Another hello from the Netherlands

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fmw

Reaction score
Hey!

It seems like you've got a very nice community here. My name is Filip. I'm Dutch and as I was born in '85 I'm pretty young for a pipe smoker. This gets me the occasional questioning look or comment when venturing outside with a pipe, but I suppose that is something I will have to endure. I started smoking (mostly Cuban) longfiller cigars about nine years ago, but moved on to cigarettes as they were cheaper and more convenient. While smoking cigarettes I got myself a few pipes, but a few months ago I stopped smoking cigarettes altogether in favor of pipe tobacco.

Pipe smoking has become a bit of a hobby. Especially due to all the great information that is available on the internet. Right now, I'm mostly experimenting with different tobaccos. I find that I really dislike aromatics, but quite enjoy English blends, Virginia/Perique and other more natural tasting tobacco. My favorite so far is Dunhill My Mixture 965, which I order in Germany as it isn't available in the Netherlands. But I'm still searching and love digging through reviews on sites like TR.com.

Outside of pipe smoking I'm somewhat of a bibliophile. I just love reading and collecting books. I'm a computer programmer, mostly working on open source development. Professionally, I'm using my programming skills in an entrepreneurial way in an attempt to create a successful internet startup.

I'm happy to meet you and hope to learn a lot here, as well as share what I find along the way with the rest of you.

- F.M. de Waard / fmw

Welkom Broeder!
Dit maak ons 3. Ek, Martin en jy!
Dit is leuk hoor. Mijn Vader kom uit Hiversum, nou in Zuid Afrika!
Hup Holland HUP
Groetnis uit donker Afrika
Pieter Arie Binsbergen

Piet Binsbergen":gw7hs9y5 said:
Welkom Broeder!
Hup Holland HUP
Pieter Arie Binsbergen
uhhhh, what he said :D :p

Piet Binsbergen":u6iuce47 said:
Welkom Broeder!
Hup Holland HUP
Pieter Arie Binsbergen
Between my knowledge of German and English (mother tongue), I am amazed of how much of that I can make out:

"That makes us three. Me, Martin and you. ? My father is from Hiversum, now is South Africa. ? (probably something like 'three cheers for Holland!). Greetings from darkest Africa."

It is silly, but I have been to the Netherlands a few times (will be there again in November for a conference). Like in most of Western Europe, everyone was so patient to speak English with me (and everyone knew at least a bit - often much more than that) so that I never once had a problem. Every time I am in Europe (outside of the UK that is), I feel so embarrassed that us Americans are so overwhelmingly unilingual (a matter of geography to be sure, but still)!

Welcome Filip. I share your two passions, being something of a bibliophile (a bibliomaniac, actually) myself!

Welcome Filip! As you have probably already sumised, we have some mighty fine Dutch Afrikaan brothers here.

Me, I'm just a redneck from North Carolina, USA but I love everyone the world over!

Kapnismologist":47msf9rh said:
Piet Binsbergen":47msf9rh said:
Welkom Broeder!
Hup Holland HUP
Pieter Arie Binsbergen
Between my knowledge of German and English (mother tongue), I am amazed of how much of that I can make out:

"That makes us three. Me, Martin and you. ? My father is from Hiversum, now is South Africa. ? (probably something like 'three cheers for Holland!). Greetings from darkest Africa."

It is silly, but I have been to the Netherlands a few times (will be there again in November for a conference). Like in most of Western Europe, everyone was so patient to speak English with me (and everyone knew at least a bit - often much more than that) so that I never once had a problem. Every time I am in Europe (outside of the UK that is), I feel so embarrassed that us Americans are so overwhelmingly unilingual (a matter of geography to be sure, but still)!
Well done KAP , that is correct..... see why you academic types scare me!!!!!!!! :lol!: :lol!:

Justpipes":4epcoubn said:
Welcome Filip! As you have probably already sumised, we have some mighty fine Dutch Afrikaan brothers here.

Me, I'm just a redneck from North Carolina, USA but I love everyone the world over!
You See, thats why I call JP a true Brother!!!! 3 cheers..... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! And Piet, good to see you're keeping up the tradition of pipe smoking amongst our Afrikaner broeders :)

fmw":tyt7uuep said:
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! And Piet, good to see you're keeping up the tradition of pipe smoking amongst our Afrikaner broeders :)
Leuk broer leuk :cheers:

Unilingual? If it weren't for spell check I wouldn't even be that :)

Welcome aboard Flip :)