Any Chess players?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JASmith

Reaction score
Hey Folks,
Any one else like/love the game of chess?
I've recently decided to make the effort to improve my game after fiddling around on the board for a long time...Sent away for a program called Chess Mentor, and signed up to play online.
I really enjoy slowing down and taking a look at what is and isn't going on, and then attempting to come up with solutions based on what I see...
Great game to play while smoking a pipe; it's almost tailor-made for it.
How about all of you?
Take Care,
Jason

Hello, Jason. I really enjoy playing, though I'm not very good. I do know the rules though and am always up for a slow game as well.

And Yes, playing Chess goes perfectly well with pipe smoking.

I love chess! Always have. Unfortunately, I do not know anyone who plays anymore so I am forced to do all my chess playing online... But I can smoke while I play so I'm fine with it :)

Just recently I've been reading up on different opening strategies and the theory behind them... VERY interesting

Absolutely love it, although I have a hard time thinking three moves ahead.

It's a great game to teach anyone to stop and think, and to never make knee jerk reactions during the game, as well as in life.

s.ireland":ygzbiiw0 said:
I love chess! Always have. Unfortunately, I do not know anyone who plays anymore so I am forced to do all my chess playing online... But I can smoke while I play so I'm fine with it :)

Just recently I've been reading up on different opening strategies and the theory behind them... VERY interesting
Opening strategies are extremely interesting.
I'm just shocked at the level of complexity that the grandmasters think at.
I cannot fathom how these people play blitz games.

Played all the time when I was younger, then gradually lost opponents so it fell off. Just recently took up interest, have been playing vs the computer and watching the YouTube vids to brush up on openings, etc. Since my wife passed away last month have been looking for reasons to get out of the house and the local chess club is one that I am exploring.

Still pretty rusty but always up for a game online.

I used to play in highshool. Dabbled for a short time while I was in college. Recently became interested again, installed and played against the chess program my wife picked up but I found " chinks in its armor" :D which ruined it for me.
I always played by the seat of my pants and the planned strategies (following a format) never appealed to me,,,but I'm weird like that.

Hunter5117":knoljoy1 said:
Played all the time when I was younger, then gradually lost opponents so it fell off. Just recently took up interest, have been playing vs the computer and watching the YouTube vids to brush up on openings, etc. Since my wife passed away last month have been looking for reasons to get out of the house and the local chess club is one that I am exploring.

Still pretty rusty but always up for a game online.
Hey, Hunter,

What site do you use to play online? I'm up for a match! I've grown tired of playin the computer so lately I have been using a "chess for the iPhone" application but you wait around for the other guy to make his move sometimes for hours... It'd be fun to play an actual match :)

I'm with you on that iPhone app, I gave up on it too.

I don't know which one is the best but chess.com does offer online chess. Let me know, I would be very happy to play a game some time, evenings are the best for me.

The other option for you guys might be correspondence chess. Emailing moves back and forth is still popular, but back in the old days it was done through the mail. Of course PM's would work for this here on the forum or a dedicated thread between 2 members posting their moves.

Just an idea...

Nope, hate chess. I suck at it. I'm either too stupid, scattered or out-of-touch with other humans' psychology to figure that game out. Friends of mine are quite good, and always got a good laugh out of getting me with the "Fool's Mate," which I guess is designed to sucker idiots into losing in three moves. To their delight, it always seems to work. Which is why I'm a good friend, always there to support their esteem issues. :lol:

8)

I am on chess.com, if anyone else wants to catch up with me there, I'll give you my handle to request a game. Also would be more than happy to play correspondence chess over email or pm.

I just signed up at chess.com if someone wants to play. name is billmess

Bill

I'm a chess player. I get together semi-regularly with another guy from church for the express purpose of smoking pipes and playing a few games.

I'm not very good, but I do enjoy it.

I haven't played in a loooong time but would be up for a game sometime.

billmess":r6gclps9 said:
I just signed up at chess.com if someone wants to play. name is billmess

Bill
I looked around for you on the site, and couldn't find you.. :?: