Another Match Question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicholasDestray

Reaction score
For those of you who use matches instead of lighters, what matches do you use? If you're using some old stockpile of matches, then, hypothetically speaking, if you ran out and had to grab matches at the local store, what would you choose?

I started wondering about this after reading the Strike-Anywhere Matches thread, but since I'm changing the scope and subject of the question a bit, I thought a new thread might be in order.

I've found that the resources I consume when I smoke a pipe are, in descending order, matches, pipe cleaners, and finally tobacco. I smoked cigars before I got into pipes, and exclusively used lighters of various sorts, so I accumulated a decent-sized hoard of free matches. However, when it comes to pipes, I prefer matches, and after half a year or so of this hobby I'm finally on my last free matchbox.

The consensus on the Strike-Anywhere Matches thread, which I share, is that not all matches are made equally. What I'm really hoping to find, amid everyone's choices, is an easy-to-find brand of matches that will strike and light on the first try at least nine times out of ten, and won't break at the stem any more than one time out of fifty. I've noticed the CAO and Trinidad branded vanity matches I've been given fulfill those criteria, so I'm quite sure they're out there to be found. As long as they behave that way, whether they're strike-on-the-box or strike-anywhere, I'll be happy.

I use Diamond strike on box "kitchen" matches. I'll use a lighter every now and then - but prefer matches.

Diamond's are inexpensive and can usually be found in any supermarket.

That's good to know, both of you. After reading too many posts on the prior thread, I was starting to wonder whether matches even lit, anymore. I thought maybe the tips were replaced by little red LEDs that would blink on and off if you shook them vigorously.

Lesath, here come my "trapped in the modern world" questions. What do you use to light the spills? Candles? A fireplace? Next, what do you use for spills? I have maybe half a dozen strips of cedar that came from, I don't know, random cigar tubes. I'm afraid if I use something that looks obvious, like, say, plain white paper, I'm going to run afoul of not-so-obvious compositions that will do me in. Better for me to ask and look foolish.

Nicholas,

Candles, oil lamps, stove (I always have water going), or fire outside in the cooler weather.
As for the spills, I cut dry pine branches minus the bark up into chunks about 5-6 inches long (beard safety) and split them as I see fit, or if I'm lazy use the bandsaw. Pine works good because of the resin it contains. Then, I have vases/pots placed in strategic locations to stand them in. Also, if you have a wife that frequents craft stores, have her pick up matchsticks; they are considered a craft item and are quite economical. I think those cigar tubes will do just fine. A utility knife ought to make short work of them and they should be quite fragrant. Let us know how they work, you may have just came up with a new way to recycle them.

(speaking of trapped in the modern world) Learned something new - had no idea what a "spill" was. :oops:

Lesath":htsi1xhr said:
Nicholas,

Candles, oil lamps, stove (I always have water going), or fire outside in the cooler weather.
As for the spills, I cut dry pine branches minus the bark up into chunks about 5-6 inches long (beard safety) and split them as I see fit, or if I'm lazy use the bandsaw. Pine works good because of the resin it contains. Then, I have vases/pots placed in strategic locations to stand them in. Also, if you have a wife that frequents craft stores, have her pick up matchsticks; they are considered a craft item and are quite economical. I think those cigar tubes will do just fine. A utility knife ought to make short work of them and they should be quite fragrant. Let us know how they work, you may have just came up with a new way to recycle them.
Thanks for the tips! In my current dwelling, I'm afraid this is quite impossible, but I might well travel to a place for I can make use of your recommendations, sooner or later. (Maybe even have a fireplace too...)

As for the cigar tubes, I'm afraid I meant that the spills came as freebies in the tubes, or sometimes wrapped around the cigar. The tubes themselves are mostly glass. However, I will take your utility knife suggestion into consideration for my cedar cigar boxes...if I can bear to part with them.

As it turns out, what few spills I have are being stored in a cigar box; and yes, I agree that I should withhold the knife from any boxes that aren't already in poor condition.

I'll keep my eye out for kitchen matches, and particularly Diamonds, when I head to the store this evening.

NicholasDestray":vxwe0r2d said:
I'll keep my eye out for kitchen matches, and particularly Diamonds, when I head to the store this evening.
They are a cheap buy and a pretty good light.

I usually use Diamond kitchen matches.Sometimes I use the matches that the local B&M gives away, they are good matches but the Diamonds are a little longer.

I picked up a box of Fire Chief strike-on-box kitchen matches over the weekend, and just got a chance to try them out. So far, so good.

NicholasDestray":17zhp85y said:
I picked up a box of Fire Chief strike-on-box kitchen matches over the weekend, and just got a chance to try them out. So far, so good.
Where did you find them?