Any Good B&M stores on Long Island (New York)?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wintermute

Reaction score
I've been on a search for good B&M stores on Long Island. The only two that I've found that stand out from your typical tobacco shop (cigarettes, lotto, maybe some cigars) are in Smithtown (on Main Street) and Sayville (on the Sunrise Highway service road). The first has a large selection of Peterson pipes, and a respectable selection of tinned tobacco, although they are quite haphazard and seem to change each time you go it. The second actually had some Butz Choquin pipes for a while, but no longer, and they have a decent, somewhat stable, selection of Mac Baren tins. My sights aren't set very high at this point, but does anyone know of any decent tobacconists (preferably in Nassau Co.) that have a decent selection of pipe tobacco (and pipes)? Thanks.

Wintermute: I'm a fellow Long Island man from Setauket. I don't believe that we have any locations that would rate as a good pipe shop. I've visited the B&M in Smithtown as well as Jim's in Mt. Sinai and they both leave much to be desired. The very best locations in New York State IMHO are up North between Albany and Queensbury. Most recently I've visited Cup-O-Joe's in Queensbury. If you are ever upstate, make it a stop.

Dont forget you are driving right by Park Lane Tobacconist on the way to Cup-O-Joes. They have a better tin and blend stock than the impressive selection at Cup-o-Joes. CigarsandPipes is also in Albany, also easily accessed off I-87 and I-90.
I work in Secaucus a lot and don't know of any B&M shops in that area either. I guess NY taxes limits those type of establishments?

riff raff":4g7rjj04 said:
I guess NY taxes limits those type of establishments?
I think it's more a case that the NYC is very cigar-centric. More of a sign of wealth and power than a lowly pipe. You can't throw a stone around these parts without hitting a decent cigar shop. You'd figure that between the high NY tobacco taxes and the poor economy that more tobacco addi[ahem] conisseurs would be switching over to pipes.

Marty, you shook some cobwebs loose. The shop in Sayville (actually Patchogue) that I refered to is Jim's sister shop.

Wintermute: Jim's in Holbrook (South Service Road/Sunrise Highway) is a sad excuse. I've stopped there. If you are ever in Manhattan you might try Baclay Rex. Barclay's was originally a pipe shop with many house blends one being Maiden Lane that you might like. I visited the shop on Lexington Ave at 53rd St. Unfortunately, here on Long Island there are no recommendations. I tend to purchase my tobacco directly from Jack Peterson at Sterling Tobacco Co., Cornell & Diehl, and Smoking Pipes. I've also purchased from Mike Rutt (MAR's Cigars online), Just for Him, as well as from Rich Gottlieb (4 Noggins) and Pipework's & Wilke both in Vermont. I think many men will agree that pipesmokers tend to view the entire country as a "vendor location" rather than just the local B&M. As a matter of fact I would suspect that the New York suppliers would list the majority of their customers as being out of state. FedEx and UPS bring the B&M's to our doorstep.