Antique Humidor Cabinet Question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Confidence Cohen

Reaction score
Hello Brothers,

My father-in-law just passed on to me an copper-lined humidor cabinet. It has a strange humidifier on it. He told me that it contained (or once contained) whale baleen in it to keep the levels right. I was told if I were to soak this humidifier in water for a few hours, slide it back in place, and it should be good to go. I wanted to know what you guys thought of it.

Unless you guys told me otherwise, I was going to just buy a humidifier for it and keep the old one in it for cosmetic reasons. Let me know what you think.

Sorry for the crappy pictures. Taken with a phone.

humidor.jpg

humidifier.jpg

It certainly is interesting...I don't understand how the humidity levels would stay constant, seeing as copper wouldn't absorb moisture. Plus, would it impart any of that metallic smell to your cigars?

Certainly is a neat bit of memorabilia, and if it works for ya, all the power to you.

I typically would keep them in boxes within the cabinet. Just to keep a barrier between the cigars and the copper. I have heard about the metallic taste that can come with copper lined humidors, but I have yet to taste it.