Any 1911 fans?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zjgilbert":hdkccg3k said:
... Luckily I've yet to be thrown around my any gun I've fired...
Mine was while sighting in a rifled-barrel 12ga with a 4X scope. (typical deer-hunting rig in my neck of the woods) Recoil from the bench is quite a bit different from a shouldered gun. :p

I guess following this back, yeah, I like 1911s. Never owned one, but Kimber makes some models that really felt good to me.

Flingin' .45 ACP always seemed easier for me than the 9mm, but I like 'em both for different reasons. I just don't like having to stockpile two dozen different calibers, with all the rifles and whatnot--space is at a premium. :lol: So, for now, .45 is it.

I hear Taurus puts out a few good 1911/A clones that guys I know have raved about, and I know I like my Taurus Judge (my field gun). *shrug*

8)

Kyle Weiss":yllkv7vk said:
I guess following this back, yeah, I like 1911s. Never owned one, but Kimber makes some models that really felt good to me.

Flingin' .45 ACP always seemed easier for me than the 9mm, but I like 'em both for different reasons. I just don't like having to stockpile two dozen different calibers, with all the rifles and whatnot--space is at a premium. :lol: So, for now, .45 is it.

I hear Taurus puts out a few good 1911/A clones that guys I know have raved about, and I know I like my Taurus Judge (my field gun). *shrug*

8)
I've heard those Taurus 1911's are pretty nice as well. I've thought about picking one up at some point, but just can't get myself to do it since I already have a 1911. I've been curious about pickin up a judge as well. How's the accuracy with the .45lc?

These are mine. Top is a taurus, middle is a colt bottom is a star 380 in 1911 configuration shrunk

100_0196.jpg

plumber: those are awesome! I have always liked that .380 in a 1911 shape...Star is an interesting manufacturer...really good piece for the dough! :cheers:

Z-bert: Well, like pipes, often it's hard to stay away from a configuration you like. You go with what fits.

To even use the word "accuracy" in combination with a Taurus Judge is almost laughable... :) .45LC (...or "45 Colt" as I guess they're being called now...) is a solid round. I'm good to about 40 - 50 feet, but beyond that it really has a lot of scatter and drop. Any wind or wiggly grip and you're all over the effing place--and for that, some good 00 buck in .410 would probably be as accurate in a "tense situation" and you'd get a few more chances per shot. I've gotten pretty used to it, though, I tend to relax more with a larger caliber--not sure why. My father's .38 special I can't shoot worth a crap.

8)

If i got one for personal carry I was thinking of shooting 3 45 and 2 00 or more likely pdx1 shots. 40-50 feet is really about the average range you would engage a target, so it sounds like it would work hust fine.

zjgilbert":46bjnt9l said:
If i got one for personal carry I was thinking of shooting 3 45 and 2 00 or more likely pdx1 shots. 40-50 feet is really about the average range you would engage a target, so it sounds like it would work hust fine.
Well, concealed carry with a Judge is tricky. I open-carry when I'm working (field geo-tech; I'm not a lawman) because it just wears better on an outer belt. If you're a big dude wearing lotsa clothing, sure--fair game. That's kind of why one of those Kimber 1911 ultra-compacts interest me so dang much. As far as a face-to-face situation, though, the Judge will take care of any ne'er-do-wells.

It's all about what tool you need for what job. The cool thing about the Judge is I usually load two chambers for 4-shot in .410 and three with 45LC wadcutters (or 00 buck). That way, both kinds of snakes are dealt with. *shrug*

8)

Ocelot55":az267q13 said:
I've bopped myself in the forehead with a pistol grip 12 gauge shotgun. In my defense, I was in the back of a moving pickup roaring across the pasture.
You would like North Idaho....

asmoke":j30ynz3t said:
Ocelot55":j30ynz3t said:
I've bopped myself in the forehead with a pistol grip 12 gauge shotgun. In my defense, I was in the back of a moving pickup roaring across the pasture.
:lol: So I don't get any sympathy for getting rifle brass in my face hanging out of a moving car's window and shooting highway signs? :lol:

Kyle Weiss":aztnsa3x said:
asmoke":aztnsa3x said:
Ocelot55":aztnsa3x said:
:lol: So I don't get any sympathy for getting rifle brass in my face hanging out of a moving car's window and shooting highway signs? :lol:
I take it there is a lot of space in Idaho :D

Ha! I've had a similar experience, Kyle. Not very pleasant. One of my buds was trying to shoot a rabbit with his 1911 while driving our old jeep. I got a blazing hot shell casing down the back of my collar. I tuck in my shirt tails so it had nowhere to go. My friend said I did one hell of a dance.

Kyle Weiss":cswrgy2a said:
asmoke":cswrgy2a said:
Ocelot55":cswrgy2a said:
I don't know about sympathy, but definitely points :)

I am a huge fan of the 1911. My everyday carry is a 4" Kimber but when competing its my full size Kimber custom eclipse II. If your choice is a combate handgun, I sway to the S&W M&P.... built off a glock design, they are well balanced and handle and operate amazingly well!!

The 380 is a fun round to shoot.... I have a Bursa Thunder that is very simular to the PPK

michaelx64":kxlp3f7a said:
The 380 is a fun round to shoot.... I have a Bursa Thunder that is very simular to the PPK
I had one of those. It was a nice little .380... I just traded it at a gun show for something I needed more.

I own an Auto Ordnance 1911 that was made after the comeback under new management. As long as I keep it properly lubed it will fire all day long without so much as a burp. It dearly loves oil.

When I carry it is almost always a 1911

I have 3 45's.

A Kimber Combat Carry, Colt Officer's Model and a Caspian put together by Clark's Custom Guns. Not a race gun but it's tweaked a little.

I'm a big guy. 6'5" 250 lbs. Any 45 hides easy on me.

Always a fan of the .45. My current carry weapon is a Sig Revolution Carry. Many thousands of rounds thru it and never a glitch (knock on wood).

I was thinking about getting one for a long time.
Recently, I had my eye on the Ruger SR1911.
But then I changed my mind and decided to get a Glock 21.