Any Burley Perique suggestions?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stapf

Reaction score
The VaPer thread got me thinking. Are there any good Burley Perique blends? Especially ones heavy on Perique? It can have othe condiment tobaccos, even latakia as long as it has the nutty burley flavor and the spice of Perique forward in its charecter.

My favorite is Weybridge from 4 Noggins. It's got a decent amount of Perique.

Haunted Bookshop I really enjoyed at first--C&D's musty, earthy burleys are top notch--though I found myself getting a bit bored with it by the end of the one tin I smoked. You might try Old Joe Krantz, which I understand to be similar (got a tin in the closet but haven't tried it yet).

All of these also have a Virginia component BTW.

Have you tried the Tobacco Locator at SmokingPipes.com? A search for blends with burley and Perique yields 92 results that might be worth a look.

There are a few pretty popular BurPers out there there, although most of the ones I'm familiar with still contain at least some VA. Off hand, the Burley-forward plus Perique blends I've had (and enjoy) would include:

C&D Old Joe Krantz
C&D Haunted Bookshop (basically OJK-light)
GLP Barbary Coast (noticeable VA, though)
McC Grey Havens (a personal favorite, but I think I'm in the minority)

I tried the tobacco locator and found Motford Point Marine which looks interesting. Only 3 list if you exclude VA's and one of those actually has VA. I don't have a problem with VA's, but I was looking for more spice/nut than sweet which is what I think of with Virginias. Was wanting something different than my sweet spicy Kajun Kake style.

Old Joe Krantz looks like it diserves a try. Night train also looks interesting. I'm a sucker for a cake. Has anyone tried that one?

I may pick up blending components and try a straight burley Perique. I'd read someplace that no one had ever made a good one and the talk of burpers on the vaper thread made me think there were some straight ones out there that I hadn't found. At least doing it myself I'll find out if my tastes are different and it is good to me or why it doesn't work and most blenders add VA's to the mix.

Keep in mind that just because VA is in a BurPer blend, you won't necessarily pick up on a lot of VAs. Most of these blends will be that spicy/nutty that you're looking for...the VA in these cases don't necessarily add a ton of their own nature to the blend, they just sort of give the Burley a platform to stand on (oddly, the reverse is often true - using a bit of burley often helps push the VAs forward).

I'm sure actual blenders will come along to tell you just how wrong I am, but in my mind it's a bit like salting food as you cook - used sparingly it's not so much about making the food taste saltier, it's about making it taste more like itself, helping to bring the flavors of all of the other ingredients.

stapf":ps194whh said:
I tried the tobacco locator and found Motford Point Marine which looks interesting.  Only 3 list if you exclude VA's and one of those actually has VA.  I don't have a problem with VA's, but I was looking for more spice/nut than sweet which is what I think of with Virginias.  Was wanting something different than my sweet spicy Kajun Kake style.  

Old Joe Krantz looks like it diserves a try.  Night train also looks interesting.  I'm a sucker for a cake.  Has anyone tried that one?

I may pick up blending components and try a straight burley Perique.  I'd read someplace that no one had ever made a good one and the talk of burpers on the vaper thread made me think there were some straight ones out there that I hadn't found.  At least doing it myself I'll find out if my tastes are different and it is good to me or why it doesn't work and most blenders add VA's to the mix.
OJK is nice but, it's a strong, full bodied tobacco. I can't smoke it every day.

The very best burley I've smoked so far is The Mellow Monk by Just for Him. Wee bit of latakia in there but no perique. For me it's not a problem because I always have some perique in stock. So, if I feel it needs to be spiced up, I do so myself.

I love Haunted Bookshop, and the Night Train that you mentioned is on my "to buy" list for my next order. I have not tried OJK, though at some point I may, I'm just pretty happy with the makeup of Haunted Bookshop right now and don't think I want anything bolder in that department.

stapf":dt0cbekz said:
Night train also looks interesting.  I'm a sucker for a cake.  Has anyone tried that one?
D'oh! I can't believe I forgot to mention Night Train. One of my favorite C&D blends. Yes, by all means try it.

Cornell Diehl 3 Friars, reminds me of Esoterica Tilbury in a way.
Tilbury is also good but is a burley Va. ;)

Cartaphilus":l1t9q55b said:
Cornell Diehl 3 Friars, reminds me of Esoterica Tilbury in a way.
Tilbury is also good. ;)  
I have a tin of Three Friars that I'm champing at the bit to get to, but I'm working my way through a tin of Three Nuns first... which I love.

Glen Quelch makes something called BurPer Kake. Sounds like what you're looking for, but is expensive.

Take a look at C&D's Burley Flake #3. It is a blend of burley's with a bit of Virginia and Perique. It contains the Nutty aspect you are looking for with a little fruit from the Virginia and Perique at least to my tastes.