Any Brothers use or enjoy vintage shotguns?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idlefellow

Reaction score
A.H. Fox A grade, 16ga, c. 1923...

006_zps90125140.jpg

Parker SC Single Barrel Trap, from 1926...

005_zps7a287c15.jpg

Edit: dates updated after checking my records.

Use to have a side by side from the 1800's 12ga. with hammers and Damascus barrels.
Don't remember the brand name now but, it was a sweet gun but, I got rid of it a couple
of years ago cause it was just a pain to get reloads for, besides I can't shoulder a large caliber
rifle nowadays cause of my back anyway.
That's some sweet ones you got there for sure and love the graphics on the old shell boxes. ;)

Fox shotguns were made not too far from me at one time and the L.C.Smith factory was a hop skip and jump from here. There's lots of these fine doubles in the area but nobody is willing to part with them. I've been trying for years to find a 20 gauge Smith even at an unreasonable price but they're like gold. Enjoy yours.

I have my father's 1943 Winchester model 12 shotgun that I had cleaned this year, it hadn't been shot since 1965

I have 2 Parker SxS's both 12 gauge, one a DH from 1903 the other a PH from 1923.
banjo

I quail hunt with a LC Smith field grade, 16 gauge made in 1934. Not as beautiful as the OP's shotgun but quite functional. I love SxSs with double triggers.

i have an early 1910 sterlingworth that was my great grandads. its a fun gun to shoot. i take it trap shooting at least once a year.
DSC00479.jpg

Nice shotgun !

Really love side by side but only got a semi-automatic for goose and duck hunt.

Huge fan of the vintage shotguns. For me it's just not a real shotgun if it doesn't have mule ears on it. That said I won't get any that are as nice as the ones posted. I'm really hard on guns and anything that nice would have to stay locked up for me to own it. Been through quite a few of the old workhorse shotguns. It's also pretty much the only way to get a 16ga anymore.

Jim

Need to know, do you only consider s by s dbl barrel shotguns as "Vintage" or do older pumps work as well ? I have two Model 12s, my father's 1948 duck gun , 30 " full choke barrel and a 1946 field model with a 26" IC barrel. They are pretty vintage to me !! :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":64w1qvgv said:
Need to know, do you only consider s by s dbl barrel shotguns as "Vintage" or do older pumps work as well ? I have two Model 12s, my father's 1948 duck gun , 30 " full choke barrel and a 1946 field model with a 26" IC barrel. They are pretty vintage to me !! :twisted: :twisted:
They definitely qualify as far as I'm concerned; the Model 12 is an American classic for sure :cheers: !

Jumping in a bit late on this thread but Yes. I am a shooter/collector of small gauge doubles. Ansley Fox Sterlingworth 20 bore, LC Smith 20 bore and others. I do not have any so called high grade guns, more field grade and utilitarian doubles that I use for upland bird hunting. And I partake in plenty of skeet/5 stand shooting with more recently made small gauge doubles. 28 gauge is my favorite to play with.

Younger days had a German side by side double, a "Falk". Three number serial, hammers, "fluid steel" barrel. English style wood (meaning not much wood at all), 16 gauge. Gun might have weighed 5 pounds. It was a magic wand when it came to partridge shooting (g). One of younger brothers put in 410 tubes because the barrel had become so pitted. Bought the wife a Stoeger (sp?) today, 20 gauge over and under. Seems awful muzzle heavy to me, but she's happy..

docwatson":yyq4xgzv said:
Jumping in a bit late on this thread but Yes. I am a shooter/collector of small gauge doubles. Ansley Fox Sterlingworth 20 bore, LC Smith 20 bore and others. I do not have any so called high grade guns, more field grade and utilitarian doubles that I use for upland bird hunting. And I partake in plenty of skeet/5 stand shooting with more recently made small gauge doubles. 28 gauge is my favorite to play with.
Sterlingworths are great guns and used to be one of the best bargains in vintage double guns; however, the word has gotten out.  I have them in 20, 16 and 12 gauge...

IMG_0556.jpg