Any Cord Cutters?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_In_Philly

Reaction score
Comcast is offering a deal that gives just internet service along with a subscription to HBO Go for $50/month, so I just signed up and will be ditching my $200 Fios bill very shortly. We really don't watch much TV anymore.

I have a Roku for Netflix, Amazon, and MLB, and a Chromecast for HBO and a few other things that the Roku can't do.

I am genuinely excited about this. For the first time in a long time I will have to actively think about what I want to watch at night, rather than mindlessly surfing.

Anyone else take the plunge yet?

Not yet but we're talking about it. Ironically Comcast IS the cable company taking me for huge amounts every month that I want to get away from.

Apart from the financial aspect, I have a quiet yearning to cut off everything and simplify life. To be more Zen.

But the security blanket of live sports, TCM, and news/business channels is powerful.
I'm not strong enough to resist.
:pale:

Everyone complains about cable/internet rates, but I've always been fairly happy with mine. Around these parts it's Time-Warner. AWFUL customer service, but generally speaking I'm alright with what I pay for what I get.

Then again, maybe that's my mortal fear of change speaking. :|

Ian, you raise a good point. For a long time I was perfectly happy with cable, I just didn't watch much of it. What really lit the fire under me was when Verizon started throttling Netflix. I was paying $200/ month for every channel under the sun and they saw fit to deliberately deprive me of access to a service I had paid for (bandwidth) for the sake of squeezing a few bucks out of Netflix. That really grated on me.

I had Comcast before Fios and I was perfectly happy, but I switched to Verizon when my last Comcast promotion ran out and they wouldn't offer me a new deal. I would have stayed with Comcast, but the same service was cheaper with Verizon so I switched. I have no loyalty to either provider and will continue to go with the one that provides me with the best deal.

I am fortunate to be at a place in my life where the cost of cable is no longer a significant part of my budget, and getting back these extra $150/month won't make an impact on my monthly finances. But the fact that I was paying a lot of money for something I didn't really use, only to find that they were then depriving me of something I wanted to use, just tipped me over the edge.

I haven't had cable in 3 years. It was too much of a cost for us back then. We just have netflix and amazon now with our tablets, xbox 360, Wii, and laptops. We hardly watch anything anymore other than movies that we rent... Maybe once a month.

I have Suddenlink, and I haven't had cable ever since I left the dorms(before I graduated) and after. I pay for 50mB internet, and I have Amazon Prime, HBO Go, Netflix and Hulu Plus. I couldn't be happier with those, and I use my Chromecast for everything but Prime, which I use my Xbox to.

I hardly even use these, but I can definitely justify the costs of them versus cable and internet.

I have TWC for both TV and Internet and all is well..  I also have Amazon Prime and XM internet (love my MlB) I have no problems watching the Prime movies and TV series that I missed.  This winter I plan to watch 24 from the first show to the last.  I pay around $130 a month to TWC and $99 a year to Amazon which alos include 2 days shipping.  I'm happy.

I have Comcast and pay just south of $20/mo for their most basic cable package. As I watch so little TV these days it's all I need for the local news and weather, and occasional PBS or Discovery channels. That's all I really need, and still offers about 70-something channels that are totally worthless IMO.

I can't get the History channel as I used to like that one but it's not on the basic package, and any upgrade would likely quintuple the cost. So nuts on that!

Don't care about netflix or sports so that's not on either. Never understood why one can't pick and choose the channels one is interested in. The packages they offer are mostly a waste.

Cheers,

RR

I'm using Comcast for internet only, still it costs me about $70 a month when they get done figuring in all of the taxes and stuff. I really resent paying it each month, but I guess I am a bit of a tightwad. :lol:

For television, I just use my Roku for Netflix. Not a whole lot on there either, except for some decent documentaries from time to time... I did get involved with the series Breaking Bad and had to stay glued until I got to the end of it. I'm avoiding finding any more series like that. Too time consuming, I didn't get hardly anything else done until I finished it. lol

I basically have Comcast just so I can watch Game of Thrones every spring... What an expense for 2 months of television! However, I do enjoy other programs as well, but could live without. These shows are: Brewdogs, Outlander, HGtv, some basic television programming and of course my Steelers, Penguins, and Pirates!

I commend you for cutting the ties!

Used Roku for awhile. Transitioned to the Amazon Fire box when it came out. Screw Time Warner.

Richard Burley":ks4695j3 said:
Ain't got no TV at all. There's too many time-sucks in my life as it is.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Going on 2 years and no TV.  Internet for news and Netflix for movies.  

Time to enjoy LIFE not TV.

Hey PB, how do you like the Fire over the Roku? I was thinking about picking one up for the bedroom (the wife often hides up there when I watch Football). Its about twice the price of the Roku, but it will let me watch everything I want one device.

Brewdude, If you haven't watched the History Channel in a few years, you aren't missing anything. It has gone the way of TLC, no more History just quasi-realty TV. Smithsonian channel was great, though, I will definitely miss that one.

Bullwinkle":edzzjlr4 said:
I have TWC for both TV and Internet and all is well..  I also have Amazon Prime and XM internet (love my MlB) I have no problems watching the Prime movies and TV series that I missed.  This winter I plan to watch 24 from the first show to the last.  I pay around $130 a month to TWC and $99 a year to Amazon which alos include 2 days shipping.  I'm happy.
I have Amazon Prime, but I also have Netflix. I prefer Netflix for streaming/selection, and it's not very expensive so I dont' worry about the duplication of services - after all, Prime more than pays for itself with the shipping it covers (which is why I signed up for it).

Dave. If you have Amazon Prime get it... If you don't, stick with Roku.  

The Amazon remote is way to easy to lose.
Not as many options as Roku as far as stations go (wether you call them apps or channels.) but all the important stuff is there.
Amazon does have a nicer interface.

I bought the Amazon box when it was $100.  I bought the Roku 3 when it was $100.  For $100 Amazon wins. If Roku 3 (or better) is $50 Roku wins.

My wife must have Directv for the Cooking Channel & Food Network. The internet is mine for Minecraft & League of Legends.

Now if we could just get fiber internet!

Haven't had cable since I moved out of my parents house in 09. Only internet and roku since me and my wife got our own place. It's funny my kid doesn't like commercials at all. We visit people and he'll is watching cartoons then a commercial comes on. He asks us to start the next episode of the show. He doesn't understand that he can't select exactly what to watch on cable and there are interruptions every few minutes. :twisted:

i.keenum":clid7fan said:
Haven't had cable since I moved out of my parents house in 09. Only internet and roku since me and my wife got our own place. It's funny my kid doesn't like commercials at all. We visit people and he'll is watching cartoons then a commercial comes on. He asks us to start the next episode of the show. He doesn't understand that he can't select exactly what to watch on cable and there are interruptions every few minutes. :twisted:
That's funny. We still don't really let my son watch much TV. I bring him to MLS games so I thought I would let him watch a little of the World Cup and he loved it. Now I started letting him watch a little football and he keeps asking me "daddy where'd the football go, put it back" each time there is commercial.