Another Paint Can from Boston

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Grew weak.

Weaker.

Those cherished Fall images of cool, crisp walks...splitting wood for a fire...Maple leaves turning motley colors...the siren call of a fine Burley blend...the subtle bulge of a Cob and a small pouch of tobacco in your jacket pocket...

OK, I caved.

One paint can loaded with Peretti’s DD Blend is on its way. This is arguably a dead heat to Storm Front. Different animals but each one a treasure.

Hmmmm.  Peretti’s Thanksgiving Blend should be out soon too!

That sounds like me I love the fall and can wait for that crisp weather to get here. I've never ordered from Peretti before thank you for the heads up about the vendor I may place an order for some samples to see what I like.

Perhaps of interest:

1. They do an annual offering, “Thanksgiving Day” that is highly regarded. Very close to DD. Only available in the late Fall.

2. If you want recommendations...there are some definite classics there...

They are known for their expertise with Burley blends, but also do some standouts of other persuasions.  Depending on your tastes, don’t miss:

The Lucky Seven:

Blend DD
Tashkent
Oriental No. 40 (made with 100% Orientals)
Cuban Mixture (Burley, Cavendish, Cigar Leaf, Kentucky, Latakia, Maryland, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia) quite a list, eh?
Blend 500 (Cigar Leaf, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia)
Number 8 Slice

They DO have sample sets listed under ‘specials’ header, but those typically don’t have what I would consider the very best stuff.  Very good, but not the very best....IMHO.

Not to beat a dead horse on this forum but the description of the Cuban mixture sounds a little like...

WALNUT...

:D

Are they doing a Thanksgiving blend this year? If so will this be the last time?

Jim

Man, LJ Perretti have been on my radar for years.
Tashkent, Oriental No.40 and Oxford Flake have been on my must-try list for ages but being Canadian, there's a whole border, security and bureaucracy to keep me at bay.
Now I see that Oxford Flake seems to be hard to get.

Blackhorse":dmkmkfre said:
How should I know?  YOU call ‘em and ask!  lol
Hahaha.. I have called Peretti twice in my lifetime.   ;)

First call was okay, second call was a real slice of life.

Personally, I'd sign up for their email list & wait for the annual Thanksgiving Day release announcement. :p

DrumsAndBeer":5hz09kjo said:
Blackhorse":5hz09kjo said:
How should I know?  YOU call ‘em and ask!  lol
Hahaha.. I have called Peretti twice in my lifetime.   ;)

First call was okay, second call was a real slice of life.

Personally, I'd sign up for their email list & wait for the annual Thanksgiving Day release announcement. :p

Yeah. Good plan. Peretti’s is an interesting phenomenon. I understand that upon hire they put employees through a comprehensive customer service training program. Unfortunately the program was designed by WWII era Death Camp Nazis.

All this chatter about the annual Thanksgiving Blend got me all het up.  So I went out and smoked a bowl in one of my MM Freehand pipes.  Now that’s some great Burley.

Drums and Beer thinks this stuff is very very close to the Blend DD profile...the DD being a little more full and a bit sweeter and more floral on the finish. I tend to agree.

My my my. The can of DD Blend came in today.  So from Boston, Mass. to Portland, Oregon...from the 17th to the 20th...that’s delivery in three days! Holy Rocket Ships Batman! That’s amazing. I think that’s gotta be a vendor record. Not a requirement, but definitely a perk.

And the DD itself?  Popped open the paint can (I just love the paint can thing) and untwisted the heavy plastic liner bag...oh Mama...what an aroma. It reminds me of Wilke’s Nut Brown Burley. Man of man I miss that stuff. Now gone forever. Sniff, sniff.

JimInks described it well in his review:   “The deeply rich burleys are a little earthy, toasty, and very nutty with a little molasses and cocoa...I get a light vanilla hit and some floralness. A touch of anise is present to underline the taste. The toppings mildly tone down the burleys, working together to create a harmonious sweet burley flavor with an added dimension.”

DrumsAndBeer, comparing it to Peretti’s Thanksgiving Day, wrote: . “The biggest difference between the two comes in the form of Blend DD's big honey-sweet floral note on the finish, and its fuller flavor profile. It burns cool and smokes slow, producing plumes of smoke and layers of toasty, nutty, deep burley flavor. As advertised, this is a sweet blend, but it's sweet in all the right ways. The floral note is balanced perfectly with the strength of the tobacco flavor...”

Yeah, and it smells really, really wonderful too.