Any Experiences with Amphora, Either Pipes and/or Taback?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2386
  • Start date
Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
klause":bh9im2n8 said:
Oooh, shiny--will keep an eye on it, but yeah, the smooth finish may be the way to go, methinks. Limited space and finances helps keep my PAD under check, and there's a new Peterson coming out this Fall I'm saving up for, but yeah, I dunno how long I'll be able to resist. Such a cool shape.

And hey, nicely done on the acquisitions--both look handsomely weathered! I live fairly close to a really nice Edward's B&M, though I've never picked up one of their house briars.

Yak":396bw8d0 said:
The tobacco would have been a like-it-or-not matter back when it was made. I didn't, but a lot of people apparently did, because they made/sold it by the ton.

Old private labeled pipes ("Amphora" being one of hundreds) offer (after some refurbishing and possibly de-toxing) a ridiculously appealing combination of low price with potential high smoking quality.

There were not that many manufacturers back then -- Amphora or DE certainly didn't make pipes. They bought them in quantity from manufacturers who made them to specs and stamped them with (in this case) "Amphora." (Or, "Veeblefeetzer's Pipe Shop" or "American Pride" or whatever).

Because there's essentially NO "collector value" the names on them, you're buying well-aged briar and engineering (generally pretty decent, if improvable). The bottom line of which is, while you'll make some mistakes buying them "raw" (uncleaned) on Flea Bay, they'll be inexpensive mistakes that will be more than made up-for by the ones you buy and keep. You can afford to have these brought up to snuff by somebody competent like Dr. Dave, because the pipe itself was dirt cheap. The smoking/taste quality of the keepers will far out-perform what would be available new @ even $100 or so.

My two cents' worth

:face:
Thanks, Yak! I'd deduced they farmed out the pipe-making rather than doing it in house, especially as some of the old DE's are stamped Made in Denmark instead of Made in Holland! I've had some moderate success cleaning up battered old briars, but in terms of "de-toxing" them, are you just referring to sanitizing the stem and bowl of any potential nastiness? I go to town on'em with everclear, and a salt solution for the bowl, but do you think that's insufficient? Much appreciate the wisdom of my elders/betters!

And I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for a Veeblefeetzer's Pipe Shop piece!

It depends. Some ghosts give up and leave with salt & alcohol.

Others laugh at it and require ozone treatment (in the USA, Walker Briar Works).

Yak":ilr3klrw said:
It depends. Some ghosts give up and leave with salt & alcohol.

Others laugh at it and require ozone treatment (in the USA, Walker Briar Works).

Ah, yes--I had a briar I gave away rather than calling in an exorcist, but next time around I'll call in the Walker professionals:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/g4uxIo4t7xM" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>