Another Stupid List

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vito

Charter member
Reaction score
Rolling Stone has announced their current list of the "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time".

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-guitarists-20111123

Wow. It's difficult to imagine anything more stupid.

I cast no aspersions on any of the people who made the list. Many of them have been a huge influence on me and others. Of course, I wouldn't list them in anything like the same order if I were picking those whose playing I like the best, or who have influenced me the most...or any number of other subjective criteria that actually make more sense than using the undefined criterion of "greatest"...and then putting such a thing to a friggin' vote.

A vote, fer cryin' out loud...
headba10.gif
The mind stops. That's the part that is just plain stupid. It has nothing to do with the players' skill, creativity, importance (degree of influence), tastefulness, versatility, musicianship...etc.

Anyhow, it occurred to me to ask those brethren who are guitarists—or at least musicians—to weigh in with their opinions about which guitarists are conspicuous in their absence from the list. I'm not asking who's the "greatest" or how they rank, because I think such listings are idiotic. Just say who ought to be somewhere on an unranked list of great guitarists.

I'll add a few (in no particular order) to start the ball rolling:
  • Andres Segovia
  • Tommy Emmanuel
  • Pat Metheny
  • Eric Johnson
  • Michael Hedges
  • John Jorgenson
...not that they're the only ones I would include.

:joker:

Bert Jansch
Gabor Szabo
Jim Hall
Wes Montgomery (!?!)
Danny Kirwan
Davy Graham
Roberto Baden Powell
Paco de Lucia

I'll throw a few of my fav's up on the wall.......

Django Reinhardt

Joe Pass

Ry Cooder

David Rawlings

Christopher Parkening

I'm not guitarist and I didn't know Bruce Springsteen was either. I don't care much for Rolling Stone in general, but it looks like a few of my old favorites made the top 100:
- Dick Dale
- Link Wray
- Albert Collins
- Mark Knopfler
- Buddy Guy
- Chet Atkins
- Jeff Beck

And a few newer ones:
- Tom Morello (well, new to me thru the Watchman)
- Jack White

A lot of the others were pretty predictable.

Josjor:

Good call on Django and Joe Pass.

Ry Cooder is already on the Rolling Stone list.

Vito":3s7wtn7d said:
Josjor:

Good call on Django and Joe Pass.

Ry Cooder is already on the Rolling Stone list.

meh...................I didn't bother to check the list when I posted as I usually just wrinkle my eyebrows at them and say "WTF?"
:D

riff raff:

These guys don't count (for the purposes of this thread).
- Dick Dale
- Link Wray
- Albert Collins
- Mark Knopfler
- Buddy Guy
- Chet Atkins
- Jeff Beck
- Jack White

The question is not, "Which of the guys on the list are your favorites?" The question is, "Which guitarists who are NOT on the list should be on an unranked list of great guitarists?" IOW, who is a worthy guitarist whom the list ignored?

BTW, those are some fine favorites! :cheers:

Fame and fortune aside and not that they have to, as a classical guitar teacher I would love to know how many on that list can sight read Standard Notation on the guitar.

Guy":wtb66m90 said:
Fame and fortune aside and not that they have to, as a classical guitar teacher I would love to know how many on that list can sight read Standard Notation on the guitar.
Having been in the music biz for many years (and having worked with several of the players on the list), I would bet that the majority of those on the list can't sight read. For the record, I don't think that takes anything away from their accomplishments. But it is something of a commentary that the path to fame and fortune in the music business (if that is one's goal) does not often include formal training.

Ah, my bad. I can than only add, from my rock-based list, Warren Haynes. (it appears he posted BB KIng I believe).

Vito":738ra776 said:
riff raff:

These guys don't count (for the purposes of this thread).
- Dick Dale
- Link Wray
- Albert Collins
- Mark Knopfler
- Buddy Guy
- Chet Atkins
- Jeff Beck
- Jack White

The question is not, "Which of the guys on the list are your favorites?" The question is, "Which guitarists who are NOT on the list should be on an unranked list of great guitarists?" IOW, who is a worthy guitarist whom the list ignored?

BTW, those are some fine favorites! :cheers:

Phil Keaggy. I understand his music would not make a Rolling Stones list, but the guy is a guitar magician!

Guy":qb1z3vln said:
You MUST know the old joke:

How do you make a guitarist turn down his amplifier?

Put sheet music in front of him.

As a teacher for many years, I always started out with standard notation, reading time and key signatures, etc. Tablature was only used for advanced solo transcriptions or as an aid for classical style finger positions.

Wow. Now that I've actually taken the time to look at the list, it astounds me the number of jazz and acoustic music (bluegrass/early music) players that aren't on there.

I always thought Rolling Stone was a little more open minded than that.

Josjor":oayv0ntn said:
Wow. Now that I've actually taken the time to look at the list, it astounds me the number of jazz and acoustic music (bluegrass/early music) players that aren't on there.

I always thought Rolling Stone was a little more open minded than that.
Josjor:

Ain't it the truth. Like you, I had a general impression that Rolling Stone was much more broad-minded in their focus and awareness than the list demonstrates.

I was pleased to see that Clarence White made the list. I suspect it was more for his brilliant work on the Telecaster with the B-string bender (in The Byrds...and deservedly so) than for his equally brilliant bluegrass work. And since we're talking bluegrass, Doc Watson's absence from the list is particularly shameful.

In fact, entire genres of guitarists are completely or mostly unrepresented on the list. To wit, resonator (both round neck and square neck) guitarists, such as:
  • Jerry Douglas
  • Ivan Rosenberg
  • Mike Auldridge
  • Bob Brozman
  • Rob Ickes
  • Tut Taylor
...and many more who easily qualify as great resonator players.

p.s. There are plenty of other greats I haven't mentioned. I'm not posting their names on purpose...just to see whether someone else catches them. ;)

Josjor":x7ujdyym said:
Guy":x7ujdyym said:
You MUST know the old joke:

How do you make a guitarist turn down his amplifier?

Put sheet music in front of him.

Yes I know that one!

It's a big surprice to me that John Lennon belongs to this list. I have never realized that he was a guitarist. I'm so sorry for my ignorance!!! :lol:
To be honest: this list really sucks.

nograinsnotears":rgg76e7n said:
It's a big surprice to me that John Lennon belongs to this list. I have never realized that he was a guitarist. I'm so sorry for my ignorance!!! :lol:
To be honest: this list really sucks.
:scratch: