a rack full of bent and straight MM cobs. They where cheap as chips as well, only 2$ a pop. I bought the whole supply of 12 pipes, still have 9 of them unsmoked in "backup".
That week in the south east of Sweden taught me that MM cobs are great! But i still enjoy my briars more.

-Ole

You could always get the bag of "seconds," from MM. That may make up for the difference in shipping cost to the UK. 10 pipes for $30.

I went online to the USPS International Shipping page and put in 12 oz. for a shipping weight. To the UK it said that the shipping would be a bit over $10 for what we can Priority...and they quoted 6 - 10 days.

It would seem to me that ordering from the folks directly at MM or from one of the other online vendors for a couple of cobs wouldn't be all that cost prohibitive.

But I went to another site and put one cob in the cart and listed the UK as the country and it came up with a $40 shipping charge! Ouch!!!

I sent an email to another vendor asking about shipping to the UK so we'll see if the answer is the same. If they're nailed to that high cost for whatever reason, and if the $10 rate is accurate (I can always ask the guys at the PO the next time I go) that one of the bros here could do something for someone over there...you buy it and ship it to one of use and we stick it in the mail to you, etc.

So...at this point...answer re: shipping is pending.

In my prior incarnation as a pipe smoker I had 70 briars and 2 cobs. I smoked the cobs rarely as I felt that I liked briar better. On re-incarnating the price of briars made me say, “Oooh, ahhh, and thusly, no way, Jose.” Even good smokers cost $50; and the $100-$300 price that I had paid for many of my estates was currently waaaaaaay out of range. Now I have 9 cobs and 2 briars. The cobs' performance is very impressive. Billy Budd, Bow-Legged Bear, Escudo and Aged Burley Flake never tasted so good nor smoked so well.

I am most impressed with the draw of these pipes. For $8, the choice is obvious. The only problem for me are the plastic stems on my old cobs, and I fear the thinner gauge of the new lucite stems will also not endure the current vigor of my jaws. It was not uncommon with thicker lucite or vulcanite on my evanesced briars for my teeth to make minor indentations, but the wear on these stems from just two weeks of smoking is cause for alarm. But it will require a sea change before I pay $20 for a Forever Stem from Briar Pipe Works, though I’m confident they are great stems and would endure. Another $20 for a $8 pipe? I’d rather buy a $50 briar good smoker with a thicker stem.

henwrench, all you have to do is find a UK distributor, perhaps the owner of a B&M with whom you have a relationship? It would be a low margin, but he would make money, especially if you offer to buy the first 10 pipes he imports. Maybe?

Just a suggestion.

I'll have to break out my couple of cobs now. I found I really loved the natural finish on the least expensive line by MM, but I burned through one of those just after giving away my fresh back up to a friend. (The ones I've got are the finished surface.)

One of my best smoking memories was a cube cut burley blend topped with pear or apple I think in the now burned out cob. Really great combo for sure, and I ought to seek the same pleasure with other tobaccos too. I've been either loving my briars instead or trying to smoke new cake into the new ones though so I've not wanted to "waste" smoking time in cobs as a result. Maybe that's been foolish. I'll be smoking the cobs for a good change and experiment shortly.

(I've meant to get playfully colorful lucite forever stems as well but haven't gotten off my butt to get them--a cob would look great with a red or deep green stem, I'm thinkin'.)