another one from Ohio

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgwilt

Reaction score
Hi all,

Tom Gwilt here. I live in the very NE corner of Ohio. If you go any further north, you'll find yourself in Lake Erie. If you go east, you will be in PA.

Just started smoking pipes in October of 2011. My wife died and I found a certain relaxation and peace while smoking. I have a very tiny collection of pipes:

2 Savinelli Leonardo da Vinci Series (Self Portrait and Light)
Tyler Lane "sail" (you can see it on Tyler's website)
Pipa Crocia Amica
Peterson Irish Whiskey
Rainer Barbi Chieftan's Highland
Hilson Unicorn
a couple of J.W. Boswell Rhodesians
a Meerschaum that I got on ebay, 25yrs old and never smoked.
another Meerschaum - straight, no chaser.
a Meerschaum on order that will be carved in the likeness of one of my favorite composers, J.S. Bach

What I'm finding is that this hobby is a black hole for my wallet!

I'm also trying as many different tobaccos as possible. I really like the Frog Morton blends and most English blends. Also like latakias.

Been busy carefully breaking in my new briars. I tend to use a match to light and savor the tobacco by "sipping" or even, moderate draws that can be tasted.

I'm discovering a passion for pipe smoking and have met some fine people - Marty Pulver, Mark from OVTC, Tyler Lane, Dan Boswell. I'm looking forward to meeting and just shooting the breeze with a lot of you.

All the best,

Tom

Welcome Tom...my heartfelt condolences on your loss, but glad you've found us. There are plenty of good folks here to help you with your new-found hobby. And you are correct, you've opened a hole in your wallet for sure!

Hiya Tom. Welcome aboard from another Ohioan.

My condolences to you as well... my mom just passed away on November 4, 2011 and it made the holidays tough.

Glad to have you here.

Hey Tom,

From another Buckeye, welcome. I'm new and don't know crap, so I am basically letting you know you should disregard anything and everything I say for at least a few years.

My deepest sympathy for your loss. May your wife's memory be eternal.

Like I have received, a most heartfelt welcome.

Jack

I've found over the last couple of months that without exception, every pipe smoker/collector is a very nice, calm person. Perhaps pipes cool out too many type A people <grin>.

I'm sure that I'll eventually meet someone that disagrees with me and my philosophy of pipe passion, but until that time....

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Tom, I'm saddened to hear of the loss of your wife, but I'm happy to see you have found our hobby and that it relaxes you. Welcome to the BoB forums! :)

Tom, welcome. 8)

Sorry to hear about you losing your wife--I'd be terribly lost without my better half keeping me on the right track and putting up with my guff. :(

As for your piping adventure, good you're trying lots of stuff with lots of pipes. Yes, it can be a money pit, especially when you can't stop looking at that one pipe that strikes your fancy. I'm with you on the Latakia, there's something deep and intriguing about its smoky ways, for sure. 8)

Well, you just joined up with the biggest-hearted and wacky Brothers on the face of the planet, so hopefully we can inform and entertain you in your journey.

Welcome, Tom.

I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am to hear of your loss. I pray that God will give you peace through this storm.

It's nice to have you here with us. Looking forward to reading your posts and getting to know you.

Jack

I join the rest of folks in offering my condolences for your loss. I'm 29 and married for only 5 years, but I couldn't imagine what you've gone through.

On a more pleasant note, hello and welcome, from yet another Ohioan. Looking at your profile, we're actually fairly close...I'm equally close to Lake Erie, but I've got about 40 miles of nursery land between myself and the PA line. Welcome, and congrats on finding a new way to spend all of your money (and then some)!

Welcome Tom, sorry for your loss as well, we are here for you no matter what....we are all family here on BoB.

Hello and Welcome to the BoB forum.

Sorry to hear about your wife.