Any Ideas & Help Welcomed

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05Venturer

Reaction score
I got this pipe a few months back and started working cleaning it up and such then it just sat in the drawer. I pulled it out tonight while having a smoke and thought it would be a good little project while I am smoking in my den this winter.
First off has anyone got any ideas on what it may be?
Secondly, I have never "restored" a pipe and have no idea what to use to clean it up and I expect I should get a new stem as this one is cracked. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
6785ACD3-8317-442B-933B-5105ED2240A9_zpshlqeiaqj.jpg

35A93738-17B6-4051-8162-463F0ABE726C_zps3ja7rwth.jpg

69E917FF-42CA-4B3D-A405-6F9A1DCE015C_zps1le2qchn.jpg

E7406C18-85C9-4FAA-BC89-F62A75C18CA0_zpsx3gzmrjh.jpg

Looks like it was most likely made in Japan. A lot of these were made for souvenirs, some fairly good some not so. I don't believe it's made of briar, maybe pear wood. All that I've come across have a white stem. Without the proper tools you'll not find it easy to replace the stem. I would tell you to send it to me and I'll replace the stem for you but, I'm afraid just the cost of shipping both ways is more then the pipe is worth. Although that's up to you.

05, nice pipe!  How in love are you with that original stem?  Personally, I would have Mike Myers build me a new one.  You could send him the original stem and see if he could incorporate the brass in the new white Lucite stem.

I could be wrong but it doesn't look like wood at all , possibly meerschaum after it has colored up, but it looks too even, maybe some other kind of rock? like soap stone? or a steatite?

Kent, I'd send an Email, photos attached, to Floyd and Ken Norwood or Mike Myers.

http://www.norwoodspiperepair.com/

http://www.walkerpiperepair.com/

The Norwoods have a quicker turn around time; Mike Myers is known for his "no scuff" stem work.

It is possible the stem can be repaired as well (depending on what the stem is made of, it may be worth doing so), so I'd ask about that.

Good luck and please let us know how it works out.

In the past I've gotten too alarmed by stem cracks, etc. If it still smokes fairly well with the crack you might just go with it?