Any cigar suggestions?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friar_jay

Reaction score
I've been a pipe tobacco smoker for years. That said, I decided to try a cigar the other night... I should have known that much like pipe tobacco they're all not created equal. I had a Montecristo Cabinet Selección. Apparently it's a full body, full flavor, Medium to Full strength smoke. Well, I turned green... got the horrible "nicotine sickness"... dizziness, upset stomach, etc.

In case you're wondering why I chose a Montecristo Cabinet Selección stick as my first one... well, my wife enjoys cigars and she goes full strength. God bless her...

All that said, any suggestions for a mild to medium entry level cigar?

Well, based on your pipe tobaccos, you might enjoy some Acid cigars. They are a bit aromatic. Start with "Blondie" as it is a shorter smoke - a good intro.

Otherwise, Macanudo is gentle. So is Helix. And many more as the next posts will demonstrate.

Mild to medium strength is normally what I reach for in a cigar. Some additional choices off the top of my head are:

5 Vegas Gold
A. Fuente Hemingway
Gurkha Park Avenue
HdM Excalibur
Oliva Serie G
Perdomo 10th Anniv. Champagne or Lot 23 Connecticut
Rocky Patel Connecticut

That said, your nicotine absorption rate and tolerance is going to be slightly different than everyone else. Try eating before lighting up and keep a sweet drink handy.

If you PM me your address , I'll get a small sampler out to you.

Fazby":dhufraar said:
Well, based on your pipe tobaccos, you might enjoy some Acid cigars.  They are a bit aromatic.  Start with "Blondie" as it is a shorter smoke - a good intro.

Otherwise, Macanudo is gentle.  So is Helix.  And many more as the next posts will demonstrate.
Macanudo... alright, a friend actually suggested that to me. Thanks for the suggestions.

tslots":dhufraar said:
That said, your nicotine absorption rate and tolerance is going to be slightly different than everyone else.  Try eating before lighting up and keep a sweet drink handy.

If you PM me your address , I'll get a small sampler out to you.
That was one of my mistakes... lighting up on an empty stomach and not having anything to drink handy. Thanks for the offer, I'll shoot you a PM.

Eating before is a must for me on a cigar. as is the sweet drink, the previous poster nailed it. When I burn a stick, I usually do it after lunch on a weekend, and drink a Dr. Pepper of all things along with it. As with pipe smoking taking your time is a must as well. I will spend upwards of an hour and a quarter on a 5x50 size. If you are social, smoke one while you bullshit with friends, that will slow you down and improve enjoyment. Also, if you are a retrohaler, which I am when pipe smoking, DO NOT carry this habit over to the cigar arm of things, I had to learn this the hard way. For me at least, the flavor of a cigar comes from the mouth, much moreso than it does the nose. As for selection, the one that I would recommend, Cain Daytona, in the 5x50 size. That stick is fantastic, pretty light, nothing too crazy, and won't woop your @ZZ.

Don Diego corona. Sip it. I don't think that one will give you nicotine overload. FWIW, I love to retrohale cigars. But just a little bit.

Mr. Burley,

All I can say about that is, you are more man than I. Every time I tried it, near instant regret

Thanks for the continued suggestions gang. I've really been enjoying cigars the past few months.

NAJ_ile":ev177wf8 said:
Mr. Burley,

All I can say about that is, you are more man than I.  Every time I tried it, near instant regret
Just a little bit. A last-of-the-puff dribble. I don't believe I would be a smoker if I couldn't do this, as most of my enjoyment is olfactory. I never smoke with a head cold, for example.

Jay, if you are sometimes nicotine sensitive, it is a good idea to keep some candy close by, to get some sugar into your blood stream quickly. Hard candy like Jolly Ranchers work great, because they don't need any digestion time.

As for recommending a particular cigar to avoid the sweats, there are too many variables to cure the condition that route. You just need to try different brands and specific sticks to find out which ones you are sensitive to.

If you want to get classy ask the clerk for one of the milder AVO lines. Exceptionally well made cigars, imo. A lot of their LE runs are outstanding cigars that aren't overly strong but perhaps a classic line to start for you.

juanmedusa":fu9ugri4 said:
If you want to get classy ask the clerk for one of the milder AVO lines. Exceptionally well made cigars, imo. A lot of their LE runs are outstanding cigars that aren't overly strong but perhaps a classic line to start for you.
I'll remember that, thanks.

If you look for the Mild to Medium stuff, the best out there is "Romeo Y Julieta". OK, it's actually mild, but it's one of the best Cuban cigars I've smoked.
I'm not sure about the embargo though, a lot of folks order successfully from Canada, I guess there is a way.

Once you go Cuban, you'll never go back.

I can vouch for 5 Vegas Gold. I had one last night and as someone who has been smoking Royal Yacht, it was a very smooth, long, mellow smoke.

Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 is a great cigar, mild to medium that displays a surprising range of flavours. One of my favorites milder cigars. :D

Rocky Patel 1999 CT
Rocky Patel 1990 and 1992 a little heady but they're sooo good.
Fonseca Vintage
Romeo y Juilet Vintage

You see a trend here? Well aged, well aged. Makes a world of different and usual knocks the nicotine down.

Also, though expensive and listed as Full strength Ashton VSG is full flavor but is really smooth, i finger burned one and didn't get a nicotine rush.

Definately at least a little carb loaded snack before smoking helps to tolerate nicotine. I definately find if I'm getting knocked around by vitamin N a little sugar helps take the edge off. A Cliff Bar fixed me right up a couple days ago when, not only had it been a month since my last smoke, i smoked 2 churchills down to nubs. My head was swimmin'.